Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Voodoo Queen-2

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I LOVE your Allure.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Howdy, Y'all.
Fighting viruses here but now getting blooms to aid my recovery. Here's the American Maid competing for Hibiscus of the Year.
peace
Barry

Thumbnail by BarrysHibiscus
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a grouping I recently was using as pollen parents as I make 50+ crosses per day in this cool and damp weather . .
If something pushes your button, ask about the name if you wish.
peace,
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Matt will be selling this one; just sent him wood for Rock & Roll . . 7-9" . .

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We're calling this elegant new one "Green Tea" . . 7-8" but it will be no one's fave color. Good grower and bloomer ..

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yesterday's Renaissance, 9" and very nice . . Matt has it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

btw, Renaissance is usually a loose double . .

Let's see . . in the background are some young grafted clones making first blooms and on the floor are yesterday's pollen parents I was using. Good bloom day!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a new one, Silhouette, that is almost blue at times, lots more gray sometimes, has pretty form at 8"

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yesterday's Area 51 . . always interesting . . Robert is growing this one ..

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The last for now . . a big orangey brown we're calling Tortuga.

Wishing beautiful blooms for you all, warm weather, and gentle breezes,

Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cat, thanks for posting all those pretty bloom photos. These are the first blooms of Irish Spring I've seen from outside my yard . . looks like it is doing well for you? Is the plant too floppy? I find it to branch very well but I see some tendency to droop . .

I really like Allure! Who grows that one?

Be patient with da Vinci; it gets bigger and better in the heat . .

Attached is Mountain Air, no spots in cool weather, competing for AHS Hib of Yr.

Thanks,
Barry

I really like that Mountain Air,Yesterdays Renaissance & Rock & Roll!!! Beautiful!!!!

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Cat, Liz & Barry,

WOW is all that I can say.

Cat All are beauties. I need your green thumb. My GH is so full right now it's not funny. Just stuffed everything in with this front I am just in Awe. Just beautiful!!!

Liz All are beauties. Is it warming any over there yet? BTW I finally got a heartbreak hotel.

Barry,
They just keep getting better. All are beautiful!!! I have loved area 51 since the first time I had seen it. Always in bloom and beautiful. My first plant is about 3' tall from the top of the pot. I hate to cut it, but it is a must. Silhouette is a beauty I love the soft pink eye. the perfect combination for the colors. Hope you are doing ok with the weather. Your not too far from here and it is taking everything I have just to walk outside with the wind! We were going to winnie for market today but decided it would not be good for the hibs with the cold and winds. Not a good combo for tropical plants.

I did manage to get a handful of PICS in. just a few but none the less a small contribution

Hibiscus
Barry Schlueter (trying to open) Maybe later today

This message was edited Mar 7, 2008 1:38 PM

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Fantasy Charm

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Haunted House

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Tsunami

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Starland (not as colorful as usual)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Barry's Ladybug

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

A Wild one from

Miss Vermont

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

And Finally

Hibiscus Barry Schlueter (opened all the way)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, Robert.
sue and I spent this morning rolling plastic back DOWN to cover sides of greenhouses and went thru a couple of boxes of 1/4" staples. Thank goodness for hammer staplers. We were hoping winter was over here, you see . . but we'll have mid thirties tonight. And that wind!
stay warm, Y'all.
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

One more today: Fame, a new 8" 2-3 day grayed yellow with amber eye, very firm texture; great bloomer but the plant seems a little slow to grow .. .

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hrumph . . that ain''t no amber eye . . but it is "Fame," so I guess just the veins are amber . .
Here's another one . .

Barry

Barry, your Renaissance is a winner and just who is that lovely one in the photo of the new grafted clones - the one with the red throat, white ring and sort of peachy/salmon colored petals with the yellow ruffles???? That one is amazing.

alice

This message was edited Mar 7, 2008 4:32 PM

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow, incredible blooms everyone! Liz, I just love Heartbreak Hotel and can hardly wait until I get mine. Cat, I am just green (Irish Spring green, lol) with envy - stunning blooms each and every one :-) Robert, my favorite is definitely Haunted House.

Barry, I really like Silouhette, Mountain Air, Area 51 and Renaissance - gorgeous!

