Floppy broccoli seedlings

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I recently began some brocoli under lights and they are coming up magnificently. However, the seedlings are flopping over before they have their first set of true leaves. I've tried to gently press down the soil around them which has helped a few of them stand up tall. When I orginally put in the seeds, I just pressed the seeds into the surface of the soil instead of planting them 1/4" deep (beginner's mistake). Will they be alright once they grow deeper roots? Is there a remedy?

North Augusta, SC

I'm wondering if they are trying to hard to reach a light source. I think you're supposed to have them really close to the lights if not, they become leggy. Also, I transplant and plant the seedlings up to the first leaves, just like I a new gardener learned here on DG.
I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I also suspect a light problem--how far above the seedlings do you have your lights? If they're more than a couple inches above the tops of the seedlings then they're not really doing you any good. The good news as MistyPetals said is that with most seedlings you can plant deeper when you transplant, so you can "fix" the legginess that way.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the suggestions.They're 1 1/2" from the lights. All my other seedlings are fine - I think it may have to do with the fact that I didn't plant the broccoli seeds deep enough? I'll try to nurse them along until I can transplant them and do so deeper.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

How many hours a day are your lights on? That can be a factor too. Seedlings typically need to have 14-16 hrs of light.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I've got them on for about 14hrs. Maybe I should increase it?

The seedlings look like they're doing alright, but I'll transplant them as soon as they grow a set of leaves in hopes of stabilizing them a bit.

Thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

14 hrs should be fine. I'd just plant them deep when you transplant them, sounds like you're doing everything else right.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.