Is it OK to leave lights on 24/7 ?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Germinators,

Perhaps somebody has experience and can give me some advice, please?--

I have read that the little seedlings need 12-16 hours of light when you grow them indoors. And I've read that the seedlings need several hours of 'rest' with lights off each night to grow.

Nevertheless, I keep forgetting to turn off the lights at night. So, do does anyone know: Would it really make such a difference in seedling survival if I could stop feeling guilty and just leave the lights on until they are ready to be planted out?

(I think sometimes what is printed and posted on the internet is what is best for the commercial grower or suited to their needs, but maybe for the casual home grower leaving the lights on won't make that much difference?) Anyone really know?

p.s. I would use a timer but I can't get one to work on my set-up. Can't figure out why not... )-: Thank. t.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

If you leave the lights on all the time, the seedlings will tend to be weaker and more leggy. They put on a different kind of growth in the dark, one that helps to make them stockier and stronger.

I personally have noticed that my seedlings tend to have more pest problems when I leave the lights on all the time.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've done it both ways, and turning the lights off does help. Natural photosynthesis occurs in the dark too. That said, I know that plants grow north of the Arctic Circle without night, but the light is different and not as intense because of the angle.

I've just found that I have better seedlings that are more ready to face the outside, when I turn lights off for a 'night' period.

There are cheap timers that you can get, (less than $20) that work great...something like you would put on your Christmas lights.

I just flip mine on when I get up at 7am and walk the dog, and turn them off when I walk her in the evening at 10:30 pm.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I always keep mine on timers, that way I don't have to worry about remembering to turn lights on/off. I'm confused why you can't get a timer to work--unless it's some really fancy complicated one I can't imagine why it wouldn't work (maybe you got a bad one and need to return it?)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I use a timer on mine too. If you explain your set up or show a photo maybe someone can help out...

Thank you for your comments.

I will go get another set of timers from the store.

We have tried 3 different timers (my son and me) and maybe they aren't able to carry the 8 shop lights at one time?

Winnetka, IL

I've noticed that the most growth occurs at night. I guess the lack of light means the plant has time to focus on using the sugars it's stored.

tabasco- I found some online greenhouse supplier (charley's greenhouse maybe?) that had a timer strip, with four sockets on a timer, and four on switch only. So, I have four lights plugged in on the timer, and the heat mats on the switch only. So I actually have wall sockets left for fans and the radio!
I think it cost $35, way less than 4 timers, and much less hazard involved.

Thanks for the tip, p., I'll check it out. Sounds like what I could use.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.