Sticky subtance found on emerging seedlings

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

This glue like substance stubbornly binds together emerging basil seedlings and sterilized potting mix . I've had this problem for many years. I wonder if its naturally present in basil and other members of the mint family. Recently I've sown Dracocephalum and found this dominating substance again attempting to cut all light and air away from seedlings . I am fearful the dreaded damping off will take over.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post a picture of your seedlings?

I'm sorry I can't post a pic . I can take a pic but I have difficulty posting it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

if you know where the picture is on your computer, all you do is look below the box where you're typing your post, you'll see a little box that says "image". Click the browse button next to that box, and then go to whatever folder on your computer the picture is saved in.

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Frankford,Many seeds such as Salvias ,Scarlet Flax and basil have a gel-like protective coating.I read somewhere that it is to help germination as these plants are native to dry areas.It conserves moisture during the germination process.

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Although,I don't recall it ever affecting the soil or fully emerged seedlings unless you possibly sowed them very thickly.

Thanks everybody!!!Right now the seedlings are emerging more out of the soiless mix but their heads are covered heavily with potting mix and the cotyledons can't get any light. I suspect I will have to surgically remove the mix from the cotyledons. I hate to have to do this as it is a very difficult process with no guarantee that I will sucessfully do it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if you really have to worry--as long as the true leaves aren't covered with stuff when they emerge I think everything will be fine. So I'd probably leave it alone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.