Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

think these are johnny jump ups

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

A lot of these have sprouted!

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, congrats yardqueen.

I don't expect any sprouts for several weeks, nor do I really want them yet. Still too cold up here. But I did plant one jug of bachelor buttons so that one would be an early sprouter. I know that those can take just about anything the weather can dish out.

Karen

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah, I am glad about the BB's and the Johnny Jump-ups, and I also have Dianthus that has sprouted. I know those can take the colder temps!

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

The snow melted yesterday with the rain so I went out and checked on mine, no signs of life yet, but it's still in the 20's here.
Kathy

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah, that's a bit too cold! LOL We are going to get down to the 30's again tomorrow night. Everything has been budding out around here...This always happens : (

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Great lookin' sprouts! That's an impressive amount of winter sown seeds! You must have acres to plant.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I plan to give a lot away also. To friends, relatives, co-workers...strangers lol

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, quite a sprout farm going there! How do you keep them all straight?! I don't have any WS sprouts either but I've got some coming on under lights.

(Growing under lights is such a hassle! It makes me appreciate wintersowing so much more!)

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

yardqueen, what kind of cups are you using? They look great!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Wowee, wow. Great stuff! all those neat little domes...it looks like a seedling farm. they should keep you busy.

Very good idea to give away plants to friends, relatives, co-workers & strangers!

I'm strange, do I qualify? lol

I have teeny sprouts on my baby's breath, now under 10 inches of snow.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Tabasco,

They have tags inside the cups.

Cathy,

They are from Starbucks. I bought a box of cups and a box of lids. I can't remember the cost now but it figured up to be maybe .10 a cup w/ lid. I don't remember.

Grampapa,

They kept me busy a while planting them, but they are no trouble after. The ones in the coldframe have to be watered, but the others haven't yet. But it will be easy enough to do. Especially vor me cause all I will do is tell DH to do it while I am at work. LOL That is the beauty of him being retired and feeling sorry for me cause I am not! LOL They are however keeping me worried cause we are having "freezing precipitation" tonight. Texas is so wierd!

Shirley,

I have so many seeds, mostly for postage and a lot from trades. I know some seed will keep, but some was old when I got it. So I had a lot of things I wanted to plant. I sure don't need all of it though. And having friends and relatives, etc. that like plants, but can't, or don't want to, fool with seeds and don't have the space to winter them, and don't have a retired DH to help take care of them... Well what else could I possibly do???? Everyone who sees my greenhouse and my "patch" of wintersowing thinks I am going into the plant business... LOL I don't have the time or patience to sit around trying to sell stuff!

Cathy again,

I may indeed have some things I could send for postage... We will just have to see. It probably depends on if it all makes it through till spring and how greedy my friends and family are! Will your baby's breath be ok?

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Yardqueen,

Congrats on an impressive amount of wintersowing containers!
I've seen those clear cups at Starbucks - never thought to use them for wintersowing, though. Clever! What are the white holders that are keeping them in place in your picture?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Those are something that my DSIL gave me. They are from cold drink machines, and I guess they were trashing them... He thought of me. He just knew I could use them for something! LOL

As for thinking about the cups, some of you wintersowers will know exactly how that happend! Once you ever start wintersowing you never see an empty container quite the same again. They don't look like trash anymore... they look like WINTERSOWING CONTAINERS... You start thinking, could I grow seeds in that? Well one day I was just sitting there at my desk at work, minding my own business when a clear Starbucks cup with this wonderful domed lid walked by right in front of me. I said "wait a minute" and then the person who just happened to be accompanying it stopped. I said where did you get that cup, and can I have it when you are through? I was in love! Next day I went to Starbucks and unashamedly asked if they could save some of their used ones for me, and I could wash them and I would have a few more... (I know, YUCK, but as I said, they seemed sooo perfect and I was desperate) I did tell her what I wanted to use them for. The nice lady at the window told me to wait a minute, and then she went to talk to the manager and they gave me a few clean ones, and his card... SO when I got back to work I called him and asked him if he would consider selling a box of them to me if he had plenty. Well, long story short, ooops, too late... anyway he ordered extra so he could sell them to me at his cost plus sales tax... SOOOO that is the story of the Starbucks cups. I will give him some plants too...

Lusting for your cups! I may have to try to buy some, I have some less hardy seeds to start later this month.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

It wouldn't hurt to ask. and if one store won't another might. Worst that can happen is they say "no." I would tell them what you are doing with them so they will not think you are trying to sell drinks in them... I want to buy some more. One of the attractions these held for me is that they will be great for indoor seed sowing also, especially since being new and clean you would not have to worry about bleaching your containers. One less thin to do! And the dome lids are perfect for that too, as partly covering containers is recommended for indoor seed starting as well.

I am thinking that I paid $50 for 500, which is .10 ea, and he gave me the box of lids.

yardqueen:

I totally understand about having tooooo many seeds. Lots of us are in the same predicatment. You may want to consider giving away some of your seeds to newbies. If you go to the Seed Trading Forum, I know that Distantkin is collecting seeds and then distributing them to new DG'ers. I always believe that "what goes around comes around".

What a great use of plastic Starbucks drink containers! It's nice to know that they were willing to provide the containers to you at cost. 500 containers should keep you winter sowing, spring sowing, summer sowing, & fall sowing, plus keeping you busy until the 2009 season begins! I'm sure the Starbucks manager will love the plants you will give him! What a nice gesture!

P.S. If you have any plants in your garden that like acidic soil, just ask Starbucks to give you their used coffee grounds. Your acidic plants will love you for it!!!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I have already used almost all of them! Re: the store manager and the plants... that is an example of what you said in the quote above... I really wasn't thinking that thought, but it just came to me that since he helped with the growing of my plants, I should let him so that he could see what it is all about, and that there may even be some he might want in his store or in front of his store. Again, all this depends on what makes it till spring. We had snow last night and this morning. We had them all covered. Hope it did the trick!

I'm sure that the store manager will be thrilled to get any plants you have to share with him.

That's amazing that you got snow in TX. All that snow that the South & Midwest got, we received as rain. Now, the winds are beginning to howl and we're suppose to get 50-60m.p.h. gusts.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Shirley,

It was 29* last night, but it will be above freezing tonight and back up to 70* on Wed! That is Texas Winter!

Such crazy weather! However, it's the perfect to help crack open the seed coats and make them germinate.

Pine City, MN(Zone 3b)

Great JOB Yardqueen !!!!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks! More have sprouted since I posted those, but I was not able to go out there this week end. DH has been checking them fir me and telling me what has sprouted.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

You know what they say about Texas weather. If you don't like it one day, just hang on a minute ,it will change.

They say that here in St. Louis, too. Sunburn in the morning, snow and ice by dinner time, lol.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

what do you have growing in those cups yardqueen? lol. i only wintersowed some goat's rue and some red buckeyes. the rest i started in the house.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.