What's in doing in your part of the country??? Pt.2

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thread was getting long, thought I'd move us over...

Saturday my DS Greg and DS Jeff and DGS Kyle went to visit the icecaves on Georgian Bay..it has to be prime conditions for them to be able to do so..
Thought I'd share..

Although they look like snow, they are pure ice..some are between 20 - 30 ft. high..some have caves within where you can actually walk through...

Really something to see!

This is Kyle..grandma's boy age '12'

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Beautiful and serene

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

My boys enjoying a day together..who would have thought these kids who couldn't say hi to each other without poking and yelling, would now be best friends..lol..a mother's dream!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Maybe mom will join them this wekeend...weather permitting..raining today so hopefully we'll get another couple of weekends in snowmobiling...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

That's amazing Betty, There are still nice things about winter, isn't there?

Got up to gray skies again, this morning. a little bit of snow came down, but I guess we're in for a good one Wednesday again. we received 14" in the pass 3 days. At least it's not cold.
Gaspe Peninsula area received over 2 feet, They close the Confederation bridge to large vehicle, but learned after, that even traffic was block, to the Island because of car being stuck on the road leading to the bridge. This Winter was very hard, for a lot of people, all over the Country.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Beautiful pictures of Georgian Bay. I miss the large ice packs on the great lakes that I saw on Lake Gittchigumi. (Sp) Winter is a wonderful time in those cold sunny days! Being stuck in Juneau AK with drizzle the last few days I like to see this beautiful site. Thanks Betty

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Monday was very cold and wet with blowing hail & rain around freezing. Hopefully Tuesday is better. I guess I was a bit hasty to plant my rooted Tibouchina in the garden. Hopefully some of them make it.

Pulmonaria rubra 'Red Start'

Thumbnail by growin
Victoria Harbour, ON

Red Start is gorgeous...nothing happening in my neck of the woods with regards to plants..lol..blizzard conditions here again, so yet another 'snow day' for me...that's ok would have taken today to go to the doctors..just must wait until the roads are clear, even my snowplow man hasn't been...might be waiting for it to die down..so those of you in the east, it's on it's way...

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

It's already here Betty. LOL Started as snow, suppose to turn to freezing rain later. Announcing nasty weather.
Growin; very nice Pulmonaria, how hardy is this plant?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

No problems growing that Pulmonaria is NB.....they are quite common in Newfoundland.

Still lots of snow here but we have not had any serious amount in over 2 weeks and what we have is slowly melting. My front lawn is almost bare but my back still has about 3 feet. Suppose to be 7 C tomorrow..that should help get rid of some more snow.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am heading home from AK tomorrow and expect sunny warming soil to work in my garden over the next 2 weeks. I hope I hope. I think we are done with snow down in the valley. Today was sunny and it looks good to start the spring 'get nice' weather.
It actually is sunny here today in Juneau and much of the snow is going.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Have a safe trip!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

This heavy snow reminds me of the winters when my 3 brothers and I used to build snow forts. Strengthened with 2x4s and plywood, we hollowed out the snowbanks and created tunnels and rooms totally encased in the snow. I should write a little story about those joyful years... --A

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Worked all week at the nursery and other than cold & wet Monday, it hasn't been as bad as they said it'd be. They kept talking "snow, snow, snow" and I'm thinkin' "spring, spring, spring". Then again a flake of snow here causes serious traffic accidents.

I noticed and liked this set of Ilex crenata 'Convexa' shaped and planted on the outside of Nitobe Memorial Garden @ UBC. We have some at the nursery like it and I call them the "Jetsons' Shrubs".

Thumbnail by growin
Victoria Harbour, ON

Growin, aren't they gorgeous..although it's cold here today, blue sky sofly blowing by and I can see mostly white clouds coming in..they are calling yet for a major storm tomorrow, however, won't start till later in the day so I'll be home from work by then..don't mind on a weekend because I can stay in and occupy myself with oil painting, stained glass and wood projects..tonight I get to pick up the wood for my 'living' birdhouse..want it ready so that the first sight of spring, I can set it outside..

Andy, get the writting pen out, need to read your stories..

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You guys are going to get a soaking. Up here in the gulf of AK it is pouring! Lots of wind with it. Spring has come in like a lion.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Can't believe spring is arriving up there when winter wants to appear yet one more time...better not complain, those boys of mine are hoping to yet enjoy another 3 weekends of snowmobiling..lol

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Todd, is Virginia Blue Bell in the same family? Got seeds of that. Will have to look for The Red Pulmonaria.
Was an awful day yesterday, lots of freezing rain.
Beautiful day today, could ask for better, like green and colors, but will enjoy what I have.Sun!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

growin, thanks so much for the photo from the Nitobe Garden, one of my favourite places in Vancouver. There was an article in Saturday Night magazine about 20 years ago explaining all the symbolism of the layout and building of the site, and the design and placement of plants and objects to reflect his spirit. I loved spending time there when I lived in Vancouver (1978-81). I was also a member of the van Dusen Gardens, unrelated but sharing the Japanese sensitivity. I still practise ikebana (ikenobo school).

