How long are seeds viable

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I got some seed the other day and some of them were dated back in 2003. Do you think they may still be good? That's 5 years or more. I thought they only lasted 1 season, maybe 2

Richmond, VA(Zone 7b)

It depends on the seed...

Several years ago they took some soil out of one of the pyramids and, while examining it, some seeds germinated in it...

No doubt they were weeds (probably invasive back in their day).

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Wouldn't you like to know what they were?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Wheat was found in the Pyramids in baskets that was viable. There is a bean called the New Mexico Cave Bean. It was found sealed in a clay pot that the pitch used to seal it carbon dated 1500 years.

Okra should be good for 200 years.

I've personally germinated 14 and 15 year old tomato seeds.

Most Seed Savers who do this for SSE are on a 5 year rotation of their seeds.

The thing is, all of the seeds won't die at once, germination percentage will just drop off a little. Most veggie seeds are good for 5 years anyway, if stored in a temperate and dry place. Heat and moisture are seeds worst enemies.

Do a germination test. Place a few seeds on a damp paper towel and seal it in a baggie. Check after every couple of days. You should see what percentage you get after a couple of weeks. If you don't want to wait that long, just sow a little thicker.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Good idea. I've rooted stuff in paper towels, so I should have thought of that. Thanks for reminding me. I don't know why I thought they were just good from one fall till that spring. Glad to know that's not always true

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.