Is now the time?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I wanted to know if now is a good time to start planting native young shrubs and trees. There's no threat of drought right now and nobody is mowing yet (the lawnmower is the biggest problem my plants face).

I know people say that fall is the best time to plant but I've almost never been successful with fall planting. My plants almost always die.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Drought? It is supposed to rain tonight . . ..

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

This is an excellent time to plant while the temperatures are still cool and we are receiving sufficient moisture.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I mean, because the moisture in the soil doesn't evaporate when it's cool. Atleast, not here it doesn't.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

CaptMicha, good to see you, where have you been hanging out? :)) It's an excellent time to plant trees and shrubs right now. Most of their buds are swelling and getting ready to pop which means new root growth isn't far behind! If you can get them in the ground early, so much the better, as soon as they hit the ground they'll quickly take off! I actually had a few hours to play in the gardens Friday afternoon and planted a few shrubs before the rains. Was psyched to get back out there yesterday when the sun was shining instead of the rain they had predicted - I have so many trees to plant! Unfortunately the overnight rains destroyed those plans - just enough to turn our red clay sticky and impossible for planting so I had to be satisfied to do a little raking instead :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.