Evening Primrose

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I've read in "From Seed to Bloom" that primula seeds should be placed in a plastic bag together with moist growing medium and refrigerated for 3 weeks. Then provide light and 60 degrees.

I'm a little confused. After 3 weeks, I remove the bag from the fridge and put it under lights as is without disturbing much? If so, how would I water?

Or, do I transfer the seed-starting medium to a container in which case -- wouldn't the seeds (since they are tiny and I can't see them in the soil) likely end up at the bottom of the container?

Experience, anyone?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The easiest thing is if you can plant the seeds in whatever container you'd move them into, then put the whole thing in the fridge.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Ecrane, thanks. I sterilized a cream cheese container and put the seeds in sterilized seed-starting medium in there. Covered the container with saran wrap and put it in the fridge door.

The soil is somewhat moist -- will I need to water at any point during this 3-wk fridge phase?

Am very curious if these seeds will germinate! What other seeds require this type of care? I've given seeds cold treatment before planting them, but never after putting them in seed-starting mix!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if you'll need to water or not--since it's cold in the fridge I doubt if you'd have to water more than once, but I would check it every once in a while just to make sure it's not drying out. I don't grow things that require cold stratification so I have no experience with how fast things dry out when they're in the fridge.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.