BEST DENTIST IN DC AREA???

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I have had a very bad experience in the past year with my (NOW FORMER) dentist whom I used to think was fantastic. If you can recommend the Best of the Best in DC (or nearby) -- someone who can fix this crown which repeatedly comes out, I would be eternally grateful.

Stupid crown *just* fell out again. Unbelievable.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We really like Dr West, before she joined the practice our dentist was Dr. Kantakevich... but they're up off Rockville Pike, across from White Flint Mall (Kantakevich, Doring, and West). She did my first crown last year and did a good & careful job of it. We like these folks well enough that we're still going there years after we moved up to Frederick. :-)

Sorry you're having trouble... You don't need anything to distract you from puppy cuddles this weekend! *HUGS*

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmm ... interesting, Critter ... that sounds like the same general vicinity of a dentist that my next door neighbor had highly recommended to me last Spring, just after my problems began. I'll have to double-check to see if this could be the same dentist. I blew it off at the time, thinking that it was too far out of the way, but heck ... I'll take it if it's someone highly skilled.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The dental hygenist there (Diane) is also fabulous... she's at least half the reason we keep going, since it's almost harder to find somebody who does a good job cleaning than somebody who can do a filling (my crown last year was the first major thing either of us have needed).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LMK if you have trouble googling to find them, and I'll dig up a number.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

And as long as you're up that way... There's a Trader Joe's up on Rockville Pike and also there's G Street Fabrics -- huge selection upstairs plus a downstairs area with upholstery fabrics and lovely remnant bins (think throw pillows)... Maybe you need a neat fabric for a doggie bed?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm very familiar with that area, yes. G Street is "THE" place to go, for sure. And, yes, I am thinking of covering some throw pillows for a couch, as a matter of fact. There's a TJ's in Annapolis that I go to. Rockville has lots of great Chinese/Taiwanese restaurants and grocers as well. Yum.

I'll be researching a variety of dentists before I make any final decisions -- I really need to find someone who can undo the damage that the other guy apparently caused.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

So sorry to hear this, how is the tooth feeling? If you can't get a dentist right away, clean out the crown of any loose material, dry and put some vasaline in the crown and put it back in the tooth, if there is enough tooth left for it to sit on. This will protect the tooth until you can see the dentist.
I work for a great dentist but to bad you are so far away.
Chris

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Chris! The tooth feels fine. I'm more frustrated than anything else. I used to love this guy, but then a series of "incidents" happened a year ago. It started with an assistant's sneeze onto her glove, then immediately placing that hand into my mouth! Week or so later and I had the first cold that I'd had in years ... which developed into bronchitis and blew my running schedule. My dentist didn't take this incident as seriously as I would have liked. He even replied with, "you should see what goes on in hospitals every day." I was appalled.

Shortly thereafter, he fitted me incorrectly for the crown (there was a 2mm height difference!), then the permanent crown fell out within a month. Throughout, he displayed arrogance that I had not seen in him before -- he seemed to even imply that the height difference was *my* fault, not his(?). Bizzzah -- I've never had such a bad experience with a dentist.

OMG! I would run not walk to a new dentist. I work the front desk and I will get up and wash my hands if I happen to catch a sneeze.
I have seen my boss redo crowns if there is a major problem, most times we can adjust the bite if the crown is a little high. But we always tell the patient to come back even that day after the numbness wears off and they think the crown is high.
Just make sure you protect the remaining tooth under the crown, the new DDS needs something to cement the crown onto, he may be able to adjust the crown down and recement it, hate to see you pay for another new crown.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah, creepy, isn't it? After it fell out the first time - within a month of getting it - he used his superduper cement that supposedly doesn't come undone. Umm....

Pretty sure that I'm paying for a new crown. I'm not sure what/how to follow up with the Old dentist though ... I'm not a litigious person, yet I believe that he owes me *something* for this experience (like a good crown from a good dentist!). hah

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

We're happy with ours in Gambrills. Five of us have been going for at least six years, several fillings and a couple of crowns.Got her from two friends who used her and recommended.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

waugh chapel?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Just a little north ofthere From Waugh Chapel, north about 2 miles then left at light (Maryland Muffler) then about 1 mi, a right on New Cut (Post office) then 1/2 mi on right.
Dr Tamara Leary and Dr Burroughs- Leary opened the office and thats who we use.

