Go, SallyG, Go!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, everybody! Grab your morning coffee and proceed immediately to the best article of the day -- by our very own SallyG!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/865/

If you got a packet of garlic chive seeds or a clump of plants from me the fall or winter swaps, you'll want to read it for certain.

I'm so excited to have another MidAtlantic writer on board -- and such a talented one! I can tell you that her next article will be equally wonderful... because I've been peeking... :-)

Go, SallyG, Go!!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Great article, Sally! I have had GC growing in the veg garden for years I love the flowers, and always add them to potato and mac salad in the summer.
Can't wait to read your next article.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Yeah!!! Sallyg!!!! And it's a great article!!!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~big sigh of satisfaction~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thanks!!!!!
It was very satisfying. I feel reallllllly good about doing ' something' . Harder than I thought, in some ways, and easier in others A real learning process, with editing photos, and just actually organizing my thoughts for 500 words at a time! I am working on my second and again, thought I had it ready to go, then almost totally rearranged it !
I know all you folks are equally or more knowledgeable or capable than me. If you are at all tempted- try it!

Just wait till you get that first paycheck, my girl!! LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That is a really good article, Sally. Bu the way, Critter had an excellent one yesterday too on clump planting seedlings.

How quickly we forget... I'd like to thank Jill for that monarch on chives picture that was so nice for the thumbnail, and for sending me a couple other pictures, even some all resized and ready to use. And for editing help. And for gettign me to push that SCARY button, the one where you 'submit' your article.
Jill if you do one on monarchs, you'd be welcome to this one that shows the spots that told me he's a boy. Thanks ladygardener1, for giving me that fun fact!
hart- I have all new respect, well enhanced respect, for those that write for a living!!!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Try doing it with a daily deadline. LOL The photos with both stories were fantastic.

I didn't know you could tell boy monarchs by the spots. Learn something new every day.

They are so pretty. I have milkweed, I want to attract more monarchs and other butterflies. Hummers come all the time, they love the ROS. and annoying the cat, just for fun........LOL

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Great 1st article! Looking forward to reading more of them!!

Go Sally, Go, Go, Go!!!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice article, Sally!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sally, but it looks like you're well on the way to an article on monarchs yourself! I think they're an exceptionally nifty butterfly -- and I'm sure we'll see several articles written about them. :-)

So, which spots are the "boy" spots? the ones on the leading edge of the wing?

thanks wrightie!
Spots on the hind wing , really larger part of the vein- if I understood right-
Critter- I'm dmailing with an "urgent" question on uploaded pictures.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

ya pretty much have to post your real name on the articles? Pen Names?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You can ask Dave if he'll let you use a pen name -- I don't see why not.

Temp grab of thread, just got to show these off!!

Thumbnail by doccat5

And Holly's OSP starts.....all these on one shot of Bokashi tea. I'm afraid to put it on the banana.....my bay's not that big.....LOL

Thumbnail by doccat5

here is an easy picture to see the boy and girl monarchs http://adver-net.com/monpics.html
I was so excited when I found out they were so easy to tell apart, that is if you can get them to stay still enough.

Here are 2 that I released last year, looks like one of each.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lady, I think you are messing with me... the two butterflies in your photo look exactly the same to me! I squinted at them and counted spots until my eyes crossed!

Jill, If you look at the one on the left, you can see a spot right on the black line on the lower wing. The line on the other butterfly is just a line.
Hope that helps. Did you see the difference on the link?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

BLACK spots!! Now I see. I was looking at the white spots... looking very, very carefully... ROFL!

Thank you for the link and for the lovely photo!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wonderful "start" Sally, WTG!!! Can't wait to read more of your articles :)

doccat, your Tiarella is looking great!

Debbie!! I love you!! I couldn't read the tag and kept check the plant flies trying various spellings. I may now actually be able to figure out what to do with this pretty. Y'all need to remember I'm so new to doing perennials I'm kinda clueless sometimes. LOL The Bokashi seems to really make a difference. I can hardly wait to try it outside.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yea Sally, What a great article. You Go Girl. What a literary group we have here in the Mid Atlantic.
Doccat5, Loved your article on the Peacocks, too. We have several people in our area that have them.
Off topic but I wanted to let RCN know that my Tiarella is flowering.

Will the Tiarella do well in a container? I'm short on shade spots and doubt the black walnuts will play nicely with these. Maybe under my pecan tree? Hmmmmmmm, now that's an idea.........oh honey!!!! have I got a deal for you!! evil grin

Shenandoah Valley, VA

If you have black walnuts, the juglone will be in the soil 80 feet from the tree in all directions. Pecans have juglone too, so that won't help.

Here's a good list of juglone tolerant plants. Some of the lists I've found are not very reliable but this one has been pretty much:
http://wihort.uwex.edu/landscape/Juglone.htm

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

doccat, here you go - Tiarella 'Dark Star' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/104372/ If you have a spot in the gardens where your Tiarella would receive morning sun only (i.e. no hot afternoon sun) you'd be safe to plant it there. A container will work, I planted a combination of Heuchera and Tiarella in a container last summer - my only problem was they grew so fast I need a larger container this year! 'Dark Star' is a vigorous little Tiarella so make sure you start with a good sized container :)

Thanks, Debbie. I've got some 5 gal ones here, I could put them out by my peonies. That's in partial shade!! WOOHOO--good stuff!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya Debbie... PF says 'Chamelion' spurge will "self sow freely." Will that gorgeous color come true from seed, do you know? That would be a bonus! :-)

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi critter, doccat,wrightie. Now I know where ya'll hang out. Ya'll have a newbee that needs help. (check out beginner landscape for esadungada). I directed her to Mid Atlantic Forum. Didn't know she would have some of the best DG'ers over here.

Debbie from Mid South

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Sorry Jill, I forgot to answer you, then got lost and forgot where the post was! LOL I'm not sure about the "self sowing" of Chameleon spurge. I haven't had it planted long enough to know if it's self sown in the gardens. However, I'm pretty sure you grabbed one of the 'purpurea' spurges that I "weeded" out of the gardens?? They DO self sow and the gorgeous color comes true from seed :) Photo of one of my "weeds"

This message was edited Mar 18, 2008 5:47 AM

Thumbnail by rcn48
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OH, what a great little plant! Sadly, one didn't go home with me... all the more reason for me to get down to see you one of these days, in case you have any more little "weeds" popping up! LOL

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sally, great article. Meant to chime in sooner, but been busy getting ready for Easter dinner for my family. One of Debbie's article made me aware of a fern I've overlooked adding to my garden, and now you've done the same for me with the Garlic Chives. Haven't seen any seeds around here yet, but I'll definetely pick some up when I spot them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Miata, don't bother picking up seeds... I've got seeds, LOL, and better yet I've got "volunteer" clumps of plants by the front door. You're welcome to swing by anytime and help yourself!

Thanks miatablu!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.