need info for an article

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I would like to write an article for our local weekly paper about seeds that can be sown outside now. We are in zone 6-7. Please use common names as I am Latin-challenged.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Woodspirit you could browse the database here at DG for some WS planting suggestions. ( http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/ws/ ). I'm afraid it's still in it's infancy and is a little difficult to navigate yet, but I'm betting our pal Google could help too. ;-)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

woodspirit, are you talking about seeds sown in milk jugs a la 'Wintersowing'?

Or 'direct sowing' seeds straight into the garden?

direct sowing is what I'm looking for.

I know a couple of the threads in the Cottage garden forum are talking about what to direct sow now. Maybe they would be a good source of info.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

There are a lot of seeds that should be sown before the last frosts because the warm/cold/warm cycles trigger germination. Get you a copy of "The Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Flowers from Seed to Bloom" (Amazon and a number of other book sellers have it) and browse through looking for anything that should be planted in early spring before last frosts.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

woodspirit, I like to get larkspurs and poppies direct sown before the end of March. I think this is a good time to toss cleome seed out too.

gemini--is it about the right time for aquilegia, too? A perennial though.

Woodspirit--are you referring to annuals that might bloom this summer?

after all this help, alas!, the weekly newspaper I have written for in the past says they have no funds for gardening articles this year. I am surprised as I was told by several local people that they were their favorite articles.
Nonetheless, I am going to use this help from y'all to throw a few seeds out tomorrow. Thank you all so much......Betty

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I think this is a good time for Aquilegia, while its cool and they can freeze and thaw. Its hard for me to direct sow things that tend to be slow, like columbine; I get dig happy and can't stand seeing that "vacant" spot! The good thing with columbine though, is the seedlings don't mind some shade from nearby plants.

Betty, sorry to hear that didn't work out. Perhaps you could submit the article here at DG?

Same thing here about the 'dig happy' syndrome. Maybe I'll stick to starting seed indoors or wintersowing the columbines.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

For me, wintersowing those slow or erratic germinating ones is the only way to go; a milk jug is much easier to hide than a piece of earth, LOL.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
--is it about the right time for aquilegia, too? A perennial though.

Hey T -- regarding aquilegia

i have a lot of seeds for Wisc, but the earliest i can get up there is 4-15-08 ... when they turn the water back on [it's a seasonal park] that is zone4b i think.

will that be enough time for the seeds to germinate for the summer? and yes, i know they wont bloom this year.

I can sprinkle after i do my Spring Clean up .... but one thing i'm concerned about is, run off if we get heavy rains ... all my lil seeds may wash away.

I'll have to see if i have a photo of where i want these to grow.

Why don't you Wintersow them now and take them up to WI in April?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I may do a bit of both ..... I still have not gotten back to WS'ing
trying to stock-pile milk jugs again .... my kid keeps forgetting to bring them home from work... i only have 3.
Maybe i'll do those foil flats... but honestly, i dont think they are deep enough. [they are roughly 2" deep]

I used Roasting Pans from the Dollar Store and then stuck them into big baggies last year. Worked just fine. They were a bit more than 2 inches though. Maybe 3 1/2 inches. And I sowed 2 kinds of seeds in each (one kind on each end). I also sowed seeds in my plastic pots and patio containers and covered them with plastic (with slits) that worked fine too.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Do you think the columbine would work in those?
I did MG's in my last year.

I also had the clear plastic type dome "lids"
though they did not make it worth saving them.

Others have used aluminum loaf/bread pans (with drain holes) enclosed by vented zip locs to protect them. Or set the potting mix filled zip-loc into the pan (used for support).

Columbine/aquilegia would be fine. They are a perennial that likes cold stratification. I would put it out soon so it gets enough of that.

Here is more information on columbine/aquilegia seed germination: http://tomclothier.hort.net/page02.html

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

THanks T.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.