Spring show starting

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Here come some more photos.

My 'Peaches and Cream' is putting on a wonderful show this spring. I'm so glad I got it last year. I hope it stays small enough to be near my door for at least one more year. It is really loving the Spring rain and cool weather.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here are the leaves. They were so green later last year when I brought it home. It's clear where its name comes from.

Thumbnail by largosmom

I went out to one of my local nurseries yesterday. Here is a new Japanese Maple to me, it's Acer Japonicum 'Miegetsu'.

This one has large leaves that grow in layers. The surface has a bit of a chiseled look to it, and prounounced serations on the edge.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

First of two of the leaves.

Thumbnail by largosmom

It's quite a graceful tree. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is another cutie at one of the local nurseries. Goshiki Kotohime.

Looks like it is probably a popular bonsai specimen. The tiny leaves coming in were just too cute!

Thumbnail by largosmom

More leaves grown up.

Thumbnail by largosmom

I think it is in a one gallon pot.

Thumbnail by largosmom

The nursery had at least a couple of these upright green Japanese Maples 'Killarny'. I did not take a photo of the tree, just the leaves.

Thumbnail by largosmom

i accidentally posted 'Orangeola' to the thread asking about Katsura, oops. :-)

Back to my garden, here is my 'Tiny Tim' from last year, putting out some new leaves. I turned it around today to give it some sun on the other side.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Last year, it had a very globular shape, partly because of my pruning. I am interested to see what it will do this year.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Last year, the later leaves got a very coppery sheen to them as they came in.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Oregon Sunset is also getting going. I gave it quite a haircut last year, so I'm looking forward to see how much it recovers with regard to the length of the branches. I may be wiring it or otherwise trying to bend the trunk some more this year.

I was surprised to see it's blossoms, they dangle quite low under the leaves and match exactly in color.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

The leaf shape is quite nice too. It will get some green and bronze on them later.

Thumbnail by largosmom

This is one of my new purchases this year. It's been potted up and will be moved to another location to see how it survives with a fair amount of sun on the other side of my house, but until I get back off vacation, it will stay where it can get some water.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Simple classic palmatum leaves on Hogyoku.

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful photos Laura, I did like the 'Miegetsu' and the orangeola is a lovely shape. Hope that it stays small enough for your front door for a long time. That could be arranged with a small pair of clippers and a little daring.

I will probably try and keep the Peaches and Cream trimmed, it may have to move to the patio side of the step, where it will have some ability to get taller without blocking the mail box. The orangeola is staying at the nursery, though, sorry to mix things up so much! I'm trying to decide whether or not to put the Hogyoku into the street-side yard with my Sango Kaku and Aconitifolium. Remember my dreams of a little "grove"? I have had no germination yet from the Aconitifolium seeds I planted in the winter, but I may yet. I have a pot out of doors and two containers indoors, and not a single sign yet of a pip coming up. I've got to look up more about Miegetsu, but as it's a Japonicum, it might be a nice companion for the Aconitifolium. I had really hoped for something with a bit of red to its leaf, though. I want at least one more tree out there, it could be Hogyoku, and it could be something else.

I'm really disappointed in my Villa Tarranto. It's coming out mostly green again. I really need s red leafed tree in the spot where I am putting it, and something that doesn't get more than about 10-12 feet tall or it will provide too much shade. It gets quite a bit of sun, so should color up (or at least that is what I thought, anyway). I may give it away or sell it, as I don't have a great spot elsewhere in the yard for it. I may look for another Beni Otaki, which was the original tree I wanted in that spot. I realy want the linearlobum leaf style there too.

Walhalla, SC

Sorry shokami but i think that is not crimson queen. CQ is somewhat dissected...I believe the picture I posted above is CQ. I'd say that tree resides in the bloodgood/nomura group.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Laura are you sure that the tree you got was a Villa Taranto? The leaves are definitely different from anything I've seen. Mine is quite red in the spring but sure doesn't stay that way.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Tsukushi gata

Thumbnail by doss
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

oh sorry, i had lost the tag so i took a shot! thanks!

I'll post a pic of the Villa Tarranto tomorrow night. I guess it could have been mismarked.

Laura

Walhalla, SC

Beni maiko from the nursery:

Thumbnail by mattlwfowler

Really pretty!

Winnetka, IL

I can finally post pics of my JMs breaking bud!

Here's my 'Orange Dream':

Thumbnail by plantaholic186
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a nice photo. I love the way the red parts curl back from the leaves.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

There seems to be several "varieties" of Villa T I think yours Doss is correct, or at least the original one ...the ones I Have bought have been less, much less linearlobum shaped. and in between Linearlobum and Matsumarae.some mixed ones ...i'd say more linearlobum than matsumarae but not fully like yours. and have never gotten that red. it has both red and green ... and it is VERY dependent on sunlight top get redder but will burn in H--l if it gets too much by mid summer. David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That Villa Taranto is in the perfect place. It does get afternoon shade but it gets plenty of sun.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

They are beginning to leaf out, and what a lovely sight. An unidentified red:

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

An unidentified green:

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Another unidentified green next to the Coral bark:

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Shishigashira

Thumbnail by balvenie