Heidi Chronicles: Adventures At the Backyard Buffet

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL I just, um, dug up, your article on worm romance, doccat--fascinating stuff. If anyone hasn't read it, here's a link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/562/

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Thank you, KyWoods :) Here's the thread that started it all, its a long one, but funny. I think we were all just a little silly that evening and it went down hill fast! These guys make me laugh out loud. DH thinks I'm in here losing it I'm sure. LOL http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/800649/

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

OMG Doccat, I was only able to make it about half way through your worm thread. The poor pups were quite upset after I started to choke for the second time and I had to quit and take them out for a walk. It has been raining for the past day or two. Fortunately it is now dark out so I did not have to be concerned that they see something they shouldn't. LOL

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Just echoing others' sentiments: raccoons and cats seem to take the prize for really loud romantic interludes. Not sure why this is true of raccoons; perhaps because they are the ninjas of the wildlife world, as Cheryl so well describes them, mating is their only opportunity to cut loose. With cats, there's a compelling anatomical reason for the sound effects, one that's always made me feel great sympathy for female cats. Cats are induced ovulators (don't ovulate until they're bred); to accomplish this, the male's shaft is covered with tiny barbs angled to rake the walls of a very sensitive part of the female anatomy when he withdraws. Ouch! Can you blame them for screaming, or for the fact that they usually turn on the male with mayhem in mind after mating? Wise and experienced feline males learn a very gymnastic "dismount" that carries them quickly back out of her reach. Now there's a species whose courtship I will never envy.... Sometimes you wonder how evolution came up with this stuff. Apologies to anyone to whom this may be "too much information;" I've always found it one of the many weirdnesses in the animal world.

Wow--it's a wonder there are so many cats! Very interesting, I didn't know that. Glad I'm not a cat...

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

KY -- i was thinking the same thing ..... I'd only have to go thru that ONCE and that would be the end of it!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Isn't that the truth!

I had noticed that female cats start snarling, spitting, and smacking the males around days BEFORE the event. I guess I understand why now. Probably bad memories from prior years. Years ago I bred my Siamese. Every time the male came near her she would smack him around quite seriously. He would sleep for a while and then try again to approach her, always (well until the last time, of course) with the same results. This went on for days. I was really feeling sorry for the poor chap. Her reaction makes more sense in light of this new info.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Well who knew!! LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Today I was rushing around trying to get some more work done in the garden - as time is rapidly running out. As I needed to drive the lawn tractor and cart through the feeding area, I picked up all of the toys, moved the furniture to one side and stacked the dishes neatly to one side.

Unfortunately, I used the last bit of cat food last night and was just too busy today to make a trip to the grocery store for more. I figure I will get some tomorrow on my way home (from jury duty). After all of that work this afternoon, I came in near dark to take a nap and woke up at 10PM. Oops. Late and with little to offer, I gathered what I had: 2 eggs for Heidi, a partial bag of peanuts (I actually had to go back for these), a bag of chipped sunflower seed kernels with nyjer, and an appetizer serving of pan seared Ahi tuna. Just in case you should find yourself faced with this kind of menu decision, apparently pan seared is a key word for raw but quickly seared around the edges much like rare [beef] steak. (ick, I've not yet acquired the love of raw fish, so I was hoping the raccoons might find it more appealing than I had).

By the time I made it out there, Heidi was waiting for me in the middle of the yard 1/2 way to the house. Apparently, seeing the 'destruction' of the feeding area she had decided to come and check on me. While I don't know which raccoon did it, when I got back to the feeding area I found that 'someone' had taken a single dish from the stack I'd placed off to one side and had moved it back to the area where Heidi would normally eat. How cute is that! Even as I was pouring the almost ground sunflower seeds into Heidi's dish I could see that this would not go over well. Heidi has high standards, after all. I set the 2 eggs beside her dish and placed the dish of tuna just to one side just in case she might find it acceptable.

After I had dispensed what food i had, I backed away, filled the other dishes with the sunflower seed 'meal' and then stood (as the furniture was all stacked to one side still) waiting to see how this would go over. It didn't take long to get an answer to that question. Heidi took one whiff of the 'stuff' in her dish, counted her eggs, and then, seeing that something was missing walked right up to my feet to complain. I must say that I had not been prepared for THIS reaction. I had expected her to be disappointed and perhaps even to refuse to eat anything except, hopefully, the eggs, but had never dared dream she would walk right up to my feet to lodge her complaint!

