Visting Hawaii - general information thread

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I took the great suggestion...starting this over on a new thread....easier to find etc.

Now...in Honolulu traffic is gnarly...so it is best to time your travels after rush hour. If you are staying in HNL and going against the flow, it is not so bad.

There are two GREAT Botanical Gardens in HNL: Fosters Bot. G. which is actually downtown, and Lyons Arboretum on the N. end of the city. Both are worth the effort.

Yes...Pele (Goddess of Fire) is flexing her whatevers and the Crater Rim drive is closed wherever the leward side is because the volcanic emissions are SO high!!! Kiluea Crater is spitting rocks and trash all over the place too. There IS lava flowing into the sea and the county has built a new viewing area and you CAN get up close and personal. You have to get there early because it fills up with people and closes at about 8pm.

We are in no danger except for the VOG ....but Jen will get it worse than we do as we are on the windward side.

Now...the volcano can change day to day...so here is a link http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/kilaueastatus.php Check out some of the pictures.....

Oh I love this thread!! DH and I are hoping to do a Hawaii trip later this year so I'll be keeping a close eye.

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for this thread!! My guy and I are planning a trip to Hawaii sometime this year (after we take the kids to Florida/Disney World) so I'm so glad you started this :))

Janis

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Which Island are you guys going to? We want details!

Luckily we only get the VOG if the wind is blowing from the south, which is not too often. Mostly we get the trades blowing almost all the time which keeps that nastl VOG away from us!

Nice to have a thread on Hawaii, so many people come here for their vacations. Mahalo Carol and Jeanne (from the other thread!)

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't have any idea yet LOL We are getting some deal through AAA I don't know the details... will post as soon as I know

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

FYI-- Check with the Carrier if this affects anyone-

"High fuel and competition claim first victim as Aloha Airlines files for bankruptcy

Aloha Airlines filed for bankruptcy Thursday, the second time in less than three years, citing high fuel prices and fierce inter-island air competition according to MarketWatch.

Aloha said in a press release that it was forced to match Mesa Air Group’s subsidiary Go Airline’s fares while facing unprecedented increases in the cost of jet fuel."

Oh I want to know about DEALS!!!

We are hoping to go for two weeks, spend a few days on the Big Island to see the volcano, and split the remainder between Kauai and Maui. I am mostly going for PLUMERIA and DH wants to do some scuba diving.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Botanical Gardens in Kauai are fabulous...and you can buy stuff there too.

It use to be a private garden at one time, now it is mainly a research center, scientists from all over the world are there studying various things- for ex:
The pertroleum cactus, finding ways really to make fuel from it, or the common perwinkle, cancer cures...it's a phenomonal place.. and the best part...there's seeds all over the place...

Here is a link, there are several botanical gardens..but this one will take your breath away
http://ntbg.org/index.php

This message was edited Mar 21, 2008 7:42 PM

Thanks for that suggestion and the link. I assume what I would be going to is the 'Visitors Center for McBryde Garden and Allerton Garden'? It looks like they have several locations.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Allerton Garden, although I'm sure there's not a bad garden there

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Just know that it is QUITE OK, if you see a tree or a plant in someones' yard to ask for a piece of it...nice if you offer to exchange something. Everyone is quite proud of their gardens. HOWEVER, all plant material taken back to the US Mainland from Hawaii has to go thru Ag. Inspection, put into the box it will travel in and sealed up.

Now...I don't think I would go with a bus...but I have often stopped when i see a Ti on my way home and the owner is always happy to cut a piece.

Carol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Put my Ti into the yard way too soon. Petted them all winter inside the house. Thought the cold weather was gone...put them into a planter outside. Well, you can guess. They are not in very good shape. Will be petting them in the near future and hope they survive.

KK

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, well I bought a coconut sprout at Alerton garden so I just fed-exed back to the mainland so I didn't have to carry it around, and I think some seeds fell into the box..hmm can't remember.

All of the other seeds and cuttings that I had bought..which I declared as I had an entire duffle bag full, ..I had to hit the agriculture guy over the head with the bag (figure of speech) for him to look at it.. Every other time when I didn't have a thing...they poked and searched..*sigh*

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Funny, Randy. Had to be examined once by Security, twice by the Ag guys.

KK

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I was upset because like I said..I had a huge duffle bag full of stuff, and I had to stop him and say..don't ya wanna look in here?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Man...a DUFfle bag full? are you kidding? Brah, dat be choke work....I tired!!!!

