Anyone have a Vari Kennel 400 that they want to sell?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm looking for a used dog kennel which I'll only need for a month or two at most. It needs to fit on the back seat of a sedan, but hold a young giant breed puppy. I'd prefer not to buy a new one since I will not need it for a long. If I can borrow one for a couple months, that would even be better.

I'm thinking that the Vari Kennel 400 (or slightly smaller) will probably do the job. http://petchauffeur.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=TPCS/PROD/PMK/21521145

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wrightie, the one I got includes a panel to use when they're smaller. You just slide out and remove the panel when they get bigger. It's not a carrier type like that, just a wire kennel made of heavy coated wire. I got it at Tractor Supply.

This is the largest one I see on their site but they have other sizes:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34714_______14540%7C14596%7C34714?listingPage=true

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

We have one :) I know I'm not real active on this forum, but Jill can vouch for me :)

You're more than welcome to borrow it.

Thumbnail by Dea
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Dea, thanks! A couple questions for you - is yours the 400 model (I'm basing that question on dimensions), and secondly, are you able to fit it safely on the back seat of a typical sedan (as opposed to an SUV, etc.)? I'm not sure if the 400 is a little too large for a car seat or not...

I've got a couple email enquiries in to some local folks on Craigslist, so I'll see if that pans out and then follow up here.

Hart, I've got a couple of the wire crates that you refer to, but they are sized for a full grown Great Dane. I'm strictly looking for something small enough for transporting a puppy home from New England in as well as to/from the vet's for his 2nd round of shots. I'd rather take my husband's sedan for the CT trip as it's much more comfortable and fuel-efficient than my older SUV. Once we get passed those hurdles, I'll be ready to move him to my normal crates, so this is just a temporary crate. And since it's a temporary measure, I'd really prefer to not purchase a new one.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2008 3:26 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

It's 3 ft by 2 ft and stands 31" high. If it works for you, just let me know

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wrightie, I've got something you might be able to use. I'll check it out when I get home and measure it. I think it's smaller than Dea's but it's what a large breed puppy was shipped to us in. It fits on a sedan seat fine, and I can get the seat belt wrapped around in to secure it.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wrightie, the kennel is about 24" long x 18" wide x 18" tall.

Thumbnail by miatablu
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

I fit fine, but is it too small for Zeb?

Thumbnail by miatablu
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey Miata, that's one cute santypuppy you've got there! Thanks for posting the pics & dimensions. I think that it will be too small after all, believe it or not. LOL, he's 7wks old and about 20 lbs right now and he'll be much bigger in two weeks, when we need the crate. That's okay though; I've had lots of offers since posting this thread. Will update once I make a final decision.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

I thought it might be too small after taking another look at that picture. That's amazing he weighs that much this soon. Have you re-thought taking the sedan? You might need the SUV by the time you pick him up :-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL ! If I get a whole month's use out of the crate, I'll be shocked.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: I don't know what brand they are, but we have a series of plastic crates from the smallest to the largest that was available. You are welcome to take a look and borrow any that you like.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

"Can't we please go to the dog park? This basement ball game just ain't doin' it for me."
During the week I've been to one in Crofton. Weekends we've been to Broadneck. Both are about the same in accomodations- no water in Crofton in winter so must bring.
Annapolis has one in Quiet Waters parkwith more facilites and a dog beach, but charges admission or yearly pass.
I think there's one in Bowie near where the search was last weekend- never been there. A little farther for me and I've thought Addy might just explode before I got there.

(Lost that other thread where you asked, so I thought I'd highjack YOUR thread anyway!)

Thumbnail by sallyg
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

She's so cute, Sally! Where's the Park in Crofton located? I'm looking forward to lots of visits to Quiet Waters in the future. My last dog hated water, so I hope to change that with Zeb.

Btw, I'm going to try to meet up with Happy_Macomb this weekend and borrow a crate from her.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Crofton- you're coming up Rt 3 and take 450 east- that's at Jaspers, that big restaurant on the corner. Go right there, go about 2-3 miles and go right (South) on 424. Less than a mile on your right, Bell Branch Park, baseball and soccer fields, dog park all the way in the back. Your basic fenced area, divided for big and little dogs. I met the nicest ex DC cop there though with a pug, and he was the only small dog person so I asked if he wanted Addy to come in to ssmall dogs place and play. He was so nice and thanked me. Week or so later, I was on my out when he was arriving, and nobody there. Such a bummer to go and find no dogs. Be sure to bring your own water for dog in winter.
Your mileage may vary- I'm a gurl and can only roughly estimate
& ^P

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Gotcha - I know 424 pretty well, but never knew that there was a dog park back there. Thanks.

It'll be a few months (or more) before we'll be hitting the Bark Park scene, but it's good to know that there some nearby.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

While I'm thinking of it...

I would like to PURCHASE a second-hand X-pen, so if anyone has one on offer, please let me know. It would need to be big enough to contain a Labrador Retriever or larger dog.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

FYI: I no longer have a need for this kennel. I just returned from Happy's house, where she loaded me up on more than I could ever hope for. That's just how she Rolls.

Thanks, Dumplink!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd do just about anything for that Zebedee, you know. My mother used to describe our late dog Lacey as having "kissable lips." I see that on Zebedee too. A real heartbreaker.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Snort! I'm taking him straight to your house so that you can find out for yourself if that is true or not.

I LOVE your heuchera collection, by the way ...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

It is very sweet of you to compliment moribund plants. I'll post a photo of all the tombstones one of these days!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL - You *have* to stop putting down your GAWgeous gardens!

BTW, I'm glad that I snuck outside when I did today. I managed to give all of my liriope muscari a haircut, then raked the turf. As soon as I stopped, the skies opened back up and the hail came-a-flyin'. Poifect Timing.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, I just *finally* sorted out a correctly sized crate ... My house overfloweth in all sizes of dog crates and x-pens right now! I feel like Happy_Macomb.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.