I'll always be a Michigander!

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Hey everyone,
New to the site. Really great. I have lived in Manistee, MI all my life until recently. I just moved to NC about 5 months ago. I wanna come home! My family, friends, and garden are all there. I am hoping to come home for the summer to work and garden.

To me, MI is the best place to garden. I love the winter break and the ample moister that falls the whole winter. The great lakes are one of a kind and cant be enjoyed as fully from anywhere else but MI. The land, the people and the places are fab!

Traverse City is my favorite town because it is clean and beautiful with beaches all around. Cherries and apple blossoms cover the land in the spring. It doesnt get much better than that.

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

hello flowrgirl1!!! I agree MI is a beautiful state It would be very hard to move away:( sorry to hear that. Did you move because of a job or husband??? Maybe boyfriends job? Anyway it was very hard to move away from your home. I have lived in MI my whole life also and probably never will move...Even though every winter I say Im going too!!! But NC has a very long growing time!! way longer than us.We "lost" a whole lot of snow today because of all the rain, and the warmer temps this morning. 53 degrees at 5:00am on monday morn. How long have you been gardening? Ive been around 10 years and am very hooked now!! Your photo is very beautiful! I have mostly shade and can not have alot of the flowers you have in your photo. Wish I could. Sounds like you are very homesick and Im very sorry for you... Have a great day and "keep your chin up". Ronna in Plainwell MI PS this was our back yard a couple of weeks ago you dont miss this do you?

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

thanks gardenlady,
I moved because my bf got a good job in NC. Wish i could say the same. I have a mixture of light conditions in my yard so I can grow a little of everything. Its a small space but for now it works. I have been gardening since i could walk pretty much. My parents owned a greenhouse business so I was raised around it. I have been an avid gardener for probably 14 years though.

I do miss the snow but i dont miss driving in it. I really dont miss cleaning off the car at 7am when it is barried under a foot or two of snow.

I grow about 400 var. of tb irises along with daylilies, hostas, ferns, hellebores, grasses, clematis, foxglove, lilies, hydrangea, sambucas, and so many more. I have had several garden center jobs so i have thousands of plants. Needless to say a good portion of my pay went to buying plants.

NC is a nice state but i didnt want to leave home so its hard. I cant garden until we buy a house so thats difficult. It gets really hot here in the summer so I am not looking forward to that at all considering MI makes me sweat.

I hope to return to MI in five or so years to live permenantly.

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I bet its different living in a different zone also huh? now you get to get the tropical plants that are really cool looking. i think it would be fun to try once... but im like you and would miss not being home so... good luck to you.. its very nice of you to move for your honey though... im sure he really appreciates it :) Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.