Blooming in my garden now!!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Not sure on the name of this one.

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Possibly Gladiolus tristis

Marie, those tristis look gorgeous, I've been thinking about ordering some. How do they hold up to the heat?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Not sure yet Jess. I just planted them in the fall!!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

tristis is absolutely divine. Would go great with my amaryllis Lemon Lime.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

One more starting to open

Marie, you have some nice ones. I went glad crazy and should have some nice blooms, too, but later this summer. I can't even remember what exactly I planted, lol. But I'm sure it'll be a nice surprise.

OHHH! That tristis is stunning. I had to look it up in Plantfiles. Anni's Annuals carries it and has this comment
"The narrow leaves emerge in the Fall & grow throughout Winter. Bloom is in Spring. Allow to go dry & dormant during Summer."

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Lucky you to have glads in flower now marie! The closest I have is some I have in the greenhouse which have leaves several inches long, G. nanus Nymph.

G. tristis looks lovely, and strong too. It should be scented at night time too, but unless in a greenhouse the scent might not be noticed.

My other glads are starting to grow but I have yet to plant them, when the temperature is only 40F with snow it's not ideal for growing just now, but I will plant them soon in the greenhouse.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

other than a few inches of green, I don't have any glad action either. I was amazed that they're already going in AZ

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

G tristis is budded up and will bloom soon here. You can smell them at night already, with no greenhouse.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wallay I will have to check it out tonight and see if they are scented. Unfortunately they are almost done blooming.

Vossner I too am surprised they are already blooming but no complaining here!!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

The tristis are fragrant!! Now I have to figure out where I got them form.

That's great, and they should be too but it's nice to hear you can smell them! I have sown some seed, not sure what's happening with them though. I know I had a few of the var. aestivalis but they disappeared, I think a slug was the culprit but they might return.

They probably won't make seed as most glad speices require a certian pollinator, but they might. If they do you could grow more from seed, or they might increase by offset bulbs as many do.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I am hoping they increase buy offset bulbs. I love the looks of this one and the fragrance is an added plus too!! I honestly do not even remeber planting this one and I am thinking it must of already started multiplying with all the stalkes that I have blooming. I am sure witha s much as these cost per bulb I would have only purchased 1-2 of them.

Its a good offsetter and seed producer here--and its best quality is it tolerates summer moisture. Mine are just opening...

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Not fair! (suffering from serious zone envy . . . lol)

We'll be baking when yours are blooming Seander.
=)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yes so please share your pictures Seander. Because Debbie is right. We were already at 89 yesterday. I have another month of good blooms if I am lucky and then the furnace blast will start. Debbie I think you should start a new thread with all that you have blooming!!

Thank goodness its only 43F at night and 76F in the day here. It won't start baking until the end of June, we hope. I started a bunch of summer growing tropical glads Saturday--we shall see how they do over the summer. All the other seedlings are doing great--much improved over last year, with a bit of "tweeking" to the method.

Waiting for fence guy to show up and get started....Marie, check the PlantFiles forum everyday, that's where I put most of them.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Our furnace blast usually starts late April to early may but who knows we might get luck and it will be the end of May!!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

"Thank goodness its only 43F at night and 76F in the day here" That sounds like perfect weather to me!

It is perfection; esp. when the rest of the state was over 80F today. Cloudy and very windy down here the last two days. I was comparing to where Marie was. April and October are actually heaven down here.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Can't be heaven down there; Heaven is Victoria, BC (IMHO :-) LOL I am a long way from the Pacific Northwest . . . .sigh.

On the other hand, Texas has Texas Blue Bonnets!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

March and October are my favorite months here. April can also be a favorite although sometimes it is in the 90's. May can be toelrable at even a 100 but June July and August are just plain old Yuck!!

Marie,
that first one looks a lot like Glad tubergenii 'Charm' to me, now that I've seen mine blooming

Crozet, VA

What do you think? Even with the glare of the mirror, they are still beautiful.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw
Crozet, VA

A bit closer shot. I am surprised to hear that the glads haven't begun blooming in other places yet. I still have many more in the garden and have just been cutting the ones that are bent over to bring inside and enjoy. My favorite blooming flower.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw
Crozet, VA

This is another bouquet that I picked yesterday.

Thumbnail by rubyw
Crozet, VA

Beauties....

Thumbnail by rubyw

Stunning beauty Ruby! Reminds me of the glads my mom used to grow. She would fill her church on Sunday with them.

Crozet, VA

I was first interested in glads because they are something that my mother used to grow also. It has been very interesting the past three or so years that I have been gardening with any regularity to be reminded of the plants that I remember from childhood. I can also remember her having some gigantic Castor Bean plants and Hollyhocks too. These are two other things that I feel I need to have in my garden, to be reminded of her.

Thanks for posting Angele.

Ruby

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ruby your glads are gorgeous! I keep forgetting to take pictures of mine I have had different ones blooming for at least 3-4 months now!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

My first one for this year.
TwinLakesChef, Arlene, gave these to me at 2005 Iowa Round Up.
I think it is called First Love.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Love it!!

Horsens, Denmark

Hi Marie ;o))

So pretty!!! All of them :o)))
There is just something about glad, isn´t there :o))

Plum tart is blooming, it has a burgundy blue-ish undertone. I am very much in love :o))
The colour is hard to catch though

Thumbnail by zest
Horsens, Denmark

The trips are “visiting” this year as well, fortunately not all the flowers are effected.

Thumbnail by zest
Crozet, VA

Hi Zest, I am going to show my ignorance with this question, but what is trips?

Ruby

ruby, it is 'thrips' :)

Very nice glads, I have a couple of spikes almost ready in the greenhouse. It's too cold here outside but I do have those I planted in the ground last year which grew again and look like they should flower soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.