Ever dream about a Greenhouse?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Buttoneer belongs to the Hobby Greenhouse Association Central Pa Chapter back in January she invited both Ric and I to attend one of their meetings as her guest. We had a great time and there was a very informative presentation on Raised bed gardening. Well I went back today for the second meeting and Ric & I joined, even thought we don’t have a greenhouse yet. The meetings aren’t always about greenhouses but there is plenty of greenhouse and plant talk. Today’s meeting was about Birding. The presenter came with a very nice picture show of the many birds that live in or migrate through the Harrisburg area. He talked bird feeders, habitat and the finer points of identifying birds and threw in quite a few pictures and several interesting facts about Butterflies as well. There were flats of a variety of plant plugs being passed around from their co-op buy. I came home with three new plants that I picked up from the raffle table, last meeting I came home with 3 plants also from the raffle table, too. Some very nice and interesting people and a little refreshment made for a very nice morning.
The programs for 2008 all look nice.
May 3rd Growing Gloxinias
Sept 6th Growing Roses
Nov 1st Christmas Floral Designs

Now the programs for 2009 are the ones you really might want to take a look at.
Jan 3rd Building Your Greenhouse
March 7th Heating & Cooling your Greenhouse
May 2nd Lighting & Fertilizing your Greenhouse
Sept 12th Bugs in the Greenhouse and your Remedies
Nov 7th What are you Growing in the Fall/Winter Greenhouse

The meetings are in the Harrisburg area, every other month and run from about 9:00AM till 12:30PM on a Saturday morning. As well as the listed programs there is a yearly trip and a yearly picnic both held in the summer in lieu of summer meetings.
If any of you think you may be interested visiting these meetings as a guest or have an interest in joining please let Buttoneer or I know.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly:
I especially would appreciate attending the series in 2009...all the information I would benefit from as I was thinking about one day having a greenhouse! Where exactly in Harrisburg are they held? Are they always in one location, or do they have a new location for each meeting?

I would certainly feel priviledged to attend as either your guest or Buttoneer's.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think they are always held in the same location, other than the yearly picnic. Although maybe there are a few field trips.
Buttoneer would know.
They are not in Harrisburg city itself but across the river in a township building on the West Shore near Camp Hill and Lemoyne. I can get you an address so you can map quest it.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I used to live in Hershey for a few years and worked some of that time in LeMoyne, but I can't say I would be able to do it without a navigator now! I would certainly appreciate it.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

here is the email address of the President: Tom Eckert. Just email him privately & he will be more than happy to send you information & an application to join the club.
tjghg@verizon.net. You may visit the meetings at first to see if you are interested to join. I picked up 144 plants of Begonias for $ 20 at the coop & 64 Blue Delphiniums for $ 21.00. They are seedlings but these were very large this year. I plant the begonias in my window boxes I have placed around the pond & the delphiniums will be placed in various places around the garden. I just hope I can keep the delphiniums going until I can plant them out in a couple months. Holly, thanks for starting this thread. You might want to include a link to it in the DG greenhouse forum.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ratherbedigging, I can email you the links to print out the newsletter for yesterday's meeting & greenhouse visit. Just dmail me with your email addy & I'll do it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmmm, I wonder if I can save up enough money for a greenhouse by 2009.... ;-)

Of course, then I have to convince DH, my neighbors, and the HOA to let me put it up... LOL

That sounds like a really neat group, Hollly! I'd really like to check out the program on Christmas arrangements... Thanks for letting us know about it.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have dreamed about one, but to build and keep it going in this part of the country would be very expensive, if it was free standing heating it in the winter would be expensive and one time the heat goes out all would be lost. Unless I move south I'll just do my basement seed starting. Besides if I had a greenhouse I'd never get any house work done!

That group does sound great, wish I lived closer.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Is Albion closer to Philly than Harrisburg? There is a Delaware valley chapter that meets there the Saturday after our meeting.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Buttoneer...I will dmail you...

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ladygardener, if you live nearer Philly, there is one there, too.

Buttoneer, To Philly it's 411 miles
Harrisburg 298 miles And is see according to Mapquest there are 2 Harrisburghs the other is 417 miles

If you look at the Pa Map I live in that little piece North West that sticks up between New York and Ohio. On Lake Erie.

I'm stretching the Mid Atlantic region to its outer limits. LOL

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

OMG do you live near PGH or Erie?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

If you live near Pgh, there is a chapter there, too in Jeannette, PA

I moved up near Erie 36 years ago, I was born and raised in Pgh.
I work in Ohio.
We do have a local garden club that I use to belong to but there is not enough time. Maybe when I retire I'll reup.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Please note: discussion on trip to Lancaster County Nurseries: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/820942/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.