Question about larva in Iris seed

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

I received some Iris seed and they seem to be infested with some kind of Larva that is in the seed then eats its way out. Does anyone have an idea about what this nasty white icky thing is?

Should I destroy all the seed or can some be salvaged?

Any help would be appreciated!!

May Princess Kathy have everything she wants today and may she know I love miss Traci!!

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like the Iris borer. Yuck.

Carol

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/irisbor.htm

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

So they can get in the seeds as well? It looks like one but I had never read anything about the seeds!! Any advice-are they salvigable or should I trash them? I wanted to freeze the little nasties but the plant is a zone 8 and wasn't sure if I could-they are out on my porch at the moment where it is 30º. I have them double bagged until I found out what they were.
Thanks so much for your help!!

Hello Princess Kathy-know that I am very fond of Miss Joni

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

I musread you question the first time and was thinking of the rhizomes. Here's what I found about seed infestations.

"Iris weevil, Mononychus vulpeculus.
This insect breeds in the seed pods of blueflag iris (Iris versicolor) and may be found in European, Japanese, and native cultivated iris. It creates many small holes in the seed pods. Eggs are deposited in the iris ovary. The larvae feed on the seeds. The adult weevil is black and 1/5" long. It emerges when the pods open. One generation occurs each year from overwintering adults. Removal and destruction of all flower heads as soon as the blossoms wither should reduce the infestation."

Carol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I've had insect larvae eat seeds inside the seed pod, but have never saw an insect eat from the inside out of the seeds. Normally once seeds have been removed from the pod and dried, they are resistant to damage. If you would post a photo, maybe someone can tell you more. I would at least plant them and hope for the best.

The larvae that I have experienced, enter the green seed pods and are evident by small entry holes. I've never saw an adult insect, only larvae. I try to avoid insecticides if at all possible, but have not been able to control these guys with pyrethrins or insecticidal soap. My best control has been spraying all the pods weekly after the first signs of insects with Ortho Rose and Flower Spray containing "Biefenthrin" As a preventative, spray all pods, not just the ones showing signs of damage.You can also harvest the pods slightly early to minimize loss of seeds. I have sucessfully germinated seeds from a pod that was accidently broken off after only 24 days. Pods normally take 35 to 45 days before they start to turn brown and begin to crack open.

I've been hybridizing for about 5 or 6 years and have only had this problem occur during two seasons. Please remember, if you have pollinated a flower in hopes of getting a seed pod, do not snap off the spent flower. You will lose the ovary and the hoped for seed pod.

Here's a photo of an infected pod.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Larvae inside green pod.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Another look...

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Full shot of larvae beside damaged seeds.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This ones a little gross. Larvae looks like he's coming out of the seed, but had actually eaten through from the other side.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Seed pod opened to show embyo eaten. Some seeds have very small holes where the larvae has entered the seeds, or, they may have just inflicted superficial damage to the outer coating. Use a toothpick to gently feel inside the hole to see the extent of the damage. Seeds with damage to only the outer coating are still viable.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

Thanks so very much to everyone!!
Those photos look like what I have going here. Post #4678970 that looks like some white stuff I saw holding the seeds together...I will venture out there and try to get a photo...it just is nasty-sorry-I never hated bugs but for some reason when I saw those nasty Hollyhock pointy nose bugs last fall all marching in a row to the top of a baggie that someone sent-I think that has scarred me for life!!

So, these Larvae-do you know what they are...they were from a trade so fortunately they are not on my Iris'. Should I destroy all seeds or can I save some? These seeds are for some Iris' that I don't have-they were called Dietes tricolor but I believe they are bicolor.

Will try to get the photos...I squished most so there may be nothing left to take a photo of, and it is pretty cold-just at freezing so they may not be moving-LOL

Just saw your other post-you mean I need to open these bags-LOL If I feel around-what if there is something squishy in there and will you come over and do it for me??
OK-I will be brave and look into this

Thanks so much,
Robbi

Princess Kathy-May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun.
And find your shoulder to light on.
To bring you luck, happiness and riches.
Today, tomorrow and beyond.
I love Miss Rachael

This message was edited Mar 18, 2008 12:57 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Robbi,

You could spray a little insectcide, or something safer that would killl them into the baggie. If any of the seeds look whole, I would not hesitate to plant them. I'm not familiar with the type seeds you have. Here's a photo of dried tall bearded iris seed. They are about 1/4 to 3/8 inches across.

Thumbnail by zacattack
South Hamilton, MA

It looks a lot like borer, but may be the verbeena bud moth. If seed coat is not eaten, the seeds should be all right.

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

I want to thank each and everyone of you for helping and making me feel at home here!! I have FINALLY gotten the courage to poke around and see which has holes and which do not.
I kept chickening out but I so wanted to plant these seeds so I had to do it. If any of you are interested in a few Dietes seeds-just shout!! Thanks so much again!!
Robbi

Marshall, TX

Hey, Dan. Was tickled to see you posting here. Kinda off subject, but my seedlings came up great thanks to your website. But my password won't open your instruction pages anymore. Do I have to pay for another subscription?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Vickie... good to hear from you. I'm glad your seedlings are doing good. No subscription is needed to access the web site. Info is gratis to those that ask... You have d-mail.

Dan

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

there bad in Oklahoma i spray and use nylon hose to bag them
TB and La Iris some even get in daylilly seed pods but seem to prefer Iris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.