Post Your Most Memorable Previous Experiment

Norfolk, VA

This is the F2 progeny from a 3 way cross I did 4 years ago

Thumbnail by MGMan
South Hamilton, MA

'Reddy Set' SDB iris

Thumbnail by irisMA Thumbnail by irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

Sorry, same flower, I was having a bit of trouble with the photo.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hello all,

I admire your patience in waiting years to see the results of your iris crosses. I am much less patient, and find the quick "turnover" of zinnias to be more to my liking. By growing zinnias both outdoors and indoors I can get four generations a year.

My recent crosses between two mutants, a tubular petaled zinnia and a star-point petaled zinnia have resulted in two new flower forms in my zinnias, in addition to my previous Tubular Petaled zinnias and Exotic Petaled zinnias.. I refer to my main new strain as Razzle Dazzle because its blooms resemble the Gaillardia strain by the same name.

A variant of the Razzle Dazzles has blooms that remind me a bit of sheep wool, so I refer to them as a strain of Woolly zinnias. The Woollies have petals that contain internal anther bundles and stigmas, in the same functional layout as the pollen florets of conventional zinnias.

The first four are Razzle Dazzles. The zinnia on the right is one of my Woollies.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man Thumbnail by Zen_Man Thumbnail by Zen_Man Thumbnail by Zen_Man Thumbnail by Zen_Man

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.