Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Question about larva in Iris seed, 1 by zacattack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright zacattack

In reply to: Question about larva in Iris seed

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Question about larva in Iris seed
zacattack wrote:
I've had insect larvae eat seeds inside the seed pod, but have never saw an insect eat from the inside out of the seeds. Normally once seeds have been removed from the pod and dried, they are resistant to damage. If you would post a photo, maybe someone can tell you more. I would at least plant them and hope for the best.

The larvae that I have experienced, enter the green seed pods and are evident by small entry holes. I've never saw an adult insect, only larvae. I try to avoid insecticides if at all possible, but have not been able to control these guys with pyrethrins or insecticidal soap. My best control has been spraying all the pods weekly after the first signs of insects with Ortho Rose and Flower Spray containing "Biefenthrin" As a preventative, spray all pods, not just the ones showing signs of damage.You can also harvest the pods slightly early to minimize loss of seeds. I have sucessfully germinated seeds from a pod that was accidently broken off after only 24 days. Pods normally take 35 to 45 days before they start to turn brown and begin to crack open.

I've been hybridizing for about 5 or 6 years and have only had this problem occur during two seasons. Please remember, if you have pollinated a flower in hopes of getting a seed pod, do not snap off the spent flower. You will lose the ovary and the hoped for seed pod.

Here's a photo of an infected pod.