I stood there talking to her and not knowing quite what to do or how to tell her that times were hard (well, at least from her perspective) and this was all we had tonight - and anyone who didn't like this food would have to go hunt her own, although I lacked the courage to tell her that last part up close. I guess she got the message because after a minute or so she went back over to her dish to try to make do. With a look of disdain, she again sniffed the refuse in her dish and then proceeded to eat the eggs.

At this point I decided to stay a few minutes, which necessitated the retrieval of my bench which was sitting over on the 'sidelines' just maybe 3ft from where Heidi was eating. Although I half expected her to run away, after speaking to her 1st to confirm my good intentions I walked over to the bench, reached down with my 2 hands to pick it up, turned around and carried the bench back a few feet where I put it down and took a seat. Even I was amazed to see that Heidi had not moved from her spot nor even lifted her head from the egg she was eating. To have carried a sizable piece of furniture (read as projectile/weapon) so close to her without disturbing her was an amazing thing.

While Heidi was eating the eggs I recalled that the night before she had 'told' me that she wanted more peanuts. She had done this by walking from her dish over to the spot where I had tossed her peanuts on a prior evening and then sniffing around on the ground as though looking for the peanuts which I'm quite sure she knew were not really there. The maneuver was reminiscent of the dog that goes over to sniff or lick his empty dish so the owner might see that he is hungry. Anyhow, remembering this I went back to the house for the small quantity of raw peanuts in the shell I had seen in the cupboard.

By the time I returned with those peanuts, the others had arrived. Before I broke out the peanuts HRH and one of the others were actually eating the sunflower chips without complaint. Naturally once the peanuts started to fly I had to give them some just to keep them from bothering Heidi. More and more hungry raccoons started to descend onto the scene where they fought over peanuts and tried repeatedly to get a glimpse of what was in Heidi's other dish (the tuna). Even though Heidi did not appear to want the tuna neither was she willing to share. Cissy finally managed to run over there and grab a few medallions, kind of a self serve 'drive' thru and eat elsewhere deal. Soon the others were circling me in search of food, even the ones that don't normally come so close to me were all around me. It was as though someone had said, "Check with the human, she always has food." A time or two sensing movement on my far side, I even looked down to see HRH at my side in search of a treat, or at least something better than sunflower seed meal. It was heart breaking to have them all looking to me for food and have nothing more to offer them, but I tried to remind myself that these were perfectly healthy creatures that could and surely would go out and feed themselves as soon as I left.

Naturally, Trouble made quite the pest of himself. When the scant handful or so of peanuts had been devoured, he was quite determined to eat the few that Heidi had remaining. Until she finished, I spent the remaining time chasing him away from her. That she was willing to stand firm and continue eating while I walked toward her (in order to get to Trouble) in the dark my shadow falling ominously over her and me alternating between speaking her name nicely and making growling sounds toward Trouble was nothing short of totally amazing! Trouble was not particularly afraid of me so I had to walk up to about 2-3ft from him and with my hand out straight, finger pointing past him to the forest, growl and tell him to "go". Each time he would back away watching me and go over to the other side where he would merely walk around and back to launch another attack on Heidi's area. This went on non-stop until she had eaten the last peanut at which time I was exhausted from the effort to keep him back. It was a lot like dealing with a very, very bad child who was just determined to get that cookie.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Oh, this was a good story tonight!! I have been laughing so loud, I hope I don't wake DH up.

Just amazing, how I wish I could see something like this. It is wonderful.

Susan
=^..^=

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Susan!

So glad that you enjoyed it. This year I'm actually making real progress on the flower garden clean up and such. Hopefully, soon I will be able to turn my attention to that webcam idea so that you guys might be able to see more of the goings on. Well, that's the dream anyhow.

Forgot to mention a few things. When the others had consumed the last of their peanuts, they kept going over to the dish(es) of sunflower seed chips and digging around in there in search of something edible, like "where's that kibble. I know there must be some real food under here somewhere. she wouldn't have stuck me with this stuff, would she? what a bad joke!" Cissy looked like she was digging around in kitty litter or something. I half expected to see someone 'pea' on it.

A few minutes ago, however, when taking Widget out, I checked to see if that 'lousy' sunflower seed meal was still out there. Nope. All gone. Seems like once I left somebody decided while that stuff wasn't a raccoon's dream meal it would be better than the alternative - searching for ones own food and possibly going hungry. All 3 dishes of chipped sunflower sees and nyjer were totally empty and licked clean!

Now I'm off to sleep. It just wouldn't do for me to oversleep tomorrow and be late for jury duty. A bench warrant would look bad on my record.

