Moldy soil

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I had everything ready to plant more seeds and my seed starting soil is moldy. It's in a bag. Can I use this or will it ruin the seeds?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Did your seed starting mix get wet inside the bag?

Personally, I would start with mold free soil.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't use it. I had a bag that was moldy and now I have fungus gnats. keep the bag close and either throw it out or return it to the store for an exchange. I would say the gnats were in the bag I had, and fungus gnats ( I am finding out) is very hard to get rid of :( But so far I haven't lost any of my plants *praying hard here that I don't!*

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, the soil was outside all year. It was what Lowes had left. I bought 3 bags in January. I guess just sitting in the garage caused it to mold. I read where you could put sand on top of the soil to get rid of fungus gnats from laying their eggs. I sprayed with diluted pyrethium. I guess I will get rid of the soil. Thanks for your comments. I thought if you could use leaf mold maybe mold wouldn't hurt. I have a full bag and a 1/2 bag of molded soil.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I would bring back the unopened bag of soil and either ask for a refund or a different bag.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.