I WS'ed some Onions

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

.. and they all germinated. :-) But they're very spindly, as in only 1mm thin, and they look as if they need to be re-potted. Would this be the right thing to do? Or should I just give them a bit of fertilizer and let them become a bit root bound before transplanting into the garden?

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I WS'd onions last year and they looked VERY spindly before I planted them out. But after a few weeks in the ground they looked great!

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Thats good to know lala_jane. I'll give that a go and skip the re-potting.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't "pot up" anything. Too time consuming. Everything I wintersow goes directly from milk jug to garden bed. With 2 years of this under my belt, it has not proved to be a problem with anything, so I just can't see me taking that extra step. And I find that, most stuff, by far, does far better in the ground than in a pot.

Well, I should quality that statement. The only problem I've had doing this has been in planting out tender stuff only to have a late frost come along afterward. Then, I just cover the area until frost is over. So far this still seems preferable to me, and involves a lot less steps and less work overall.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.