That was priceless, Cheryl. They sound like a herd of kids faced with their least favorite of mother's recipes, complete with Trouble in the role of bad boy at the table. And I'm amazed that Heidi came right up to you to register her protest at the menu: how cute, but I know you were feeling guilty although we all know none of the coons are going hungry. Just think what a hero you'll be after a grocery trip tomorrow!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Ruth,

Upon quick inspection of her 'plate' Heidi walked right up to me as if to say, "Excuse me, but you seem to have forgotten something. There is no cat food in my dish!" By the time the others started to circle me, I felt as though they were saying, "Ha,ha. Very funny. Now, really, where's the cat food?" They used to eat whatever I gave them. They have come a long way and become more than a little spoiled. Seems like cat food has become a right.

Just got back from Illinois...Hey there's a song like that! Anyway,it took me a few hours to catch up and just wanted to let you all know how much I missed my "fix". I am glad you are doing better Cheryl,and hope the jury duty is not too taxing on you. I have enjoyed reading everyones posts from the duckling story to the informative metal in the teeth stories,Jagger look alike dentist,update on the backyard antics and everything in between.

Judy

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Judy -- I hope you at least got to enjoy the lil bit of nicer weather we had. I think there were 2 of them. LOL.

bet you are glad to be home... i know I always am.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Judy,

Glad to have you home again! Sorry, I guess we, ok, actually I, got a little OT this past week with tales of rock stars, drill bits, titanium, and drugs. What can I say? It happens - ok, esp when I'm around.

Day one of jury duty went well Here's a little factoid I learned today. When you report to jury duty, don't try to plan ahead by packing a lunch and stashing it in your laptop bag. They will confiscate your meal at check in. Apparently, food, even a sensible lunch, is now contraband. (I think they were just hungry!) When I left I asked for my lunch back, but didn't get it. (I still think they ate it.). I could have fed that unused lunch to the raccoons, darn it. Oh, and that reminds me of something I've been trying to remember to tell all of you for some time now.

In the building where my office is located, the folks who stock the vending machines daily pull (from the machines and from their supply cases) anything outdated (mostly applies to pastries) and anything damaged like crushed chips and crackers. These items are then left on the table in the break room with the understanding that they are free to anyone who wants them. The pastries usually disappear in a hurry. Unless you happen to be there when they arrive, you aren't likely to see any pastries. The packages of crushed and semi crushed cookies and crackers - you know the Lance cheese w/pb, nip cheese, etc -, on the other hand, aren't all that popular and can often be seen sitting there at closing time. About the only uses I can imagine for crushed crackers is (1) a novel breading (2) creative soup and salad topping (3) unique crumb crust.

Some 6mo or so ago it occurred to me that I could put those otherwise unwanted freebies to good use for while humans don't particularly like crushed cheese and peanut butter crackers, raccoon and opossums may well enjoy them. So now I grab those freebies whenever I see them - sometimes 3 or 4 packs a day - and use them as topping for the daily kibble. I've never seen any leftovers at the end of the meal, so I figure the crackers are appreciated.

Welcome back, Judy! Time for me to go out and try to make up with Heidi and the gang for that poor meal last night.

Santa Ynez, CA

Hello all, thanks for thinking of me, I feel like not too many people are as crazy about squirrels as I am, and have become even more. Well the sassy mama has been very busy cleaning the nest, she took some more beding up I presume to "clean house" we read up on her and it sounds like the babies don't come out of the nest for at least 3 more weeks, no wonder she is a little cranky, also when my sister was here, she attacked her, she was ok at first then I think she realized it was not me or my mom, she seems to trust us, we can pet her, although it has to be at her choosing, my dad tries to pet her and she makes a squeak and turns the other way. I think she is also protective about her babies even though they are high up in the tree. anyway she eats like a bear, we are giving her all kinds of thing to try, if she does not like it, she tosses it aside;) it is funny to see her so busy. She will eat a pinecone the seeds like a cartoon, tears into the thing and eats it and tosses the "stick" that is left down on the ground, it really is comical, away
still patiently waiting to see those babies. next post I will send some more pictures:) take care all Marie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

make,

How wonderful it must be to be able to pet her! I would really love to be able to do that. I don't dislike squirrels. It's just that I have lots and lots, tons even, of them, and they get into everything. They run up and down the roof, traverse the house via the gutters, jump from roof to tree and back, dig up every single seed, bulb, or small plant I dare to put into the ground (this can be particularly annoying), drain the bird feeders dry and refuse to let the birds eat, sit on the camellias daily in season to munch on the tasty buds (they can strip a shrub bare in a few days), eat all of the peaches while they are still green, and the list goes on.

