Starting grape vines

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My MIL had the most wonderful grape vines and we had so much fun picking the large, sweet fruit. She passed away in Nov. and the home place is being sold. I cut some new growth and put them in water - for lack of time to do anything else. They are leafing out and getting, what looks like, tiny green grapes on them - they are about the size of a pin head (hoping for better grapes than that size). How to I root these and I know I must pull off the leaf, etc and get them outside. It's some time before our frost date and now that I've had them inside for a few weeks what should I do?

Kathy

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Rooting cuttings from dormant plants is easier and the recommended method. That way the cutting has a chance to produce roots before it has to deal with new growth. If the cutting is too green, as it surely is, the chances of it rooting are very small. I've taken cuttings when I pruned my grapevine, dusted the cuttings with rooting powder, stuck the cuttings in small pots, watered lightly and set them aside to root. In spring when new growth started, I transplanted the rooted cutting and fertilized the new plant. If you can, take cuttings of last year's growth. Make the cuttings so that you have 3 - 4 old leaf scars and the unopened buds that will produce new growth this year. When you pot the cuttings leave one 'eye' (bud) exposed, bury the rest. Roots will form around the buried buds. If you are going to try to root what you have, don't remove the leaf, but do remove the fruiting cluster. An unrooted cutting can't support fruit, leaf and still try to root.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the reply Betty,
So - since I still have access to the vines I will get more cuttings. Make sure I understand this:
I take cuttings from old wood that will have old leaf scars (not that I know what that looks like but I'll google it). Put in root powder and pot, water and do as any other rooting stem at this point. Make sure I have 3/4 scars in the dirt.

Questions:
After they have been planted should I put them outside while it's still pre-Spring? I see potted vines at big box stores outside now. Or should I keep it inside to get a head start on the season?

Also, how long does it take to produce grapes? 2nd year?

I'm still going to try to root what I have, removing the fruit cluster and see what happens -just can't trash them without giving it a try.
Kathy

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I've never started grapevine cuttings in a zone that far north. I left the pots outside next to the house and under a tree. So there was a small amount of protection. The temperatures in that part of San Jose, Ca seldom dipped down to freezing and then for an hour or two. You leave the pots outside if the temperatures stay relatively mild or put them in the garage. You can also propagate the vines indoors. It takes about 3 years to get the vine to fruiting size. Hope these links help answer you questions.
Veronica
http://www.gardenhive.com/fruit/grapes/propagate/stem-cuttings/
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/landscap/h1257.pdf
http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/grapes.html

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much.
Kathy

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have about the same kind of thing to say.. I have been lucky enough for the last couple of years to get grape vine cuttings from a vinyard..

I put three nodes underground and one node about ground.. The most important thing here is to not let them dry out.. watering every day.. if you can mist them that would be nice.

Don't move them from your original planting site for the first year.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm going to give it a try. Just to have her fines that she made so many jelly and juice from will make it wonderful.

Thanks to all.
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.