is it too late to start over? Need help

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I have started a lot of seeds a few weeks ago and I made a few mistakes.

First I don't think I used a good potting mix. I bought Scotts and when I allow to dry on top it seems to be getting hard. I was told to let it dry just a bit on top to help prevent damping off.

Second I don't think I have been adding enough fert. I am using 9-59-8 but I was told to use it every three to four waterings and I have noticed that now my tomatoes have turned yellow and have fell over.

Third I didn't have grow lights at the start of germination. I thought my south facing window would be good enough but they have gotten really leggy. I now have some shop lights on them and night in my sun room.

My sun room is about 10 degrees cooler at night which is about 55.

So my question is if then package says start 6-8 weeks before last frost date and I have to start over with 5 weeks to last frost date, do I have time to start over if need be? Also what about my seeks that need 12-20days to germ are they doomed? I have bought a lot of seeds from Park Seed and well I have grown a lot of stuff in greenhouses when I had access to one I didn't think seed starting would be that much harder than cuttings. I have been reading a lot on this website and I wish I had know about this site sooner!!!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

allanme79, you sound like me! Making mistakes is my best teacher with DG coming in a close second to clean up my mess! LOL Next year, winter sowing outside will be your seed's salvation. It's such a forgiving technique to sow seeds in containers, while leaving them outside for the elements to care for them. Both forgiving and forgetting....letting Mother Nature take care of them and you free up your sunroom. Right?, HA, not for me, I've winter sown for two years now and I still sow seeds inside my sunroom.

I'm no expert in anything except doing do-overs when it comes to sowing seeds inside (and probably a lot of other things in life too. 'sigh') Anyway, To answer your question, Sow away! Eventhough winter is officially over, you can still set out some containers that don't need cold strat. You may have to do more watering since the freeze thaw cycle of winter is basically over with. It's the soil temperture that will encourage germination for most seeds. For perennials, your bloom time may be a bit delayed based on the "book" bloom time. So, no big deal. For annuals, as long as the outside temperature is to their liking, they'll bloom and grow fast to produce seed and die. That's their reason for being.

I sow many kinds of perennial seeds all year long. Sowing most annuals too late in the year to transplant out will result in small plants and few blooms. (My September sown zinnias were pityful) However, there are several annuals like pansies that do well with late summer early fall sowing. And some perennials like violas are best sown in the fall....And then too, there's always direct sowing.

It's late or early depending on one's viewpoint, but I'm sure someone with more experience will jump in and help answer your question. I just saw zero replies to your thread and didn't want you left hanging too long without a response. I don't usually try to answer questions. Seems novice to novice doesn't always get your question answered so please take this post only as an opinion.
Happy Gardening rather it be winter sowing, spring sowing, Inside sowing or direct sowing! Just have fun learning through your mistakes.

Deborah

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Now I am confused. Are we talking about wintersowing seeds, outside in containers? Or indoor seed starting inside, with lights and grow mats?

Karen

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I have done both sowing indoors with lights and I am starting milk jugs outside for the first time. I have just learned that was possible.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't grow seeds inside and have no comments on that. But re: wintersowing and the issues you mentioned:

1. Never used Scotts. But with wintersowing there is virtually no damp-off. I've not had any signs of it in 2 years.

2. Fertilizer- you need none at all. Seeds have all their nutrition stored to get them through cotyledon stage. Only fertilize when true leaves appear.

3. No grow lights involved, and I've not seen legginess in wintersown seedlings, either.

Karen

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome allanme79.

Winter sowing can be done at various seasons, not just during Winter. We sow our seeds outdoors in containers. No damping off. No weak seedlings. No legginess. No grow lights. No heat mats. Only Mother Nature taking care of our seedlings and providing everything they need to germinate & grow. I would suggest reviewing our past threads and also read & re-read all the information at the winter sowing website. It will answer all your questions. http://www.wintersown.org

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will start some more in some jugs that I have!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.