They used to let me walk right up to them, but years ago I tried to chase them away from the feeder. They've never forgotten that. Now they run away whenever they see me. If I'd known that I might be able to make pets of them as you have, I might have refrained from chasing them off, especially since it doesn't really work anyhow.

Have you given any consideration to starting a thread just for your squirrel? I'll bet there are many people out there who would love to hear about how you can pet and her and such. I think that's just amazing! And I'm sure she is just adorable to watch.

I hope your sister wasn't hurt. Did she get a scratch or bite? If so, I hope she sought medical treatment. Not sure if squirrels may carry rabies or anything else that might be harmful (if scratched or bitten by them). Hope you get to see the babies soon.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Today I picked up 3 bags of cat/dog food. Hopefully, I won't run out again soon. Fed them dog food today, Purina. Although Heidi sometimes seems to like that particular type of dog food, I think she like cat food best. That said, after a day with nothing but mix matched leftovers, she seemed quite thrilled to get kibble of any kind.

The only other raccoons there were HRH and Trouble. Trouble was behaving himself until I lost my mind and tossed him a few dog candies. He gobbled those up, started acting 'crazy' and then ran over to steal a piece of peanut butter sandwich I'd given Heidi - this despite the fact that he had just finished refusing the one I'd given him, the one that was still sitting there on the ground when he left. I had offered him treats in an attempt to make friends, thinking maybe he acts up because I never give him any treats. Nope. He acts up because for now at least that's who he is. I think maybe he suffers (or we suffer by way of him) from a near lethal combination of inexperience, hormones, and youthful vigor. Hopefully time will take care of some of those problems.

Since I'd bought new bread at the store, I took the last few slices of whole grain bread from the old loaf out along with a cup of crunchy peanut butter (from a large jar of store brand pb bought for them). While out there watching things, I slathered a thick coating of pb on the bread to make sandwiches, then tore them into little finger sandwiches for ease of handling. I tossed one to HRH who ran off into the brush to eat it as he had done with his favorite granola that time before. When he finished it, he came over around me, walking around as though looking for more. I gave him another, and he sat down near me to eat it. That would have made for a great camera moment as he sat there holding his little finger sandwich between his two hands taking bites from it like a little person. As no one else showed up, I stuffed more pb in and around each sandwich and gave them to HRH one at a time as he sat there by me. In total, the big guy ate 3 slices of whole grain bread and 1cup (I used a plastic measuring cup to carry the stuff) of extra crunchy pb.

I don't think I got them a lot of stuff today (while at the store) except for the 3 bags of cat/dog food that is, but I did pick up a bag of pink, strawberry flavored marshmallows and 2 cupcakes. Oh, forgot to mention one thing that happened during the lul when I wasn't writing much. I had a single slice of cake (chocolate with vanilla frosting) that had been around forever so I decided to give it to the raccoons. I had been a little concerned about whether this was a good idea since I know that dogs aren't supposed to have chocolate. I was hoping that either the quantity in the (dark) chocolate cake would be insufficient to harm them or they would know better than to eat it.

The cake was so hard that I found I could only separate the cake into triangular layers each with one or more frosted side but could not break the individual layers into smaller pieces. Now that's some hard cake! This did not pose a problem for the raccoons, however. If anything it made the cake easier to handle as the usual moist cake tends to fall apart easily when I try to toss it and when they try to hold it. They loved the crusty cake, and I enjoyed watching them holding those triangles of hardened cake between their hands to take bites from it as though they were eating a large cracker - and the stuff was so hard you could hear the crunch as they ate it. The rock hard cake was a huge hit. HRH and one of the youngsters were the recipients of the cake, and since HRH is still with us I guess they can handle chocolate cake. (I wouldn't offer them chocolate candy though!)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I know I need to start a new thread. I'll try to get that done tomorrow. I have to sift through my pics in search of a lead photo and such. Tooth's hurting a bit tonight so I don't really feel like doing it now. This is really the 1st day that the tooth has given me more than the most minor discomfort since that 1st night. It's not anywhere near as bad as that 1st night now, just a nagging ache. Earlier tonight I had a salad with raw green peas in it (I love them). Anyhow I managed to get a pea over the hole where the tooth had been and then bite down on it - ouch. That was pretty dumb, especially since the rules I was given specifically said I shouldn't eat small items like nuts, rice, etc for obvious reasons. Raw peas weren't mentioned specifically but I imagine that I was supposed to see the similarity. (I really do need a keeper!)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl -- again.. the visual is amazing... i can just see the guys eating cake and sandwiches. What a hoot!!

and a whole CUP of pb!! holy cow... the calories!! but that fat will be great for his coat.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

No fancy tea cups and doilies?? Isn't that part of the package with dainty little finger sandwiches?

