Lancaster County Nursery Tour itinerary

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok gardening gurus, here is the official itinerary for the Lancaster Co. Nursery Tour:

Saturday April 26, 2008. 9:30 am (rain or shine)

Meet at the Shady Maple Smorgasbord: (East parking lot) (to the left if you are in front of the bldg)
http://www.shady-maple.com/directions.html

Shady Maple
Smorgasbord
(717) 354-8222
129 Toddy Drive
East Earl, PA 17519

10:00 a.m. head out to Black Creek Nurseries:
http://agmap.psu.edu/Businesses/1164

Black Creek Greenhouses
211 E. Black Creek Road
East Earl, PA 17519

12:00 noon: Then back to the Shady Maple for a sumptuous lunch with a visit to their huge gift shop.

1:30 p.m: Let's go to Marian Martin's Nursery: http://www.plantsourcedelval.org/info.php?id=98
Noah & Marian Martin.
5489 Division Hwy.
Narvon, Pa 17555.
717-354-7546 ...

Now for a breather to:

2:30 p.m. Flower & Craft Warehouse: (warehouse & nursery) http://www.flowerandcraft.com/directions.htm
Flower & Craft Warehouse
196 Broad Street
Blue Ball, PA 17506
(717) 355-9975

3:30 p.m. let's stop on the way home at "That Fish Place." http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/VisitUs.web
That Fish Place.
237 Centerville Rd -
Lancaster PA, 17603

For people from out of town, this place is a "Sams Club" for any pet you might have or want. It is the largest pet shop on the E. Coast. I never return from a journey without a trinket for the pup.

And that is the agenda for the day. Please let me know who is coming, so I can put together a list.
Thanks so much.

Here is the link to the original thread> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/820942/

This message was edited Mar 11, 2008 8:27 PM

This message was edited Mar 11, 2008 8:43 PM

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Help..............There must be a computer trick I do not know. When I tried to print this out all I got was the HYPERLINKs in blue.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is the list of the participants so far: (I can change this at any time but please chime in if you want to go on this tour) I am bringing a guest, also.

Buttoneer
Doc Gipe
Critterologist

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 10:01 AM

This message was edited Apr 1, 2008 2:27 PM

This message was edited Apr 13, 2008 7:04 PM

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, you have to click on the link, then copy & paste the address on your microsoft word document.

If you disregard the HYPERLINK@, you will have the link. Buttoneer

This message was edited Mar 11, 2008 9:01 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What a wonderful itinerary for the day!

That Fish Place has great pond stuff, too, and very nice prices.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, I send a copy of the itinerary to your private email address which was on the packets of seeds you gave me in Frederick. Hope you were able to print that one out. If you are shopping for tropical fish, you have to "take a ticket" just like you were in a delicatessen. That's how many people are shopping for aquarium supplies. I believe they have well over 200 tanks. Hope we can get more people to sign in to go. It's really well worth it.

I was not able to print it out. This is of no concern. I can hand copy the instructions.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds good to me. Looking forward to seeing everyone and having a great day.

My geek just cleaned up me and my computer. Amazingly the printer is now working. Problem was I did not know it was not working.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I see I'm on the list -- but I'm just a "hopeful maybe" at this point, since I have no idea yet what our plans will be for that weekend (and it's more of a "we" weekend than most, since it's our 10th anniversary that Friday).

That's a great itinerary! With so many wonderful nurseries in the area, I could never have chosen which ones to check out first -- I'm glad somebody who knows them is putting this expedition together! :-)

I can see already from the links in the other thread that I'll have to start stopping in at least one nursery in the area any time I go out to That Fish Place!

Thanks for putting this together, Button. :-)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, you're welcome. It's been my dream for several years to share this "wealth" with gardening friends. If anybody whose name I put on the list cannot attend, please let me know & I will remove your name from the list. I put the names up there of the people I thought were going to come, depending on your posts. I won't put anybody else's name up there, until I hear from you if you are going. Happy Spring everybody. I have a lovely red amaryllis blooming on my kitchen table..............

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

hi,

I still have to check my calendar to make sure I can go on that date. I have an exam and classes tomorrow, then spring break, so after tomorrow I can finally think straight and check.

There is a longwood gardens DG trip in the works too. I have to make sure the dates don't conflict. I really hope to go to Lancaster. I just emailed my friend (who is the woman who took me there in the first place) with all the info :) I hope she can go with me, it would be great. You would all like her, she is a master gardener.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all. Critter, hopefully you can go too, would love to meet you. Buttoneer, your cuttings are still alive, so I'll bring them with me.

I'll get back with confirmations

~Diana

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Diana, welcome to the group. I made sure this trip doesn't conflict with the Longwood trip. Looking forward to meeting you all and seeing again the ones I met in Frederick.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

All I gotta say is PLEASE if all goes well...do this again!! That weekends my grandbaby's 1st bday....I would love you join ya'll but I do have at least 1 or 2 priorities above plants....
Have a great time!!!!

ughhh, I'll still be in school in late April, I won't know until last minute if I can go. It will depend on my finals/schedule.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

If it is a successful trip, we will do it, again. Give that grand-baby a hug & a kiss for me.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

ahhh thank you...I will!! :)

Only thing more photo prone than a new baby is a flower or a wet nosed puppy. We hope to see you on a future trip.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahh Doc...thoughts after my own heart!!! Ditto!!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This thread has been "quiet" for awhile. Hope we get some activity soon. If not, I will post closer to the time & open it up, again. Think Spring. Buttoneer

Hi buttoneer :)
we're thinking Spring here!!! our hyasinths started blooming and lots of seedlings are sprouting in my first winter sow containers and indoors in my first light rack set up :))))))) I'm a happy camper

My friend and I are going to try and go. We are going to shoot for Shady Maple and maybe one or two garden stops, then we'll have to head home. I'm hoping I don't have too much school work then.

