Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And this one is my favorite

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

As always, your spring show is phenomenal.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks polly - I just with tulips were more than annuals for me!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They are pretty much annuals for me too. But at least you keep on planting them. I just love to see your threads each year. Thank you for posting all the lovely pictures.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Nice!! Hope to see more in the coming days. That is one of the best things about having so many different areas online at the same spot- we get a very extended spring show :D

edited to say, wow, glad they all survived the snow you got!

This message was edited Mar 14, 2008 12:04 AM

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Yes, nice to get a preview of coming attractions.

Monte Carlo double early tulips poked up here 4 days ago.

How long were yours, Steve, from emergence until bloom?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o I luv the photo with the pink tulips in the foreground fronting the daffs and hyacinths. Thanks for posting Steve. Just starting to thaw here LOL by the time I have a tulip you will probably be into fall flowers :)

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Very nice Steve! I love the deep red one, do you know it's name? I've seen something like it, Uncle Tom as a double.

My T. kaufmanniana Shakespeare are in full flower now.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thank you polly, and hyblaean, for the nice words :-)

Hi David_Paul, I planted mine in about mid-December and just started blooming maybe a week ago. So, I would say two and a half to three months. I still have lots budding out that I planted at the same time.

I did plant a couple of patches last year, and was pleased to find several buds coming from those this year! I will be interested to see how they look when they bloom. Tulips normally aren't strong perennializers here, so if I get some to return, that is wonderful.

Thank you dahlianut - I will probably have nothing and desperate for anything to bloom in the heat of summer here while you are in full swing!

Very nice tulips, Wallaby - interesting form on your flowers. Not sure what my red one is...I bought some single late and double late mixes from Van Engelen and not sure where that one came from.

Frisco, TX

My tulips are starting to come up too. I'm so excited but I think the local bunny rabbits are chowing down on them!! I've noticed the leaves look beat up and torn off in some areas. I've waited to see these since December. Does anyone else have problems with rabbits eating them?? I plan to get some 'bloodmeal' tomorrow. That product really works to keep them out of my pansies in the fall/spring.. They will not touch them once they have been sprinkled in that. :-)

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

boo hoo, my Lilac Wonder species tulip planted in late 2006 have not come up yet and I'm thinking they aren't gonna. The clusianas planted in Fall 2007 are all greened up but no flower show yet

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Vossner,

You could dig down with your fingers a little bit and see if the tips are there :-) I do that sometimes when I am impatient and worried something won't return. Hopefully your Clusianas will be blooming soon. I did plant some Lilac Wonders at the previous house and they did return well, though I have not tried the Clusianas as you have.

Here's a clump of the single lates I planted in 2006, and several of them are actually returning!! I have counted 7 or 8 buds in this patch though not all are visible here. I am so excited. Tulips don't usually return well here so this is a big deal to me. I hope the flowers look decent when they bloom.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

More single lates

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And the Sherbet mix

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Steve--love the single lates; is that what I think it is to the left of them?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

The tall pink ones are Mentons (which is a single late variety) and the others are either from a single late mix or a double late mix. I planted100 of each of those.

I love the Sherbet mix, the apricot one looks like Temple of Beauty. I want a lot of those but am waiting to see if the one I had last year will regrow, I can get them from one supplier here www.rvroger.co.uk.

The kaufmanniana tulips or other species might be perennial for you Steve, worth a try. It's the hybrids which are not so tough, but some of the late single tulips go on forever.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

well here it is, my first tulip ever!!! not fully open, but i couldnt wait to share. lol

tracie

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Wallaby - you know your tulips - that's exactly what it is. It is a mix of four "Temple" sports. John Scheepers/Van Engelen sells the mix here. I will take your advice and try the Kaufmanniana tulips. Would that include the Emperor tulips? I have had those perennialize before.

Beatiful tulip, aggie. What variety is it? Looks almost like "Violet Beauty"

LOL Debbie, thanks - what is it you think you see to the left of them? Heheh

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

i cant remember the name right now, i have it at home. i will check, i am wondering myself. i know i planted about 200 of this variety, they are supposed to be a hot pink. the bag said that they are great for southern gardens. i figured it couldnt hurt to try.

tracie

maybe a peony or one of those tuberous cosmos? Its something I can't grow--that's for sure. bet it makes a nice combo with the tulips right next to it was my thought....