Robert and Barry, take care in your last-of-winter yucky weather. I'm sure hoping we are done with the cold and wind now, as I started bringing my hibiscus out yesterday, getting ready to bug-spray, fertilize and synergize. I'm SO looking forward to having blooms like all of yours very soon :-)

Thanks for sharing!

karen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Alice, we've been calling it Three Ring Circus, but we need a name change because . . it isn't really ringed distinctively . . and . . we don't support circuses in the classic sense because of their history of animal cruelty . . bad form for us Peta members. However, we do Luvvvvv the Cirque de Soleil productions! Anyhow, here's another shot of that variety. IF y'all want to play, I'll send a plant of it in spring to the person submitting a name Susan likes (and of course all _I_ do is rubber stamp her wishes.)
;-)
What you may want to know is that is has extreme vigor and outblooms 90% of the other exotics who live here, is 6-7" in diameter, and will be offered to Hines this August because it roots at 100% also. I kinda doubt they will buy it because the coloring is more subtle than their typical preferences. But ya never know.
So any list members who have a name suggestion . . post it here and other folks can comment if they wish, and we'll keep this open a week or so. Other stuff you should know about our naming . . we love old songs (and we're young sixties in age), we don't use names that refer to use of alcohol because we object to THAT also . . (picky, aren't we?)
;-)
and we generally try not to use names that might glorify any of Mankind's worst habits . . things like war and pro sports . .
;-)
Go for it!

Yhat is a beauty!!! Looks like Sunny Ruffles to me!!!

I don't mean to appear greedy here (I was fortunate enough to win Susan's Sunset) but this is fun and I can't resist at least suggesting "Saltimbanco".

Quoting:
The show is described by Cirque du Soleil as a celebration of life. Its creators say they developed it to be an antidote to the violence and despair so prevalent in the 20th century. Saltimbanco offers its own vision of life, overflowing with optimism and joy. With its original score, Saltimbanco offers its own unique language conveyed through music, artistry, and singing. According to the company's site, Saltimbanco comes from the Italian "saltare in banco", which literally means "to jump on a bench.

Stay warm everyone, it is supposed to get down to 38 here tomorrow night. Brrrrrrrr, what kind of spring is this?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sunny Ruffles is a nice name for this one, Rene! And Alice, it happens that we have seen Saltimbanco and I love the idea of a Celebration of Life. On the down side, it's a wierd word that NON-Cirque folks wouldn't understand at all . . Still, I like that name a lot for this bloom!
You can suggest multiple names of course . . and I'll get Susan to start looking at these as soon as she cooks supper, sweeps the hearth, spins the yarn, cards the wool, and darns my socks.
Good thing she doesn't read Dave's List, right Gene? It'll be a cold night to be banished to the garage!
;-)
Thanks for playing, Alice and Rene.
barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Some recent ones used as pollen parents, starting at midnight/noon .. top center is Unforgettable, (Honor x Night Music)very new with good potential as awesome bloomer, but prettier when center is bluer in warm weather, then clockwise a smallish Sorority Girl (Goin' Steady x Atlantis), then one of my old favorites Blue Book (Wallflower x Atlantis), then a nice new red just on the orange side, called American Pride (Patricia Merritt x Barbara Finney) then Casanova (Pure Heart x Mellow Yellow). Casanova can be lots bigger and prettier, but this day I wanted his . . pollen, is all.

I wonder if any of you grow Wallflower? IF so, throw its pollen around this spring and stand back. It gives wonderful color intensity to the other parent and nearly never gives browns unless the other parent is brown. Fun, fun, fun. I wish I still had a Wallflower myself.
peace,
Barry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Robert--glad to hear you finally got that Heartbreak Hotel! You won't regret it! Our weather is getting warmer during the days--we've been in the high 60's/low 70's most of the time, but we're still getting into the mid 30's at night. It's a really annoying time of year because the GH tends to get hotter than I'd like during the day, but I can't take things out because the nights are still getting too cold.

I had a few new blooms over the last couple days...here's Cool It, first time this one's bloomed for me and I love it! Not to mention, it's now on day 3 of blooming even in my toasty GH...day 4 if you count the first day it was about half way open (the pic is from the first day it was fully open, but it still looks pretty much like this)

Thumbnail by ecrane3
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Zoey

Thumbnail by ecrane3
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Antique Treasure

Thumbnail by ecrane3
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Black Dragon

Thumbnail by ecrane3

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.