Starting sweet corn

Phoenix, AZ

I have a packet of sweet corn - Sugar Dots hybrid - that is over a year old. Should I soak these seeds or 'sprout' them before planting? What would you do. I'm in Phoenix so the soil is pretty warm about now and will only get hotter so I need to get busy here and try to get some corn up. I'll happily take any advice you have.

Alma

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

One year old corn should still be very viable. (Corn seed is easily viable for about 2 years at least, room temp, much longer if frozen.)

If you feel most comfortable with it then take ten seeds and to a germ test with moist paper towels and a baggie to see how many declare.

What I often do when planting corn, especially early in the season, is soak the seeds for half a day, then drain and let them dry out, then sow them. This really speeds up germination,especially in cooler weather. It sounds to me like you have pretty warm soil so I bet you won't even have to do that.

Best of gardening to you! Let us know how your corn patch does!

Shoe

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks so much! I have high hopes but gardening here is challenging to say the least. I will take your advice about soaking, drying and then planting. I might even get those seeds in before sundown!

Alma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.