Great story, Cheryl; as far as I know, raccoons can digest almost anything, including chocolate, without distress. And tetleytuna, that's a great image; can you picture all the coons daintily munching their sandwiches with pinkies extended. Perhaps someone would ask HRH, "I say, old chap, would you be so good as to pour me another spot of tea?". HRH is clearly becoming very comfortable around you, Cheryl, and that's a really rare and special event!

Squirrels virtually never get rabies: for some reason, most members of the rodent family seem to be naturally immune. That said, squirrels can bite through black walnuts with ease and their bite goes through every glove ever made. The only times I was bitten was when picking up an injured adult; certainly didn't blame the poor creatures, but it was always memorable. Your mama sounds adorable, makj; and I'm glad you're being patient and waiting until the babies emerge. I always thought that squirrels define the term "manic" in their behavior, and never more so than when raising babies; they seem to achieve perpetual motion!

Santa Ynez, CA

I know they can be a pain, we do have a lot of ground squirrels, and they are not nearly as cute, however I do let them do just about anything, so far they have not hurt anything. I will say that little mama is very busy, she is always doing something, eating pine cones, hiding nuts, taking more beding to the nest, I am sure the babies are getting bigger and more hungry. I think my sister is ok, her hand looked bad, the squirrel did bite and scratch her, I could not believe how she attacked her, I was told the squirrel realized she was not one of the "squirrel pack" her hand healed up, the squirrel actual chased her back into the yard, if she does not want me or my mom to pet her, she squeaks and turns away from us, she will also sit on my mom's lap and eat grain out of her hand, she really is a cutie. she really has her work cut out for her, hard working.:)

I still have scars from a couple of squirrel bites from one I tried to rescue last spring. Boy, did that hurt! Those are some very sturdy teeth! And the poor thing died, anyway. I took it to be tested to see if I could have contracted any diseases, but there were none. That's when I learned that they don't carry rabies. I still won't ever try to pick one up again, though--I'll call a professional if need be.
But to have one tamed has got to be fun, and I hope you get to see your "grandsquirrels" soon!
Oh, and squirrels generally turn their noses up at safflower seeds (they're the white ones), so we have a feeder only for that so the birds can eat in peace. The squirrels have their own feeders. LOL

Santa Ynez, CA

It is not easy pleasing them all:), but sassy squirrel loves most nuts, the brazil especially and she can crank that baby open with no trouble at all. I have watched her sharpen her teeth and it is no wonder she can do what she does, sometimes when I go out near the tree where she usually is I call her and pretty soon she comes running to see what I have, broccoli went over better than i thought:) cashews call for dropping what she currently has in her hands and taking that:) I do think they are smarter than we give them credit for, she knows where the dogs can go and can't and taunts them, she does trust us and will let you know if she does not want to be pet.

Wow, squirrels like broccoli? I will have to put some of that out, too. Thanks for the tip, makj!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Finally sat back and enjoyed the story and the updates.

Reading about your encounter with heidi brought goose bumps to my arms. very touching and though you can't really explain it, I know what you mean.

Gonna call ya the coon whisperer. : )

I wil tell ya that everytime I eat a yougart or a smoothie, I think of the gang and their antics and smile.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Thanks! Thanks for letting me know. I honestly had no idea. It's very helpful to know when/what I do right - and wrong - in telling the story. Glad that the visuals for those scenes did come through, because it was adorable to watch.

Yep, it was an entire cup of pb. I wanted to take them a treat. I hadn't had a chance to rearrange things and organize after bringing all of the groceries in. All I could find in a hurry was the last few slices from that old loaf of bread. Then I remembered the huge jar of pb I'd seen in the cupboard (I loose things in there and find them again later). I wanted to put enough pb on the bread to make it really yummy. When I looked around for a small container to put the pb in, the 1st thing I saw was the little plastic measuring cups, so I filled the 1c size cup w/pb with which to make the sandwiches.

I hadn't thought of that, but I guess you are right. All that pb fat should help to give him a very shiny coat. HRH has been looking a little thin lately, esp when he's up close and I look down his back. Maybe he's just trying to stay trim for the ladies and for his 'boxing' matches, but I think he could use a little fattening up.

