CLOSED: Citrus Microcarpa Bonge

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

why not?

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Well, for one thing, it lacks at least one of the macronutrients altogether- Sulfur. And, as far as the entire 14 essential elements, well forget it. I come from the commercial side of this industry, and without a lot of elaboration I have access to the best quality products and equipment, not to mention that I have literally participated in fertilizer quality studies. In a nutshell, as the homeowner market becomes more sophisiticated, it will demand for better products ultimately. However, there will always be that element/mentality of "the secret is in the fertilizer" versus the actual sophistication and expertise of the gardner. I also happen to know the family that originated the Peter's company, the competition they faced from Miracle Grow, that they sold out to a corporate entity, that that buyout corporate entity destroyed their product and name and they were powerless to start all over with the Peter's name, thus the second generation got back into the fertilizer industry using his first name. Those are now mostly commercial products, but also available to homeowners, and doubtfully the kind of product you will ever see in a mass marketing chain store. Which leads me to another diatribe, now that you've asked. #1. Fertilizers generally only list NPK content. #2. You have to know what I know to understand the ingredient list for that NPK ratio, which has a lot to do with chemistry, and translates to some things are made from crap, and are really entirely not required to be disclosed to you. #3. On top of that, fertilizer content is not regulated to a very great extent and can literally contain toxic materials in addition to the basic NPK ratios or even minor nutrient analysis and you would never know it. Now we are getting way beyond the scope of why I hate Miracle Grow, so let's get back to the corporate approach to business, which maybe you can relate to more. Peter's detoriated enough when the Peter's family sold the business. It got even worse when Miracle Grow bought it out/merged. Here is the MAJOR problem I have with miracle grow- they've always marketed themselves as the "dumned-down product," as in, you can use it each time you water, and it makes incredible plants. BS. They aren't making a product with any real quality, they are only making a product that won't burn the crap out of plants for the More Is Better mentality of Americans. It's part generational, part cultural, but I can't tell you how many private people when complimenting my professional work talked with beaming pride about how they "fed their plant every week, and it was just great stuff." That means the stuff is so watered down, it's "safe" for homeowner use. And, you know what, for a Home Depot product, safe is probably a good thing. They took away Orthene, Diazinon and Dursban. With the ratio of supplementation into retail pesticide products of neonicatinoid alternative pesticides in conjunction with the crash of the bee population, maybe homeowners should have nothing to apply but miracle grow and pyrethrins. And I could also rant about herbicides, but I definitely can't blame homeowners for the worldwide loss of the frog population. There will probably be some fertilizer regulation on a state by state basis in the works for homeowners, but more in relation to phosphorus content only and eutrophism- never mind that Ironite literally poisoned people and pets- they'll leave that compliance to private litigation lawsuits rather than really caring about regulating an industry or understanding soil chemistry on a specific geographical basis.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Very interesting stuff. Sounds like I should stick with my horse manure. It has worked well for me thus far.

I really loved that diazinon. When I found out it was going off the market I bought up a bunch. It works wonders on fire ants. We don't have them here in Ky but they were the bain (sp?) of my existence down the bayou.

I love the suprises here on DG. You never know what the background is when you look at someone's screen name and then you get to chatting with them and find out all kind of neat things. Keep all that important info coming. ( In laymen's terms for this dummy, please. LOL ) Seems we won't ever get the whole truth from the industry.

Thanks for that information. Good to know. What would you recommend?

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Cajun you're not a dummy, i think we all can keep learning. Lord knows i'm not an expert. I picked up some tips from some old timers. Listened to my dad while dropping seeds while he hoed, and still listen to him. I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

One of our Japanese Persimmons, not ripe yet, it's a dwarf. I will have to look up the name.

Thumbnail by RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Starting to ripen, but they have to go in the house to fully ripen. If they fell from the tree ripe they would be a pile of mush.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

On the stove you can kind of get a picture of the size.
Note the clean palm seeds to the right in plastic trays

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Needless to say but, these fruits are last years crop.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Will the Japanese persimmon grow here where I live?

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

I'm guessing but, i think they would. Since their named Japanese and it gets cold over there i think they would.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I'll have to check it out. I'd love to have one. Have you ever tried dehydrating the fruit?

