Can sunflowers be started indoors?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I have some seeds, and would like to start them soon. I am just afraid of direct sowing and the seeds all washing to one side if it rains or birds eating them. Anyone? Thanks : )

Thorne Bay, AK(Zone 6b)

YEP,they can be started indoors.Last year I used peat pots,as they don't really like to be transplanted.When I planted them outside,I buried them deeper-covering about half the bare stem with dirt.They grew well.In my climate I needed to give them a head start.

Byron, GA

Go ahead and plant them. They germinate even in cool temps and grow quickly. Use deep cell packs to grow them to transplanting size in a protected area outside. They resent transplanting so take care not to disturb the root ball.
Digs

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

How far ahead of last frost can they be started?

Byron, GA

They outgrow small pots so fast I'd wait 'til 3 weeks before your last frost and they need lots of light. You might try some of the dwarf varieties if you can't wait to see something grow. I'm just 6 weeks away from a last frost and already our days are in the high 60s. I'm going to plant some outside within the next two weeks but plan to cover them in the event of freezing temps. This may be too early but I've got plenty of seeds for starting again. BTW, I plant them in large containers outside and use the shorter varieties such as Teddy Bear and Big Smile. Apologies for tempting zone envy.
Digs

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

How long do they take to germinate? I figured they would be up in a few days, but I've got nothing yet.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I've started sunflowers indoors for the last couple of years and I use the extra large solo cups - about 16oz I think - because they grow so fast. Mine came up after about a week but I always nick the seed coat first. I think it can take up to 3 weeks for them to germinate.

Fairfield, NJ

I also have a question about sunflowers. I bought these seeds for the very first time and can't wait to plant sunflowers. I want to plant a few in containers. How large must the container be? (these are the Large Russian type) Thanks so much!!!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

ast year when I started sunflowers indoors, I used square 4.5 deep inch pots. I fileld with my soil and then put a little bit of seed starting ,mix on the top and covered all of them with a giant size dry cleanign bag. That helped keep soem of the heat and moisture in them. When I saw them sprout then I took the plastic off.

When they got big enough, I transplanted them into one gallon pots and they grew in them all summer . I used the 4." pots to start with becaus eliek said above they don't liek to be transplanted and this way they had a chance to have a bigger root system and suffered the transplantign alot better.

Thorne Bay, AK(Zone 6b)

Sunflowers are about the only thing I like the Jiffy peat pots for.I use a 3" pot to start my sunflowers and when I plant them outside,I bury half the bare stem in the dirt.That gives them even more stability.In 65* soil they should sprout in 7-10 days.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ya'll are sure right about them growing fast.l I started some inside and they took over the place. Had to get a bed ready fast so I can get them in the ground.
I used the solo cups, then when I put them out, I cut the bottom out and cut down a couple sides so I could pull the styro out later. Think that will be ok?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.