What are the benefits of using Peroxide 3% for your plants?

Duncan, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi all, I am some what of a newbie here, I have a question for you all. I have heard that you can use peroxide on your plants. what are the benefits, when & why to use it, how often and how much peroxide per how much water should one use?
Thanks

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Some use H2O2 (Look for '3%' on the hydrogen peroxide bottle at the drug store) in a 1 part to 20 part solution with water to mist or water plants that are root bound, sickly, or water logged. They say it helps the plant get needed oxygen.

Some soak hard to germinate seeds with the same solution (or make it a bit stronger, even) but you have to be careful about how long you soak the seeds. They say the soak with help breakdown the seed coat and bring oxygen to the seed for better germination. This is easy to overdo though so best to be conservative on this.

Some mist seedlings and plants with the H2O2 - H2O solution to prevent mold and damping off.

There is a H2O2 that is a 35% grade that is used by hairdressers that is very strong and most gardeners avoid that one and go for the weaker 3% grade. About a dollar a bottle or less at the grocery or drug store.

I use hydrogen peroxide as a preventative to 'damping off' and to give sickly plants a 'tonic'. Seems to work for me.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2008 5:17 AM

Hydera bad, India

Sir it control the moss growths in lawns?
can we use this in tender flowering seedlings like petunia.antirhinnum etc
With regards
srinivas

I don't know about the moss, that is different from mold and mildew.

Try it on a few seedlings and see how it does. I can't say for sure.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think the 3% stuff will do anything for moss--the 35% might if you use it pretty concentrated, but I think if it's concentrated enough to get rid of moss it's going to hurt your grass too.

Winnetka, IL

I find that the H2O2 dilution (I do 1/2 cup per gallon of water) makes a world of difference. Before, my seedlings took a long time to germinate and grow. Since I've been using the dilution, the seedlings germinate more quickly, grow more quickly, and look much, much better than the pre-H2O2 seedlings.

You can still get mold, algae, and damping off with the dilution, but it's less likely.

Duncan, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you all for the information, so giving that mixture is not necessary for healthy plants then...
Plantaholic186, for how long do you soak your seeds in the mixure?
I have some Desert rose seeds I will be needing to soak for a few days before planting them in soil.
Thanks
Amalie

amalie, you may want to google on your rose seeds to see if they react well to H2O2. (I don't know anything about them).

Once in a while seeds react badly to too much stimulant and don't germinate as well with H2O2 solution soaks.

Most times it's seems to work OK, though, on seeds that do well with a soak.

Winnetka, IL

You know, I've stopped soaking seeds. Every time I do, the seeds rot, no matter how carefully I deal with the moisture in the seed trays. I know there are those who swear by soaking, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it! I guess that's the tinge of black on my gardener's thumb : )

LOL. Well I just recently read part of an article in a hort journal that reviewed a study on seed soaking and how it can promote rot or premature germination . H2O2 soaks can provide too much oxygen to certain seeds. The article sited certain seeds and now I can't remember what they are...other seeds aren't bothered by it.

I soaked all of mine last year. This year I'm just soaking those that have a soak recommended on the packet or on The Seed Site. I'm not in much of a hurry for seedlings. I've got more than I can handle right now...

Winnetka, IL

LOL I hear you- I'm at the point where I'm not too worried about germination, just because I have so many seeds, and way too many already started!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I never soak any seeds. Maybe if they are huge and hard, but never any of the annual seeds, and I sow a lot of them each year. I would think it would be hard to handle/spread them out evenly if they were all wet and stuck together : )

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Tobassco,
What "seed site?" Do tell.
Thank You
Julie

Two good sites about germination and seed starting:

http://theseedsite.co.uk/

http://tomclothier.hort.net/

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

tabasco,
Thank You for the info. i do appreciate it.
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.