Trenching?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I have a few leggy seedlings including rhubarb, blackberry and Pepino dulce.
Can I trench this species? What other species can you trench?

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Okay, I'll bite--what is trenching? Do you mean like some people do with potatoes?

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

If you are talking about burying them up to their first set of leaves, it has been my experience that most plants are fine with it. I have buried tomatoes almost two feet deep with only the top leaves sticking out, and cosmos and petunias as well. Most of them grow roots along the stem. So seedlings should do fine but if you aren't sure, try one first and see how it does!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Paracelsus, I'm so glad you asked the question. I wasn't familiar with the term "trenching" either. During the last couple of months since I joined DG, I've realized that horticulture has its own jargon, just like every other field. I've learned more from this site lately than I did in some of my college courses! I love being able to ask questions without anyone knowing who I am so I don't get embarassed. Zarebeth, thank you for explaining. I assume it's okay to trench peppers as well if they get leggy?

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I think so... Reading on another thread I confirmed that was what trenching was - digging a trench, laying your plant in it at a 45 degree or so angle with just the tops sticking out and burying them. My petunias loved it! And my momma always taught me to do that to tomatoes, leggy or not.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Bordo, don't plant your rhubarb too deep. I'm assuming you are planting roots. If so, amend the soil well and plant so the roots are thoroughly covered but only put a little soil over the bud area (topmost part of the crown). Plant where it has good drainage and you should be good to go.

The blackberry plants will pretty much take care of themselves (very hardy!!). You can plant those so the crown is roughly 4" below the ground level but I wouldn't go much deeper than that due to potential rot if we keep getting all this rain.

P.dulce won't grow roots on its stem like tomatoes will but never fear, that, too is an easy-to-grow plant. However, they really like warmth so if you set it out now it should be extremely well protected from cold as it is not Winter hardy in the least.

Happy Gardening, Folks!
Shoe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.