Also, the cuttings I've been trying to root for you didn't make it, in fact the parent plant got some sort of mites, I sprayed it but it looks very poor. I really tried, and was hoping to bring your cuttings with me....sorry about that!

Some plants are easy peasy to root but the firecracker bush is a real bugger. I'm upset about the parent plant because I've babied it all winter in our bathroom bathtub by a window...really would hate to see it die now. As soon as it warms up, out it goes and hopefully it will perk up.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Wind, sure hope you can make the trip. Don't worry about the firecracker bush cuttings. Just baby the parent plant. Let me know closer to the time of this trip if you are going and if you are, I will put your name on the list above. My winter aconite is blooming, also one pretty little purple striped crocus, a couple teeny tiny crocuses and in my ghse, a red amaryllis is almost finished blooming & I have a yellow freesia sitting on my kitchen table perfuming the kitchen. Sure glad spring is "almost" here.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ack! This is a little off-topic, but I thought it might be seen by the right eyes on this thread.

I know this is a long shot... if anybody near Frederick or near Lancaster (or near the route between them) happens to have the winter sale flyer from That Fish Place, there's a coupon that I could really, really use tomorrow!

Here's what it looks like: http://www.thatpetplace.com/StoreFlyer/ASstoreflyer.html

I've been turning the house upside down, and I can't find mine. Tomorrow is the last day for any of the specials on the flyer, and there's a "30% off one item" coupon that would save me about $75 on a tank light. I've left messages with a couple of friends that I think might be on their mailing list (and haven't gone up there lately), but I thought I'd check with you folks too. I'd be more than willing to swing by for it, and I'd definitely owe you one... I could have a lot of fun with an extra $75 on this expedition next month!

(I called to check, but they've long since run out of extra coupons and won't consider offering me a discount without an actual coupon in hand.)

somewhere, PA

Have you tried googling it? I know there are websites that
run coupons.

Tam

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Tried that -- no luck. My friend doesn't have hers any more either... we're thinking we might have tossed them out thinking that the flyer was just for Feb promotions (red printing and Valentine's Day theme sale). Phooey!

The manufacturer isn't on the preview list of vendors who'll be offering discounts during TFP's anniversary sale (April 19 & 20), but I might hold off and see if it does go on sale then. I think I'll go up again that weekend anyway to take advantage of sales on salt & other supplies. Last year, I got a light from the same manufacturer at the anniversary sale, and I think it was maybe 20% off. That would do the trick! :-)

Who knows; maybe we'll get lucky and find somebody's discarded coupon in the parking lot tomorrow... cross your fingers!

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Buttoneer:
I am on the list, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will work now. Sorry.
RatherB

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, will take you off. thanks for letting me know.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

We really don't have a lot of people signed up for this. Would like to see more, if possible. If I had to, I could reschedule it but I know Holly is taking a vacation later and I would like to get as many people along as possible.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's a busy time of year, but I'm not sure another weekend would be better. DH isn't sure if he'll have to work that weekend or not, so he said I should go ahead & make plans, and we'd plan an "official" celebration trip later this summer. I'm hoping to bring a friend along.

I think it'll be a wonderful expedition whether it's 20 people or 3... we'll get a chance to chat and visit and shop for plants, and we'll be able to see some of your favorite nurseries!

I will probably be up there the previous weekend also, because that's TFP's anniversary sale date... so I'd definitely be available for nursery stomping on the 19th if that's good for anybody. :-)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Judy, that looks like a wonderful day you have planned, sorry I don't live closer to you all. I like how you set up a time frame that way if someone wanted to meet up later they could do that.

See you at Longwood! ☺

RatherB sorry you can't go, I would like to visit your gardens too someday (if it you that said you were closeby in that neck of the woods? I can't remember). In any case maybe we can do it again someday and you can go :)

....I hope I'll be able to go, I'm playing it by ear. I'm still in school and anything can come up study wise etc. My friend is going to come with me hopefully :)

Port Matilda, PA(Zone 6a)

Don't despair, Buttoneer, those of us who show up will have a great time! I have put in for that weekend off from work, and barring unforseen circumstances I will be there!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm looking forward to coming, too. Nice to give this thread a bump.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I am getting over that cough virus that is going around & am so glad I will be "healthy" at that time. I lost several days from work, but will go back tomorrow. I noticed in the local paper that a couple local Mennonite nurseries are now open, so will have to take a couple preview trips to their place. Am saving my pennies for April 26.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

OH, OH, OH @@##$$%&**, They have rescheduled my Photography course it's a one day class already paid for. Guess the new date? So very sorry I will miss you.
Buttoneer, My apologies, I'm afraid your group in now 1 person smaller.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh dear. No problem. When you return from vacation, contact me & we'll go again.

Dad gum Holly! Here I was looking forward to you sitting on my lap to talk pumpkins and gourds.
Raincheck thingy is in effect. Sorry you can not make the trip.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, The 2 of us could do a lot of heavy breathing. LOL Thanks I will definitely take that rain-check.

somewhere, PA

A few of us are getting together that weekend (from the Pets Forum). I'm the
real plant nut of the bunch so not sure we'll join you folks. But maybe. We're
renting a house together.

I have been to Black Creek twice already. I sure do love their prices and
selection! I really want to get to Mrs Martin's place - I believe it opened today?

Tam

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You all could meet up with us at noon for lunch... sounds like your group needs a stop at That Pet Place, for sure!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.