HAHAHA

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I always get paranoid bringing back all those cuttings I've purchased or been given by friends in HI. I worry I'll loose something that won't pass inspection, though I'm probably just being a worry wart. I'll be back in three weeks to get a few more plants - I've actually started shipping stuff back to the mainland lately rather than trying to pack it into luggage.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Our trip to Maui was in mid February to visit Braveheartsmom. Most magical place in the world. Her private garden is a wonderland. We started our first evening with a Luau. Not to be missed. The dancers were so much more than what they show in little snippets on TV. The second day we toured one side of the island. Such absolute beauty you feel you might be in paradise. The lava fields must be visited. Again, something that has never been shown on travel brochures or documentaries. Other worldly. Primitive. Such a contrast with other parts of the island. Third day we tried the ocean. Not being a swimmer I fought with a couple of lava rocks and the rocks won. AlohaHoya had joined us for the day and while she was trying to help Frank (Jen's DH) pull me from the depths, she sprained her toe to the point we thought it was broken. The beaches are magic...I am not. The same afternoon we took the whale watching boat. Few in this world can say they have watched the momma whale and her calf. I have. Another experience that puts the documentaries to shame. The humpback whales are in HI for the winter birthing their babies. That was the reason for choosing February. They are returning to Alaska about now. Oh, the second day we also took a trip in a glass boat over the coral reef. A diver brings various things of interest to the windows so you may see closer. NEVER EVER TOUCHING THE CORAL as it is dies immediately. Breathtaking. Sunday we took another drive up the mountain side of the volcano. The vegetation is different all over the island and pineapple and sugar cane fields were very interesting. Monday, Jen and Frank worked in order to keep their jobs going. We took a 15 passenger tour bus on The Heavenly Road to Hanna. I would suggest you don't miss this tour and don't take a car yourself. It is for the most part a one-lane mountain switch back road. Takes nerves of steel. At one point an automobile in front of us would take her part of the road from the middle. She backed 5 cars down the mountain until there was a wide enough place she would move to the right and let them pass. She was terrified. This side is called the rainy side of the island as it gets rain almost everyday and Jen's side is much more moderate, not less lush. Many of the plants that we keep as small houseplants and bring inside for the winter (or maybe year-around) grow wild and huge. Ti plants are actually Trees. Plain ole pothos ivy grows as ground cover and up the trees with huge leaves. Lots of taro farms on this side of the island. Much of the plants that we see as cut flowers at the local florist are wildflowers of Maui. Can't forget that the ocean is ever present.
Seldom ever is it out of your sight....and we whale watched continually with Frank pulling over frequently so we could watch the "blow" as they lazed around the sea. (Have I mis-called the ocean a sea?) Tuesday was another day of sight seeing and that evening we went to a pageant called "Ulalena". A story in dance of the beginning of Maui. Raised in a family of musicians, I have seen many musicals and dance performances. This can be compared to nothing else. I cannot even begin to describe it. It should be touring around the world but it is an exclusive to Maui so you will have to go there to see it. Should you have the good luck to find yourself there...make reservations first thing.

Jen's home and hospitality would have been enough had we never left her property. For breakfast you just have papaya, lime and banana all just picked from her trees. Mango was not in season so we had frozen from last crop, delicious. Would you care for an avocado? Just reach the limb closet to you that is hanging over the lania. I didn't know that avocado never ripens on the tree. You just leave it a couple of days on the counter and it is like butter...no bruises. Want a quick snack? A hand of bananas is hanging over the kitchen sink, help yourself. Are you ready? This is a list of part of the bounty in Jen's 1/2 acre: coconut, passionfruit, lichi, 7 types of banana, 3 types of fig, lime, pumelo, oranges, cherry, 4 types guava, papaya, 2 types avocado, soursop, sweetsop, starfruit, 2 types pomegranite, 6 types mango, coffee. I would not have a problem with 5 fruits a day. Oh, there is a wild tomato that is very small, grows everywhere there is space, like a weed. Needs no care whatever.

TRULY PARADISE.

Mahalo, mahalo, mahalo, Jen.