Victoria Harbour, ON

Before turning in for the night, thought I'd share a photo..I can master a lot of things, however, cooking I'm not fond of, indoor plants, well bad karma here as you can see..so thought I'd put the plant out of it's misery and purchase a new one..if I'm lucky it will last the week...lol

Now don't you be laughing and please don't kick me off Daves Garden..I do like plants and my outdoor garden is spectacular...so may I stay!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

andycdn, I went inside Nitobe last summer and was disappointed by lack of labels and no unique stuff. I guess I need to take another look at it from a different perspective. Personally I think it needs to be revamped. Japanese should be simple but fresh looking and it lacked the latter. I volunteer at VanDusen each week and really enjoy it. Working on digitalizing the library catalogue for the past few years.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Betty, I can relate to indoor plant woes totally. So as far as I'm concerned, of course you can stay - I need others like me who understand to commiserate with :-)

Victoria Harbour, ON

It looked pretty sad..for someone on a garden site you'd think I'd be able to grow plants..something strange though, had an ivy about 80 ft. long all wrapped in a formation, plants galore, all were healthy and in the matter of a couple of weeks all died..think there is bad karma in the house...the geraniums hidden in the back bedroom are growing in leaps and bounds...oh well, I'll replace them all..

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I was hoping for more sun but the rain has started and it's now gloomy. Atleast I don't have to work outside in the rain today.

Edgeworthia papyrifera

Thumbnail by growin
Victoria Harbour, ON

Don't know how you all remember the names of your plants..takes all my time to know the rose,lilly,daisy and ivy..guess you learn a few as the years go by..hmm..loved the photo..

It's overcast here in the city, storm will be arriving early today, another 1/2 hr. and I'm sorthward bound .. once I'm safe inside with all my supplies and craft materials it can snow all it wants..lol

Hope weather is better in your neck of the woods...

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Sitting here at work in London waiting for the storm to hit, and hoping it doesn't before I get home tonight. So far so good.

Holy moly I'm glad I don't live around the Niagara region - they're looking forward to up to 50 cm of snow!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The sun is shining and an occasional dusting of snow. But spring is in the air in our corner of SW Canada. Buds swelling and a few bursting out in color. Well at least in our house. LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Had a very nice day today. Sun was shinning. I was able to go for a nice nature ride, looking for wildlife. Took pictures of a few deers .
But good things don't usually last long here this winter. A storm on the way, for tomorrow night..

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

And a squirrel, but no flowers yet.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2008 6:37 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

That squirrel looks like he's rolling in the food. Oh deer! How did ya all fair through the storm(s)?

They said it was gonna be sunny today but it's foggy, misty but mild. My mother insists I drive out and dig up the old banana clump that's about 6' across with 6' stalks. Right now! She can't wait.

Anemone hupehensis 'September Charm' seed.

Thumbnail by growin
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Snowing heavily here in Ottawa right now. We had another 15 cm last night and they say by the time this has ended we could have 50 cm. We're closing in on the 1970-71 record of somewhere around 455 cm. (Might be 444, I forget). But even if we surpass it, this year we had a January thaw. That year we did not.

I took some pics in my back yard earlier this afternoon when i strapped on the snowshoes and went out to beat the snow off a drooping Yew.

This is looking across the expanse of the back yard and into the neighbours'. The chain link fence which is nearly buried is 4 ft. tall.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Victoria Harbour, ON

We've been hit as well..needed to get to back storage shed for quilting patterns but lordy I'm 5' and am sure there is that much back there so dare not try..

Just looked out and it has stopped snowing (for now)!

Played safe inside yesterday dreaming of spring..saw the most amazing bird house feeder which has a living roof to it so got out my tools and built it..this morning I'll paint it and come spring, well a 4/x4 and succulent plants will fill the upper tray...

Be carefuly out there today..perhaps you can find a project of your own to remind you of spring..stay in, be safe...

Don't you just hate wasting a 'storm' on a weekend..could have waited till Monday..lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

OOps forgot the photo

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Waiting till a decent hour..sons were out snowmobiling up north yesterday and I worried half the night hoping the visibility was ok as they treked towards Sudbury..always a 'mom'..lol

Here's what it will look like in my garden..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Finished my birdfeeder..only thing that remains is the 4x4 post..now I'm sure I'll not have to rush to set it into the ground for months...

Now that I finished painting mine, it's time to go out..shovel awaits me..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Plowman who does my yard has no idea where to put this downfall....

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Thought I'd show you my planter...will pick up another 10' of wood and make mom one for Mother's Day..

How I wish I could plant 'living' top with succulents..now I must wait and dream and find yet another couple of garden projects to get me through the month..lol

Hope the sun is shining today in your neck of the woods..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Cool birdfeeder! I think I saw that in one of the magazines recently, but it never ocurred to me to try making it. You are much more industrious (and handy!)

Snow update - 49cm since Friday. As Ann said, we are closing in on the record for Ottawa and area.

Sandy

Victoria Harbour, ON

Think we are close if not already have broken the record for our area..will sure be glad to see winter behind us..spring at least on the calendar isn't far away...

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I've got new pics, but haven't downloaded them yet. But the chain link fence visible above has now disappeared under the snow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.