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

I've never gave it a thought until now. Very interesting, When ripe they are probably about 80% juice. Could they still be dehydrated? We always have lots of them and i hate to see them rot. Also, where can i find a dehydrater?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

There is a thread in the sustained living forum on excaliber dehydrators right now. They are waiting to hear from the company on final details for a special price for DGers. You can also find them on ebay.

I would think the persimmons would make great dehydrated snacks or fruit leather. It would be really sweet.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

A "special price sounds encouraging" to DGers. My sister had dehydrator in Seattle but i've never seen one here. Maybe i need to look harder. I love the dehydrated Apricots from the grocery store.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I think you can buy one at wal mart. I have one but don't remember exactly where I got it.

Hey! My Bearss Seedless Lime tree has some buds! I'm so excited! Hopefully the deer won't eat the buds and I will see flowers and fruits. I could really careless about the fruits. I just want to smell the flowers!

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info CoreHHI, i was in that store today and didn't think about a dehydrator. Doing your own would sure be less costly. I'm guessing they come in different sizes. I might could whip up a batch of trail mix with the help of one of those, some cereal, and some nuts.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Whenever we have plans to go on a road trip or camping, I always make up a batch. I have a small round dehydrator. No whistles or bells but it gets the job done. (eventually LOL) I think mine came from Big Lots many years ago and I paid a whopping $14 for it.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

You got a deal, yeah a long trip requires something to munch on. By the way, did you get the bread recipe from your mom?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I haven't talked to her yet. I need to call her tonight.

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

Ahh calamansi. I love this fruit but you shouldn't eat this alone (I learned the hard way, it's so sour). This plant normally sells for $ 35.00 CA dollars @ asian nurseries. We also use this for juices and marinades. Calamansi + soy sauce is really good with fish/meats and rice. We substitute this mixture by mixing lemons and soy sauce instead here in Canada because they are not available fresh unfortunately. I just ordered some seeds and hopefully they'll be coming soon. btw, Filipinos use these citruses when they are green, not orange. And another thing that it's used for in Filipino cuisine/dishes is that you squeeze the juice on your noodles...vermicelli noodles, rice stick noodles etc. etc. But yeah all you guys should try it as a juice as one of you guys mentioned below/above. It's like lemonade but better =p heheh.

Mr. Chia,

Would you like to trade? I have fresh seeds of Salvia przewalskii hybrid, it is a native species of China.

Joseph

Thumbnail by
Kuching, Sarawak,, Malaysia

Hi Joseph,

I though u have swap this seed with me before? I just add in Harry Potter (Adenium) in my trade list, which I have told u before, if u still need it, I can send to u.

Chia

So sorry, Chia, I had forgotten what I traded to you. Want to try another Chinese Salvia hybrid of unknown lineage? Nice purple, with white reproductive structures, flowers 2nd year from seed, very nice.

Thumbnail by

Not this kind of flower, I prefer some bigger leaf plant, which can plant in pot and put inside my house.

I'll check around to see what I have. Have fun trading!

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 9b)

Hi, RainbowRider, I just noticed you have the Calamonda citrus. I would love to have some seeds, if you still have any! Thanks Krispi Could you dmail me with your address so I can get together on price. My address: Sylvia Burns, 2080 Casa Sierra, Canyon Lake, Texas 78133.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 9b)

Hi Chia, I just found this site, am very interested in your Citrus Microcarpa Bonge seeds. Are they sweeter than the Calamonda organges? Please demail me. Krispi

Sparta, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey Chia ,, Iwould love some citrus seed also . Thanks Connie D- mail me.

hi Krispi,
I don't take fresh Citrus Microcarpa Bonge, I planted as Bonsai for my own garden. as we Chinese believe, with many Citrus fruits, it means good luck for us. I have receive your address.

Hi Hughconnie, please d-mail to me. Thanks.

Chia

Brewton, AL(Zone 8b)

Hello Chia...I was just wodering if you might have any seeds left. I collect citrus plant and I love to cook asian dishes so this plant would be amazing. Please let me know if so and if there is anything I can send to you. Thanks so much.

Philippe

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Can you grow it in zone 5 It sounds like a fun one to me.

I'm not sure about zone 5. But this plant also planted in countries having four season.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Great what can I send you?
Robin

arejay, you can probably grow it in a container and bring it in when you have frost. But from seeds, it may be a long while before you get fruits.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes it will be a while I have no doubt !! But what the heck time is of the essence isn't it?
Robin
Once you pass 40 anyway!!!

LOL! Yes. But it goes by fast!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.