Princess Kilikina

That was just the fruit trees. A much longer list of other plants. Ahhhhh.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2008 12:24 PM

Thumbnail by LouC
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Maui sounds wonderful! DH and I have tickets for October. If anyone has suggestions for things to see, places to stay, etc., please let me know. I have been looking for a place to rent but the ones in our budget are condo resorts (ick). I have discovered we could go to the Big Island for a reasonable price so I'm toying with that idea too.

Things we would love to see and do are hiking, snorkeling and botanical gardens. We have two weeks so that should be plenty of time to see the most interesting stuff. I would also love to meet any DG members and see your garden. I would offer a tour of my own garden in return but not many people vacation in Carson City :)

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

LUCKY you!!! You should plan on bringing home some plumerias and gingers.... :)

Xai Xai, Mozambique

enjoy it!!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Just contact Jenny, Braveheartsmom, and she will give you advice. She actually manages condos for tourist. By far the most economical way to go. Send her a d-mail.

Virginia Beach, VA

Been to all the Islands and had been to Hawaii 4 times. it was cheaper to get tickets in Honolulu to go to the other Islands. there was a thread about Island hopping. The big Island was my favorite and been there twice. Belle

Keaau, HI

Aloha to all-

May I suggest July as good time to visit the Big Island? I say that because that is when the white pineapples are ripening. They are unbelievably delicious, not acidic, like pure pineapple sugar. August is good too, and there's the Orchid Show, and Big Island Nurserymen's shows in Hilo then.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Oh an orchid show on Hawaii sounds fabulous. Hmm, I guess I should be planning another trip for next year. I have a bad habit of trying to pack too much into one trip and just end up tired at the end instead of refreshed.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I used virtualtourist.com. It's a pretty cool site if you don't know anyone where you are going. post questions on there and someone will answer ya'.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

This might be helpful--I used to get at least 2 free trips to Hawaii every year when I raised rottweilers. It was cheaper to buy me a ticket and bring a dog there (for owner) as excess baggage than to just ship a dog. Now this was a while back- but worth checking into. I stayed on several islands as a guest to other Rottweiler owners. When I lived in Ft Lauderdale, some used to come and visit me. Anyway, I had a blast!

Xai Xai, Mozambique

WOW, lucky you!!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Re the animal, check with the individual airlines because a lot has changed in the animal area. I work with Continental, and we do not accept animals as excess baggage. We have what is called the "PetSafe" program, and they are part of our QuickPak program. Animals are all kept in a facility air conditioned or heated as needed, and only delivered to the aircraft 5 mins before etd in an airconditioned van. Many airlines have stopped accepting pets completely.

Airlines have also started scheduling smaller aircraft (narrow bodies) from the West Coast like 737-700, 800 and 900, as if it wasn't miserable enough for a 5 hour flight!!
Rj

This message was edited Aug 29, 2010 1:17 PM

Kapaa, HI

Quote from AlohaHoya :
I took the great suggestion...starting this over on a new thread....easier to find etc.

Now...in Honolulu traffic is gnarly...so it is best to time your travels after rush hour. If you are staying in HNL and going against the flow, it is not so bad.

There are two GREAT Botanical Gardens in HNL: Fosters Bot. G. which is actually downtown, and Lyons Arboretum on the N. end of the city. Both are worth the effort.

Yes...Pele (Goddess of Fire) is flexing her whatevers and the Crater Rim drive is closed wherever the leward side is because the volcanic emissions are SO high!!! Kiluea Crater is spitting rocks and trash all over the place too. There IS lava flowing into the sea and the county has built a new viewing area and you CAN get up close and personal. You have to get there early because it fills up with people and closes at about 8pm.

We are in no danger except for the VOG ....but Jen will get it worse than we do as we are on the windward side.

Now...the volcano can change day to day...so here is a link http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/kilaueastatus.php Check out some of the pictures.....

Honolulu has a small but great China Town. Every time I visit Honolulu I go to the many Vietnamese restaurants in China Town. . Also they really do it up on Chinese New Years. I like to go to the Maunakea Marketplace and have a bubble drink. I like to sit at the Market Place and watch the colorful show go by.. Its like being in the back alley in Hong Kong. Though I have been to China Town many times at night for someone who is not used to it it could be intimidating. It is the Bowery. I would probably stick to going in the daytime.

Also Honolulu has one of the best bus systems in the U.S. Its friendly and cheap. It can take you everywhere on the island. It is called The Bus and you can call int information line and they will give you directions and what bus to take just about anywhere.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Aloha, Aloha, my cyber ohana.