Any chance you know where used to be Naval Acad Dairy, there was discussion of making a horse park? Not far from that

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have been going to Doctors Pollowitz and Brown (a husband and wife team) for 17 years now. Their office is on Mass Ave. near American University, almost across the street from the AU law school.

http://www.washingtondccosmeticdentist.com/index.html

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: I can relate because I have had the "bad" dentist experience and found my current dentist over 20 years ago. I still go to him even though we've now moved 150 miles away. He's fantastic. I'll give you his name and number in case you're interested in traveling to Fairfax, VA. It's Gary Weiss (703) 278-8866. Good luck. It's worth it to find someone really good.

Betty

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, those sound like two great recommendations, Baxter & Betty! Thank you!

I spoke with my dentist's office yesterday and they could not would not confirm whether I would have to pay for the crown work, though they implied that I would likely have to pay. I'm tempted not to bother going back to them at all and simply starting over with a new doctor.

In defence of the "office" the only one that can make the payment call is the dentist who put the crown on. At least they should give you an appointment to see him or he should call you back personally.
I learned a long time ago working the front desk, patients will say "well the girl at the front desk said this....." And it gets really bad when more then one person is working the front.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree! I left him a detailed message over the weekend while I was away from home, but he not only did not call me back, but the girl returning my call received the message 3rd hand and was not given my specific questions. It was frustrating from my perspective as no one even bothered to pull my chart to find out what I was even talking about. She was not prepared to discuss my case with me.

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

I would be really surprised if he didn't plan on making you pay for his incompetence. I know my husband also had the same experience with a previous dentist of his. His crown kept coming off and he kept going back and having it put back on. I told him then that the dentist was no good or it wouldn't have come off. It finally took 3 trips to convince him that he needed to quit and find another dentist. It was worth it to finally have it done right. IMO if they didn't do it right the first time, they won't get it right the 3rd or 4th time; they don't know how. Betty

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Wrightie - I started chuckling when I saw the heading - I find the words "best" and "dentist" to be a complete oxymoron - sorry! LOL
I have a completely irrational fear of dentist - which was cemented during my last visit - DH's dentist - really good, careful and considerate of my fears - so what did she do - hit a nerve when she was numbing and I was unable to properly open my jaw/chew for 2 weeks - arghhhhhhhh - back to square one and now I am "manning myself up" to find another one - I soooooo need to go - it has been a couple of years now :(

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I just made an appt. with someone who gets high marks at a site called Dr.Oogle (who knew?) and was also voted Best in Washingtonian's list a couple years back.

Bec, I am so sorry for that un-nerving experience! YIKES!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Hmm - just an fyi - at least in Phoenix, those "Best Doctor/ Dentist/ Window Washer/ etc." lists are voted on by their peers, IOWs, by other docs or dentists. I stopped paying any attention from that moment on. I want the best doc vote from their *patients*.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I read lots and lots of comments by supposed patients -- do you think that's a scam er sumptin? Which lists were you looking at, PC?

Talk to friends, co-workers, neighbors, family. They are your best resources.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh - these were the "Best of Phoenix" put out by Phx mag, that's all. Other mags might have better lists. I agree with Ladygardener.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL, I have been talking to everyone, believe me! :)

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

Wrightie,

Dr Spencer Hornstein on Old Georgetown Rd is absolutely wonderful. He did my caps about 15 years ago and I have only had to have one recemented. His nurse, Vickie, was a neighbor of mine. Good luck! Pamspace

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Pamspace!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I don't have a close recommendation for you (I see someone in Pasadena)

But I will say that I had a crown put on several years ago, it came off about 2 years later. When I sort of politely but accusingly implied it to be his fault, he was very offended then laughed at me and asked "do you think they come with a warranty? not even cars have a warranty after a year. LOL. He did fix it for me though, for nothing too, and so far so good, it's never come off again 4 years later.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, lucky you, Jody! When it came off a month later, and the assistant informed him that the crown was far too high, he had implied that it was *my* fault. Mind you, during the fitting, I kept telling him that it didn't feel right and his response is that that was the best that he could do. I don't mind putting up with some arrogance when a professional is superb at what they do, but when they cross the line and cannot accept responsibility when things don't go right ... well, no, thanks. =)

I've consulted with lots of people and with different consumer lists, including the local "checkbook," and have made an appt. with someone who appears to get good marks. I've arranged to have my file transferred to his office; let's hope that I've landed just the right person this time! Thanks to everyone for their very helpful recommendations! I really appreciate it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.