"Ten Vines and Climbers You Should Know"

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Vines and Climber lovers,

I just recently became interested in vines for the garden and luckily I saw this DG article just published (I think) about ten lesser known vines for the garden.

I thought I would share the link for anyone who hasn't seen it. A very nice concise introduction to some interesting vines (which you all probably know about but which are pretty new to me!):

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/605/

Next summer I hope to have growing:

Cypress Vine (seeds started under lights)
Spanish Flag (seeds started under lights)
Hops Vine (for the butterflies)
Clematis (various kinds)
Japanese Morning Glories (20 seeds started under lights)
Bush Morning Glories (seeds started under lights)
Trumpet Vine (for the hummingbirds)
Aristolachia (for the butterflies)
Passiflora (for the butterflies)
Climbing Nasturtiums (for the hummingbirds)
Coral Honeysuckle (for the hummingbirds)
Cup and Saucer Vine
Thunbergia (Black eyed susan vine)

What vines are in your garden?? Any new ones coming along? Please let's see some pics?!

My baby cypress vine and a few morning glories just getting started...

This message was edited Mar 10, 2008 5:58 PM

Thumbnail by tabasco
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I have some cypress vine growing from seed too. (see pic below) I am also growing some morning glories, and pink banana passion flower vine (4 have germinated yay!). Oh, and my hyacinth beans are going crazy! My hubby dug up half of my new bed today and hopefully will get the other half done tomorrow. Then I can put in the edging and the soil. I can't wait!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

This is my first year starting from seeds. So far I have mina lobata, white clitoria, blue clitoria, thunbergia alata(white), white snapdragon vine and white dolichos lab lab under lights. No luck with white antigonon(coral vine), canary bird vine, strictocardia, chilean glory vine, thunbergia grandiflora.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I guess I should have added a picture! Here it is : )

ETA - This is about 2 weeks ago. The plant is about twice as big and growing up a little trellis that I made out of wooden skewers.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2008 11:53 PM

Thumbnail by jlp222
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I grew the Chilean Glory vine last year from seed & it was very nice. The flowers start out orange & turn a really nice red

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

joannabanana--I am glad you liked chilean glory vine. Mine have not started yet. How did you start it from seeds?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Our last frost is Mid-May, so I started them indoors last March in seed trays & transplanted them into bigger containers as they grew big enough.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

thank you for posting the picture. It looks very beautiful.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I try a new vine every year. This year is: asarina grimpant. I have visions of it hang down off a a basket on the fence. I've been pinching it back cause DH hasn't assembled my greenhouse yet.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Also, tried a silverlace vine last year, which was wonderful, but a little out of my zone, so I hope that peat moss mounded @ the base has been enough to winter it over

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

only one new vine!! You have lots of self control. I am trying several from seeds and also bought some vines on line as well. I am in phase 2 of my garden where I am adding vines/trellises..etc

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Only one "new" vine, usually plant lots of annual vines & have several perennial vines & a few climbing roses...oops another "new" is Hyacinth Bean

Snohomish, WA

I am starting a vine cave and would like a few suggestions. MGs and sweet peas, and gourds are all going now, plus a few clematis and tasmania vines and a kiwi, but it is huge and I want to cover it this summer. Any thought on real fast growers?

Thumbnail by NWGordon
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wouldn't grapes look cool on that?

Snohomish, WA

Yeah I have seriously considered grapes, even have one on hold at a nursery. The only thing that scares me is the weight . I am already planing on wires under the vines as they cross for more stability.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

hyacinth beans(dolichos lablab) are very fast growers and they come in white and purple colors. They are edible. I bought a ton of white seeds in oriental grocery store.
Climbing Nasturtiums are also fast growers.

Snohomish, WA

What a great name! I want it just for that d. lablab!! I will have to see if that is around up here. Does it need a lot of heat?

Snohomish, WA

Good to know and I see some people have it for trade. I love this place!

Thanks for all the good comments, everyone! I had no idea there were so many kinds of vines to grow! I'll have to look them up in plant files.

I bet the hummingbirds love that Chilean Glory Vine?

And the vine 'cave' idea is very neat! My little nieces would love it! I could just see it covered with morning glories or spanish flag with green gourds dropping down for accents! I will want to follow the vine cave idea along, so be sure to take lots of pics, NW Gordon.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

This year will be the "year of the vines" for me. I have:

Cup of Gold - Solandra maxima
Easter Lily Vine - Beaumontia grandiflora
Allamanda & Mandevilla - won't know the species til they bloom
Corkscrew Vine - Vigna Caracalla
Snail Vine - Vigna Phaseolus
Morning Glory - Too many to name
Chilean Bell Vine - Billardiera longiflora
Antaque Hyacinth Bean - Lablab antaque rouge
Vining Jade - Senecio jacobsenii

And probably some others I've forgotten.

X

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I did my arches with cattle panels and they do support grapes...plus morning glories, hollyhocks, susan vines, gourds and a whole bunch of misc.

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

Oooh. I bet the kids love that! Very fun! Do I buy the Cattle Panels at Tractor Supply?

Xera, I love your list of vines! I think I'm going to have to revise my list now that I see what everyone else is growing! Much more interesting1

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Gordon,
I forgot to mention malabar spinach. Edible.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Glad you enjoyed the article, tabasco- thank you for posting a link. I was wondering how it had so many views, lol. :)

I am super excited about vines this year. I can hardly make myself wait to start them indoors. Last year I started waaaay too early.
Also wanted to say that I am in the process of writing '10 Vines you should know for shade' and '10 Hardy vines you should know' based on feedback I got on this article, in case you might find those helpful.
Gorgeous arch Beth!!

art, I'm glad you don't mind that I posted the link but I thought it was a great topic--vines are often not the first plant thought of, at least around here, for the garden, and I found the suggestions most interesting.

