Spring show starting

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, I'm a few weeks behind Doss, and others, but still a bit early for my area. Here are a few bud and leaf shots for those of you in Northerly climates.

First one is JM 'Peaches and Cream'. I bought it in leaf last year, so am looking forward to the spring show for this one.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

My Fern Leaf JM ('Aconitfolium') is also showing some really hairy looking buds!

Thumbnail by largosmom

Last, one of my newer additions from late winter, to replace one I lost last year, is 'Baby Lace'. This is only a one-gallon size plant, so has lots of growing to do. I can see it will need to be kept in a protected area if it always wants to leaf out early.

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

very fun Laura. Mine are popping out now too. All of them are showing growth and that always makes me happy. I didn't get all of the dead leaves out of the Koto no Ito though so it looks a little scroungy. The good news is that it's too big to get them out without a ladder. The bad news is that even with a ladder it's almost impossible to pull the old leaves off.

Great photos by the way. I have to get my camera out.

Walhalla, SC

The first of my maples is 'katsura' (large form) as usual...although I have a handful that I received elsewhere that have already leafed out.

Thumbnail by mattlwfowler

Here comes some more:

I have to check the tag again, but I'm pretty sure that this one is Mikawa Yatsubusa. I'll post a different pic of the whole baby tree in another thread after I confirm. It's one of my new ones this spring.

This one looks like it's pointing in opposite directions..."he went...that a way <---->"

This message was edited Mar 24, 2008 9:58 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

Two more new babies,

Acer palmatum Hogyoku is the taller one. It isn't yet leafed out, but the buds are swelling.

The little one is Acer shirasawanum Aureum. I lost my big one last year and these little ones were one third off a couple of weeks back, so I decided to try a little Aureum and see what happens.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Viridis is just getting started, a couple of leaves are popping out, but not much yet.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Viridis beginning to open

Thumbnail by largosmom

Peaches and cream is really starting to open, this one is exciting to me!

Thumbnail by largosmom

My Aconitifolium is beginning to push out flowers.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Not quite open, maybe tomorrow!

Thumbnail by largosmom
Walhalla, SC

Thought I'd revive this thread a little.

This is supposedly one of the forms of butterfly (possibly kocho nishiki?). It seems to be an unusually variegated strain with almost no green as you can see. It reminded me of a flowering apricot or something when I first saw it.

Walhalla, SC

This tree was unlabeled, but I believe it is Crimson queen based on the habit, texture and leaf shape. It was glowing particularly well at sunset.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Love your 'butterfly' equivalent matt.
Here's Germaine's Gyration early spring form.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Koto No Ito flowering

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beni Fushigi

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Butterfly on the right and aconitfolium on the left. I've been able to get the aconitfolium so it isn't so square this year. That's a relief.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Villa TAranto

Thumbnail by doss
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I love the pictures and updates, thanks so much for sharing everyone!

So far, the buds are swelling on my 'murasaki kiyohime', 'beni schichihenge' and 'emerald lace'. I am thrilled that these babies made it through our long hard Iowa winter - one of the coldest in many years. We're not out of the woods by any means and I'm sure we'll have a few more frosts, so everyone stays in the unheated detached garage. I have taken them outside on a few of the nice days for a few hours.

Isn't spring GREAT?

Elizabeth

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Spring is great elizabeth. I'm glad that your babies made it through the winter. How nice they have a home until the danger of frost goes by.

Walhalla, SC

Jerre schwartz (sp?) is starting to color up a bit after being brought out of the greenhouse.

Looking nice! I've got more pics I need to post, but haven't gotten them off the camera yet.

Laura

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I have a 'Jerre Swartz' (that is how the nursery I purchased it from spells it) also! Not doing anything much yet, though. My 'Ariadne' and 'Ukigumo' are still sleeping, too.

Elizabeth

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

That is a good thing ...having early photos is nice...and in some areas this is NOT early. But you should be extreemly happy in 5a your trees are sound asleep for another 2 weeks or so...99% of mine havve shown no signs of bud burst making me a happy camper ;>)...!!!! David

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

David, I am glad that the three are still sleeping, and I am amazed that my tiny 'beni schichihenge' started to swell last week. It is literally nothing more than a tiny stick, the smallest of all my baby grafts. I am just besides myself that it made it through this past winter.

Elizabeth

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Last winter for many of us northeners was a good test for winter hardiness ...with a vaiety of bad winter storms and cold long lasting weather similar to what we last got in the 80's... But at least here, we didn't get any 15-20 below 1980's type temps not even for a night let alone for several nights... That may be the real test of hardiness....but as zones have changed with global warming we may not ever get that again or maybe on a 50 year basis like last years spring debacle.But I would say that is something to fear if it ever does happen and will give us more hardiness data than we now have ...hopefully we will never get that data.David

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

ok..... my turn to add a few of my own acers... :)
first one is an shiras auream...has a golden green tone to it all year.. also known as full moon, will up date pics later when open

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

another pic of auream

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

here is my little coral bark.. just starting to come out. beautiful buttery yellow leaves in fall.

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

my i believe crimson queen

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

my very cool green lace leaf........will send anothe pic later.. very nice little tree

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

close up of the lace leaf

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

my little lions mane has grown alot since last year... nice a bushy

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

my pride and joy... dancing peacock... will have to look up latin forgot it lol most stunning in fall

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

just a vine maple but pretty.. i keep twisting it

Thumbnail by shokami2
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Too depressing...it will be June before mine start to leaf.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

hang in there... june will be here before you know it! then you'll have pics to show us!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful shokami, Your 'Dancing Peacock' is 'Aconitifolium'

Todd, take heart in the fact that most of us will be waiting for you to post pics of them as they burst forth! About then is when I retreat from the heat and humidity to my air conditioned house.

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.