Steve, I haven't got any Emperor tulips, but it looks like they could be a good bet.

http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/Tulip13Fosteriana.html

The whole list of classes,

http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/TulipIntro.html

The large late singles in my garden that were already here just keep returning as good as ever every year, they are in partial shade too. They are the red and yellow (Golden)Apeldoorn Darwin Hybrids, which are a cross with fosteriana tulips,

http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/Tulip4DarwinHybrids.html

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information, Wallaby! :-)

Debbie, it is a peony. I have a bunch of them and most are producing buds. Some are first year and some are in their 2nd year. I have one in its second year with 7 flowerbuds, so I am excited about that as I am near the southern extent of where these can be successful.

should look great with those tulips Steve--good combo

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, Steve, how are you doing? Haven't 'seen' you since our Lilies's season last year. ....
Here in my zone; Tulips as annuals too. This is mine. :-)
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

ok, the tulip i posted yesterday is a Triumph "Purple Flag". did i read somewhere on this forum that the Triumph series doesnt return well? the package info stated, good for Southern gardens and that it will Perennialize.

tracie

Purple Flag

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Debbie!

HI Kim, how have you been? Your tulips look great.....what variety is that? I have been skulking around here in the different forums, sorry we have missed each other!

Wow Tracie - I have never seen a Triumph tulip advertised as good for perennializing in southern gardens. Let us know what happens next year! I will try them if you have some success. I have some of last year's single lates coming back this year - see? LOL Kinda small now but they're pretty and a bunch more buds are coming up.

We had horrible storms a day or so ago and now everything is coming up like mad now that the sun is out again.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Steve, those look great, I'll stand by for more of them when they're in full bloom. BTW; the storm that left you, headed our way. Not central Al. but the western part got hit pretty hard :((.
It's good to see your posting and enjoyed others as well.
Kim

Frisco, TX

Ok I'm kind of bummed about my tulips. Some are coming up okay but my red/yellow parrot tulips are looking strange. Some of them are leaning one way and they are a light green in the foliage. We had 2 snows a few weeks ago when they had already started coming up. Did the snow/freeze cause this or is something missing in the soil?? I'll post a pic tomorrow but they just dont' look healthy.. :-(

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good morning sunshine.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

good morning indeed!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Steve, did you notice any mottling on the foliage of the Temple sports when they were just coming up? I blended 50 of each of Perestroyka and Blushing Lady together, and am noticing mottling on the leaves. Not dramatic like on Gregiis, and seems to be fading somewhat as the leaves mature. I've been wanting these for so long, I'll be so disappointed if they're mislabeled.

LilyLove, what a glorious setting! Beautiful!

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

(More, more, she pleads!)

Lovely, just lovely! Sigh. I've got roses and freesias, nasturtiums and poppies, lavender and echium, callas and iris, all blooming nicely.......but out here in no-winter-chill coastal CA, tulips are rarely planted since they won't return for us. The city has been giving away free daffodils for people to plant in their neighborhoods, so that's a lovely spring sight. But I miss the wonderful colors and shapes of tulips. Keep those pix coming!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

those tulips are gorgeous! that is what i had in mind when i planted about 300 bulbs. however, it isnot working out that way. they are coming up in spurts. even the same variety that were all planted at the same depth are coming up weird. some are almost blooming and some are just now poking through. oh, well, the best laid plans...

here is a photo of the same tulip i posted the other day, it is fully open now.

tracie

Triumph
Purple Flag

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Neal, I did not notice any mottling - I know what you're talking about as I have grown Gregii tulips before. Not to say there wasn't anything there, but don't think I saw any or there was nothing noteworthy. I hope they turn out to be the real thing for you!

Kim, I agree, great setting. What is that fluffy grassy foliage along your walk in front of them? Mondo grass?

Tracie, that is a great picture...you got in a terrific shot of your tulip. Well done.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Here are some double lates today...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That purple double looks like one I had return for 4 years. It was mislabeled (was supposed to be a red/white bicolor), but looked like one I've seen offered a lot called Lilac Time. I left them when I moved, but now I'm curious if they've returned again. Your pic reminds me, I need to try more late doubles since that one returned so well, and of how beautiful they are!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

steve,
thank you. you photo is gorgeous! i am soooo jealous! do you replant every year? as i stated before, i am having a problem with mine coming up at different rates. each "clump" of tulips was planted by excavating the dirt, planting and refilling, so they were all at the same depth. just dont get what is the problem. tulips are just one of those flowers that is breathtaking in a big group.

tracie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.