Transplanting Lime Tree

Bay City, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a Mexican Lime tree that is 3 or 4 years old. (About five foot tall)
I need to move it to a full sun area. Will I lose too much root if I try to dig it up and move it? Thanks,
Larry2

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Generally, it is best to move trees in the fall after all growth has stopped. That way, the tree has a chance to establish a good root system before new growth starts in the spring. When spring comes, it's ready to go with good strong growth instead of the weak spindly growth that is typical of newly spring-planted trees. If trees can't be moved or planted in the fall, the next best planting time for trees in Texas is January. Any later and the tree may not have enough roots developed to weather the hot summer months. Or it will be stressed to the point of not doing much for a year or two. If you must do it now, take as much of the rootball as you can. You will also have to remove a good portion of the top. Let the plant establish itself before feeding.

Bay City, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks bettydee,
It's not mandatory that I move it now. It is being shaded by 2 avocado trees that we planted 3yrs. ago and I have a persian lime to supply my craving for fresh limes. I will wait till the fall, I don't know the root structure of the Lime, I assume that it has a fibrous root system and not a tap root. Is this a correct assumption?
Thanks,
Larry2

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, they are very fibrous.

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Larry, what kind of avacados do you have? How old are they and if you get fruit how long did they take to fruit? Is your persian lime in the ground? Just curious as I am moving to zone 9a.

Bay City, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello Fancy Flea,
I have 2 Lula avocados, they were developed by Texas A&M and were bred for the South Texas climate. I got them in Harlingen, when they were 3 yrs. old and have had them 3 yrs. They are in full bloom and I expect a bumper crop. The Lula has the same texture as a Haas but is much larger and a bit sweeter. The last year, I had about 30, the trees were about 6ft., this year, they are 10 or 11 ft.
All my fruit trees including a new Glenn Mango are planted in the ground. You can look forward to some wonderful home grown fruit and vegetables in Zone 9A.
Good luck and plant everything you have always wanted to grow.
Larry2

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much Larry2. This information gets me all excited about moving to the Houston area. I've been in Boston most of my life so this will definately be a change for growing things I could never do up north. Avacado and limes??? WOW!!!!! I have rented a home outside of Houston and in the back yard the owner has Persimmon, Guava, Asain pear, Apple, Plum, Longan, Nectorine, Peach, Apricot, and Grapefruit growing. I think I'm in heaven.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.