Glad you enjoyed the story.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

tetleytuna,

ROTF, did I forget to mention that we broke out the best china along with great-grandma's heirloom teapot and those little silver tongs? Heidi brought some tiny, vintage' tea-stained, linen napkins (from her collection back there in the forest of things borrowed from neighborhood backyards), and Snowball gathered wild violets for a posey. It was quite the event.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

That is more like it! I knew you would make sure that our kids got only the best. LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

LOL! Love the verbals. I can just see HRH sitting there in his driving cap and flannel vest. And the ladies wearing dainty voile prints edged in lace...

As I understand it, chocolate contains 2 stimulates, a small amount of caffeine and a larger quantity of another stimulate. In dogs, it's the stimulates that cause seizures and/or death if given in adequate quantity. Unfortunately, so many factors come in to play - size, age, general health, etc - that it's next to impossible for even a veterinarian to determine what constitutes a lethal dose for a given dog on a given day. Are you saying that raccoons appear to be immune to the effects of caffeine and similar stimulants? I guess they must be either immune to the effects or able to determine when to stop eating the stuff; otherwise, those dumpsters, especially behind fine restaurants and bakeries, would pose a serious health hazard for them.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

That reminds me, for some time now I've been trying to remember to tell you (well, lots of things, but the one that comes to mind now is) that believe it or not, and I couldn't dream this up if I tried, that red ornament of sorts, the one that appeared on the limb of the Heidi tree just before Christmas, is now gone. It was sometime during the week or so following Christmas that I realized I hadn't seen it in a while. I'm totally not kidding. The thing was at a height and distance behind the fence such that I couldn't come close to reaching it, and the density of branches in that area made it pretty much impossible to reach it even with a pole of some kind without knocking the branches down. In addition, it's too swampy back there and the underbrush is too thick for anyone to walk back there in the forest to move it. But, still, shortly after Christmas, it vanished.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

makj,

Squirrels rank in the top 10 in animal intelligence as determined by IQ tests in which animals are scored based on (among other things) their ability to manipulate their environment, make and use 'tools', etc. In fact, I believe they were closer to #5 or 6 on that list. So you are right. She is very intelligent.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, starlight!

LOL, I like that - 'coon whisperer!

Nice to 'see' you again. Thanks for the compliments.

Good question, Cheryl: I don't know if raccoons are immune to the stimulants, or if they just know how much they can safely eat. But urban raccoons, for whom natural foods are pretty much absent in the environment, live perfectly healthy lives eating out of garbage cans and dumpsters; so clearly they have guts of iron or superb common sense, or both. They can devour vast quantities of grapes, as we know from your tales, and they are toxic to some dogs; and though dogs will try to eat some pretty disreputable things, their owners usually have to clean up the aftermath, or arrange a vet trip, or both.

I agree that squirrels are very intelligent: just look at all the supposedly squirrel-proof feeders which don't even challenge them. But I've always taken the results of most animal IQ tests with several servings of salt: so much depends on the animal's ability to cooperate with the testing procedure. Really, try to imagine giving an IQ test to a cat, for example. Picture the cat giving the tester that trademarked cat look that says, "Are all members of your species this stupid? You want me to do what? Tell you what, you go right ahead; I'll watch." Gotta love cats: nature's instant cure for human egotism....

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>"Are all members of your species this stupid? You want me to do what? Tell you what, you go right ahead; I'll watch." Gotta love cats: nature's instant cure for human egotism...

OH Ruth... that is so funny!!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Boy, ain't that the truth!

Amen, Amen, our Missy runs this household and allows us to take proper care of her royal majesty. She is a hoot! She and Tank (my Boston stud) are great friends. I've got to try and get a picture. They will "kiss" each other and she will lay down next to him and groom him occasionally. If she want's dog food, they get out of her way, all 5 lbs of her, LOL. When we have puppies, she will get in the whelping box (and Bitty allows this? no problem) checks out all the newborns, strolls out and gives me such a look! It's like do you know there MORE dogs in here??? She will "train" them as they get bigger. No chasing the cat, among other things. Gets them down and grooms the devil out of each and every one... It is tooooooo funny. By the time they are ready to go to new moms and dads, I always include that information on my new puppy "cheat sheet".

Santa Ynez, CA

Thanks scutler, it does sound funny but, she smart, here is a pic of her and one of the many pine cones she devours:)

Thumbnail by makj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.