I've got a question??

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks, I'll go this week, I go to town once a week.. not too often..lol. Last time I bought one beer the clerk just smiled.. it was to make a loaf of beer bread.. but, I got "that" look..lol

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I found a Double Chocolate Stout when I was at Fresh Market. I figured the butterflies might like a little extra sweet in their brew!

Melanie

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Holy moly! A double chocolate stout!? Who would've thunk? You must have gourmet butterflies in Lutz! Ours go for Budweiser!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I spoil my butterflies! I figure they deserve it; they work hard pollinating my plants and beautifying the yard. I think of it like having a high-maintenance girlfriend - you've got to work a little harder if you want to keep them around, LOL!

Melanie

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You are extreme Mel LOL!!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, I've got to go get some.. I'm thinking that double chocolate should be good for both me and the butterflies..

lol.

A.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Y'all are cracking me up!!! LOL! LOL!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress! : )

Melanie

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Mel and the b-flies now performing at the DG comedy club! LOL!

ROTFLMBO!!!

Mesilla Park, NM

how cute..lol

Well, we got the beer at Sams for the butterflies, and I filled three hummingbird feeders today for the hummers.. I also put out some lint and string in a container for the birds... and the doves hatched a couple of eggs, and other doves are making more nests. A darned roadrunner jumped from pine tree to pine tree looking for nests on each branch...

Can I glue some bark together and put the mixture into the crevices? I need to find a piece of wood to glue the bark to and I think i can make a butterfly feeder on that.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It doesn't take a big piece of bark. I make a small bait tray, then painted it with the liquid bait.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Thanks for posting your photo, Sheila! I was trying to find one of the photos that I know are posted somewhere on this forum for Antoinette to see! Am adding your post to the sticky thread under the Butterfly Brew post. :-)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah, there are some good ones out there somewhere.

Mesilla Park, NM

Just wanted to let you all know that I made my brew this morning.. and, I found some bark, going to add some eye screws this morning and hang them around the trees..

I saw a couple more butterflies yesterday, some sulfurs and another one that looked a lot like a Monarch. Should I put some in the sun or the shade or both?

Thank you guys for all of your help. I'll be back later today after I make my bark feeders.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

You could also try to entice them to land by, making an artificial pond edge for the butterflies. Fill a large pot saucer with sand; add enough water to make it damp and place it out in a sunny spot.

Aquene,
Moe/WautukquesSochepo

Mesilla Park, NM

OOh, i have just the saucer's too. I've got them filled with water for the birds, but I need to add the sand .. I just finished this one, but don't know if I need to do something else. I was so excited that I just hung it in the middle of the yard.. I didn't know if it needed to be in the shade or out in the open.

I have another board for a second one, these boards fell off a wooded half-barrel. I drilled holes in the ends and used some metal plant markers and some pieces of leftover chain, and a skewer a the top, I just bent the bottom to form a hook and opened the top some to hang it. I'm going to make a couple of labels and put something like

"Butterfly Stop" on the plant labels.

If I need to put something else on there, please let me know or any ideas, or if I missed something.. I think I did not mash the bananas enough.

As soon as I turned around, one of our golden retrievers gave it a good lick..lol.. they are so used to eating bananas, that I think they thought it was for them..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Gourd,
I had bait stations hanging in the sun and also in the shade/part sun. The one in the sun seemed to get less action, just my opinion.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, I made one more, I'll go move them into the shade... here is number 2.. I glued some bark onto this one..lol.. Thank you ... I didn't know if they had to see them from the sky or what.. The other thing, was I supposed to let the bait ferment first? I didn't.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They will find them from the smell I think. I didn't have any takers the first week, guess it had to get pretty stinky first. After the first time they came, I didn't have to wait long for them to come when I put out fresh. I need to get my bait back out since it is about time for us to have a little action.

BTW.... I love your patio/courtyard stone!!

This message was edited Mar 24, 2008 6:39 PM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I've found butterflies also like watermelon. I place the rinds out onto stepping blocks in the garden, when I have them.

Aquene,
Moe/WautukquesSochepo

Mesilla Park, NM

I've moved them under a Mexican Elder Tree.. one is hanging right on the tree.

Thank you regarding the courtyard... it's taken us a year to get everything going.

maccionoadha, thank you for that information, what about the banana peels, i was wondering if I should leave those out somewhere too.. although, I live not too far from a dairy and the flies... sometimes are really bad.

I did see a white sulfur make a "U" turn twice so maybe it gets a whiff of something.

I haven't taken my eyes off them yet..lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't had sulphurs on my bait only the bushfoots have gotten excited over it. Question marks, Hackberry Emperors, etc.

Mesilla Park, NM

Well, maybe it wasn't a sulfur for all I know, it was a white butterfly, I'll have to see in the book what it could have been, for some reason that came into my brain..lol. I have to lookup those you mentioned too. I am very excited about this year and everything that I am planting, it is like discovering a new world.

Antoinette - Look on this site and click on your county, then skim down the list of butterflies until you find those marked "Brushfoot". Click on each name and most of them should show you a photo of what that butterfly looks like. That way you will get an idea of what to look for.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map?_fc=1&x=113&y=160

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Did the white butterfly look like any of these? http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=white+butterfly

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you both so much, I'll check out those sites. It was a big white one without any spots that I could see, but then again it was moving, so I can't be sure.

Mesilla Park, NM

This planter thing that I hung the first station on has these circles for plants, so I put some terracotta saucers with water, i'm thinking it would work with some wet sand too, but they dry out so fast, I may get some plastic ones, that way I can have the mud puddle there handy..lol I moved them into the shade under this Mexican Elder tree.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.