Welcome MichiganderAmos53...Lake, mi

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Lets us welcome...Amos...a fellow Michigander...welcome to the best site for Gardening...for sure...Just set a spell and tell us about..what you like...and do...Any questions..just ask away...lost? ask....share..ok? thanks..for joining..

smiles..Diana

Thumbnail by WantabeGardener
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

welcome to the garden its a wonderful place to sit and relax a bit I love Lake been there lots of times
Gloria

Lake, MI

Hello,
Thank you for your nice welcome.
Let's see about me, well I love gardening. I have worked in four different greenhouses during my working days. Now that is a job. Hard work but I always said, "who needs to join a gym". I called it "my free Jane Fonda workout". To watch my seedling filled greenhouse in March to a color spectacular in May wow. And the smell nothing like it.
My dear fiance' bought me a Rion pro Greenhouse. It should be here in four weeks.
I was looking on the web for find out information about hobby greenhouses and came across this site. Looks like it is going to be a wonderful site with lots of great information.
We just bought this house last spring and when I moved in the yard was a empty. Nice is some ways, its like a blank canvas. I brought up two truckloads of plants from my yard downstate. That was a job and a half. I only wish I would have had more time to prepare the soil. It is so sandy of a soil up here. This Fall I put in over 400 tulips, daffs and crocus. So I am pretty excited to see my efforts. The tips of my tulips on the front of the shelterd side are peeping through. Spring is my favorite time of year.... Can't beat the smell.
Any who That is a little bit of who I am.
I hope to talk to you soon.
Amos

Thumbnail by Amos55
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Amos!

Congratulations on that wonderful gift of a greenhouse! Your house is so cute. I'm sure you will have fun fixing up the yard. I like the blank slate.

We are transplants from downstate as well. We moved up here to mid Michigan from Garden City. My husband and I are retired. We bought a small farm of 28 acres. Twenty acres are woods and I mow the other 8 acres weekly. :) Mowing is my favorite thing to do. We had the blank slate too and I had so much fun designing how I wanted things. I also brought up hundreds of perennials from my city garden. I also lugged up hundreds of cement cottage blocks that I didn't want to leave or have to buy over again. **ouch my back** We also have sandy soil for so many inches then hit clay. I had some soil brought in for my big perennial bed out front but I wasn't careful about who I bought it from and it was mostly leftover construction crap with some cow dung thrown in. I want to order some better soil to top dress it with. Some things actually grow better in the sandy poor soil like my herbs and lavender. I'll keep working on it. Leaving behind my beautiful dirt I'd worked years to improve was hard. I had to start all over again. We also put in a large 30 x 50 vegetable garden and had an 8 foot green vinyl clad cyclone fence put around it to keep the deer out. Vegetable gardening is new to me so I'm having fun learning about that and also planting lots of fruit trees and ornamental trees. I finally have the room to plant whatever I want to. :)

Have fun with your new place. With all your greenhouse experience I'm sure it will be beautiful in no time. Hope to hear all about it and see lots of pics.

Brenda

Lake, MI

Brenda,
So nice to meet you.
Your farm sounds wonderful. Do you have any live stock?
We had a farm in Oakland county only 10 acres. Ours was not a working farm. We did have horses boarded there. I did have free range chickens. In fact I am trying to talk boyfriend into making me a coop. I loved my chickens they were more like pets then anything else. I gave away so many eggs.
Brenda what else did you add to your soil?
This a picture of the little bit I completed this summer. I think we will build another pond over by the greenhouse
at some point. Summer is such a busy time of year there is always so much to do.
It sounds like you have a huge garden. Do you can any of the veggies?
Do you have any pictures of your gardens? would love to see them.
Amy

Thumbnail by Amos55
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Amy welcome to davesgarden! Glad to have you here with us, I missed seing you join,as i always try to send each new Michigander a note and a link to us here in the Michigan forum! But your here and your house and yards look great, and a GH coming how cool!
I luv making new gardens! You have to check out the co-ops and the classifieds here at daves, there are a bunch of plants to be had! We have a great group of people that hang out here too!

I live on 160 acre centennial crop farm-no livestock, just kids and cats!
We own 5 acres with the big farm house my inlaws have a house and the acres
My son rents the lil house right next to me with my 2 grand babies!!
I have a GH made out of windows, it already had a bunch of lilies potted and growing
I hope to get it all cleaned out and completely ready for the season
I luv the smell of spring ---was sniffing in the lily and dirt smell when they arrived-think i still have dirt in my nose!

Welcome to the site!!!
Dori

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Welcome, Amy to DG. I have visited friends at Lake a few times. I'm jealous of your new GH. I know you will enjoy it a lot. Let me introduce myself. I live in Bad Axe. I have about 1/2 an acre of daylilies and many other perennials. My DD and her family live 3 miles from me with 3 of my GC. My DS and his family live downstate, so I don't see them as often. I grow roses, TB Iris, ornamental grasses and lots of other perennials besides daylilies. I am busy with Rose Society, AHS, Daylily club, Master Gardeners and Special Olympics.I get to spend the winters in Florida and get a head start on my seedlings and cuttings before spring gets to Michigan.
Anyway, Welcome to the site

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Dave's Amos. Glad to meet you.

Cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.