Apple tree question!

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

We ordered two McIntosh apple trees back in December. They are to be shipped at the proper planting time for us. However, I just received an email stating that the trees have been shipped. I will probably get them on Saturday.

I think the ground is still frozen and we have at least a foot of snow still on the ground. Do I try to dig a hole or should I store the trees somehow for another week or two? It's supposed to start getting up to the 40s...

I'm really tree-ignorant...

Michelle in Michigan

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

If you have an unheated garage, you can keep them there. The cold garage should help keep them dormant. The biggest danger will be to the roots. You will need to keep the roots from drying out. If you have a big pot or tall 5 gallon buckets, place the trees in the buckets and cover the roots with moist potting soil. Moisten the potting soil before you use it to fill the buckets. Unless the buckets have drainage holes, don't pour water into the bucket or you could get root rot. The aim is to surround the roots with a humid environment so they won't dry out.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Garage or a shed would do. Just keep them dormant. As soon as you can dig plant the trees.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

As long as your garage is not freezing, you can put them in a bucket of water until your ready to plant. I have 3 new apple whips sitting on the porch waiting for us to get the holes dugs. Just double check the roots and remove any that might be damaged. They'll be fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.