For some inexplicable reason, I haven't heard from the Tropical Zone Gardening forum in a long while. So, here I am... getting re-acquainted to this forum. It's nice to see so many familiar names: Princess K, RJH, Isaac, Carol of TBI, Jenny, the other Carol in the Everglades and so many others I can't quite place.

The hawai'ian islands have been on my mind quite a lot lately. I pulled out the photos and produced 2 small videos, which I uploaded to YouTube. You can see them at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwDO6VlbeWM

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWU-6erE88&feature=channel
(this one has Israel Kamakawiwo'ole singing Opa'E, one of my favorites. OK, I admit it: everything Israel sings is great).

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Picture of me with a kukui nut lei. It was that or purple dendrobium blooms. Purple is not my color.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

aaaah, why don't you like purple?? i think it would suite you just wonderfully....hehehehe...

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Isaac, I refuse to wear purple, violet, mauve, magenta and all those variations on the mixing of red and blue pigments. I will wear red, blue in any color or shade. I am man enough to eve wear pink and baby blue without any qualms. But purple, violet, mauve, magenta et al... Makes me look like a zombie. My orchid society's fetish color is a deep purple. Every time we have a meeting, a function or a sale, they have a raffle among members who wore their deep purple Delray Beach Orchid Society shirt. I am never included in the raffle and it's fine with me. It's an aversion; nothing logical about it.

It's the same thing for tarragon. I won't eat anything prepared with it, nor will I set foot inside a restaurant that uses it. I guess I'm just a crotchetty old bear. However, I would like to point out that I have been that way all my life.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, Pu'ole, what a refreshing trip to Ha-va-ee. You are the one responsible for my vast collection of Brudda Iz. Play some at least everyday. Did you know there is a website?

Princess Kilikina

Xai Xai, Mozambique

hahahaha, oh pu'ole you are so funny at times! lol, i on the other hand will NOT wear yellow! who knows why, but i just don't like it in clothes. i haven't tried pink yet, over here that is still a tad too girly, wouldn't want to have everybody staring at me, lol..
Princess, i have a question: where did your royal name, Kilikina come from, if i am be so bold as to ask someone of such great royalty?
:p

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

In October of 2007 Braveheartsmom, Jenny, invited us to her home for a week the following February, 2008, while the whales were in the bay at Maui. I thought it only proper and appropriate to try to learn a phrase or two in Hawaiian as it was a dream I had never ever dared to entertain. Christi or whatever variation is "Kilikina". And, of course, I am already Princess of quite a bit and Queen of Everything.

It was and is more than I ever imagined. There aren't cords to describe the beauty of the land or the hospitality of our hosts. I still play Brudda IZ's music and transport to THE ISLANDS. aaahhhhh

Aloha

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

This is always one of my favorite threads to follow. Victoria and I plan to marry next year in April on Kaua`i before we hop over to Maui for a week to honeymoon. For our engagement photos we couldn't quite make it back to the islands, but we settled for two real Hawaiian lei's and our local beach. The plumeria lei just baaarely made it over the long journey to SC. I am so thrilled to be exchanging vows there next year - Hawai`i has always been where my heart is and I can think of no more sacred place than to get married.

-Keoni (John)

Thumbnail by keonikale
Xai Xai, Mozambique

Congratulations, John!! hope you have a splendid wedding!
aah, now i understand, your royal highness! lol, many people have said that a lot of areas of Hawaii is similar to Mozambique. but then Mozambique is much farther away than Hawaii for most of you. But i still hope that one day one of you will come visit me here!!! :D
isaac

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

keonikale, I am assuming that is your name translated to "hawaiian" as well. If you haven't read James Michener's HAWAII, you owe it to yourself to do so before the next visit. I read it years ago and didn't want it to end. The movie with Julie Andrews wasn't even a poor imitation.

Michener's attention to detail makes him my favorite author. Towards the end of his life he let too many research assistants write parts of the book and it fell out of favor with me. SOUTH PACIFIC was also one of his.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks westraad.

'Keoni' is indeed 'John' in Hawaiian. 'Kale' is my middle name in Hawaiian. I read a good portion of that book after my first visit in 2002, and I also fell in love with the book. I need to finish it - I never read it cover to cover. I also thought the movie wasn't up to snuff with the book, but that seems to be the case with a lot of movies made from books. I've heard his Alaska book was equally good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.