Need help with Tital & Shock Wave Petunia seedlings....

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

This is all new to me... I've never grown petunias from seed so now my lame question is, do I pinch them to make them bushy? If so, how tall or how many leaves when I pinch? Any other tips I should know about?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, you can pinch them back-depending on when you start them. For instance, if you start them later, and its time to get them in the ground, then you don't need to pinch them back-they will branch out on their own in the ground. But if you start them earlier, and its too cold to plant them and they are starting to get too full or leggy or the branches are starting to come out too far from the pot, then you can cut them back. the more root system there is, the faster they will come back. as I write this, there is someone in one of my grhouses cutting back petunias-weird huh? lol I told him to cut them back about an inch above the dirt, but above the new growth that is starting at the base of the plant. You always want some new growth showing below the cut. Also cut as close to the base as you can, as where you cut back will branch, and you don't want new branches to start a few inches away from the plant. Hope that helps!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Terry, thank you for your help & great info! Now I have work to do...LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brinda,

I don't pinch them....find pinching hard to do & they don't need to be. I seeded a number of Waves this year, as well as this Milliflora Hybrid Fantasy Mix. The Milliflora was seeded about 5 weeks ago & now it started to bloom.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thanks Joanna, Those are so cute!

I did pinch the tital waves as they were getting so tall and starting to get leggy. Boy, they've really taken off after they got pinches with new side growth. I've not done anything to the easy waves, but they aren't as tall....only about 1" so far.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I might pinch mine then. The tidal waves do get a bit leggy, if let a while in a small pot, now that you mention it.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Those are soooo cute, Joanna!!! I started my petunias (Tidal Wave and Easy Wave and Dolchissima) too early last year and they were big ole quart-size by set out, so this year I held back...maybe too far back. As of right now, they are the size of a pin. Someday I'll get my timing right..

Suzy

Calgary, Canada

If petunias get too big, prune them and if you want more plants ---try rooting the clippings.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Update on the petunias. I plan to move them into 4" pots & into a outdoor greenhouse next week. This series of petunia is real small, so a 4" may be a bit big at first, but our last frost is usually Mid-May & I don't want to repot more than once.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wow Joanna, is that the same Fantasy Mix that you posted a pic of just a week ago? They have really grown and they look great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.