WS vegtables in zone 4

Zimmerman, MN

Hi E1,

I have been reading several posts and I have learned tons of information. However, I live in zone 4 and I would like to try to WS corn, tomatoes, watermelon, and cantalope. I'm pretty new to gardening in general and I have never tried WS before. I would appreciate any advice on when I should put the containers outside or any other details I am probably not aware of. I apologize if this question has been raised on another forum already and thanks for the input!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Daniof-- You can check the 'tagged' pages for wintersowing tomatoes for some info. There has been some discussion of how feasible that will be for those with shorter growing seasons. You can pick up a lot of details there.

I can't help you on the other veggies, although they seem rather tender and seedlings may not withstand an intense cold snap in spring time if they happen to sprout. Perhaps gardeners on the Upper Midwest Forum would have some personal experience to share, too.

Zimmerman, MN

Thanks for the advice. I checked the tags for WS tomatoes and I'm not sure it's feasible for me. I might just stick to grow lights.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.