I know I started my morning glories a bit early--I didn't know that they would actually germinate so quickly so I am caught babysitting them for several weeks! I may have to cancel my spring vacation!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm a vine admirer, and as such have as many as I can grow.

Alamanda
Aristolochia 3 types trilobata, leuconeura , gigantea
Bauhinia vine
Beaumontia Grandiflora - blossoming nicely right now
Beaumontia Murtonii
Bignonia capreolata Crossvine - just finishing up
Black eyed Susan vine
Canary Vine
Candy corn vine Manettia luteorubra
Chalice Solandra maxima Chalice Vine
Clematis
Clerodendrum thomsoniae - Bleeding Heart Vine
Coral Vine Antigonon leptopus
Cork Screw Vigna caracalla
Morning Glories- several
Merremia tuberosa...(wood rose)
Pandora Vine Pandorea jasminoides
Passiflora Citrina
Passion Vine- Red
Queens Wreath Petrea volubilis
Rangoon Creeper Quisqualis indica
Rubber Vine Cryptostegia Grandiflora
Snail Vine
Solanum Wendlandi and several types
Strophanthus preussii - Poison Arrow Vine
Stephanotis floribunda
Strongylodon macrobotrys -jade vines - red Mucuna sp
Thungbergia Battescombei
Thunbergia mysorensis

hmm..never written them down...wonder how many I'm missing!? I think I've turned into a vine collector!

Rj

rjudd-- you do have quite an impressive list. I'll have to do a bit of plant file research to see what you're growing. I don't know most of those.

Have you started any of those from seeds or cuttings? Do you do much propagating?

In past years I would purchase a vine or two from the garden center. I had never thought of trying to grow from seed until this year. (I know, silly me.) I've had fairly good sucess so far (under lights) for my little vine seed sowing project.

Speaking of 'Vines and Climbers' we should know--can anyone confirm that this seedling is Thunbergia / 'Black Eyed Susan' vine?

Of course I lost the label already, but I think I sowed Black Eyed Susan vine--

Thanks. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's looking like the black eyed susan to me. Are those the true leaves?

I do grow vines from seeds. Most of the Morning glories. I tried the Beaumontia from seed before, but large thick vines I prefer to buy or get from propagation. The black eyed susan vine is one of the easier vines to propagate. I've tried propagating the Hawaiin wood rose twice now, but no luck.

Thanks for the ID. Yes, those are true leaves (as far as I know).

So are you fairly successful with starting vines from cuttings?

I tried a few last year but had no luck...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Not really, I would say it's really hit and miss. I have learned though alot of them like high humidity, and have more success when I place them in a warm humid enviornment, at least the type of vines I try to propagate.

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Is there any "SAFE" honeysuckle vine? I would love to have one, but I am afraid to take a chance. I just read a very long thread about how invasive and self sowing morning glories are. Where do you put yours and how do you control them? I do have a fair number of Japanese morning glory seeds; I understand they don't have the same faults?

I am very excited that my Climbing roses that I splurged on, Dream Weaver and Polka, will be delivered soon. Do they count as vines?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've not had any experience with the honeysuckle.

It's true about the Japanese morning glory, they don't have the same faults.

I think the the roses are definately a climber of the vines and climber category

Concerning 'safe' honeysuckle--I thought the one that you really had to stay away from was the Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica). That one is overtaking all of our green spaces here in Ohio and other places too.

Coral honeysuckles, Lonicera semervirons, is a strong grower in many gardens but is more polite and not on the 'invasive' list as far as I know...

Many find some kinds of tradtional morning glories invasive or weedy in the garden, especially if they really like their habitat. I think it pays to do a little research on the growing habits of the different kinds. As I understand it, most Japanese Morning Glories are polite and better behaved than the garden morning glories we commonly grow in the states.

Others on the forum know much more about this aspect of vines and I'm sure they will chime in.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can say that the difference between the local morning glory and the Japanese is this.
I planted the local morning glory in my back garden
the Japanese Morning glories in the front garden on a trellis. The Japanese Morning glories were beautiful, but hardly reached the top of the trellis. They did not come back the following year, but...the morning glory in the back garden, "liked it's enviornment"
and decided the back garden was a bit confining, finding it's way over a huge deck, 10 foot fence, along the side of the house..and if you haven't guessed yet, to the front trellis where the other MG's were planted.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gloria - I've heard the same as tabasco. The native ones i.e. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2013/ (rec'd in trade last year) are the ones that shouldn't be the back yard bullies. This summer will be my 2nd year with it...so I'll have a better idea then.
Gotta love those MG's...my yard will be covered if I have my way!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL,
Yep me too! I love vines...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

joannabanana - that chilean glory vine looks wonderful...does it attract the hummers? (think I'm going to go ISO of some seeds...I like that one!)
Speaking of Passi's....and have a "feeling" that the incense is going to be sprouting up all over the back yard...should be interesting...LOL. Ahhhh but that scent....is intoxicating!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Chantell,

Yes, last year I had a number of humming birds. Other years, I was lucky to see a single one. I had started that vine indoors in Feb or Mar. It was really nice & the flowers went from light orange to deep orange & then a deep red. There were a lot of seed pods. Saved some & started them indoors a week ago, as well as wintersowed some. Not sure how that will turn out (ws).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.