Elizabeth Lawrence Garden Tour

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

thanks bev u r awesome...I can go for a Wendys Frosty, baked potato and chili personally, but I don't want to offend my driving companions on the way home LOL JK

Charlotte, NC

Just to help you gals out a little. The Harris Teeter market in the Park Road Plaza sells subs and other assorted deli type foods.

Get your food at (or near) the Park Rd. plaza because there's nothing to eat near Wing Haven. The only restaurant on Selwyn would be a place called Nolans (sp?) at the corner of Selwyn and Colony. I've never eaten there and I don't know their weekend hours.

There's another small plaza (anchored again by another Harris Teeter) about a mile south on Park Road, just south of Seneca Pl. There's a good Mexican joint there and a pub/eatery.

Between the Park Rd Plaza and the above mentioned plaza you'll find a McCallister's Deli on Park Road, and a couple of BBQ joints, and the 'Angry Ale's' pub off of Montford.

Don't head north of the Park Plaza, you won't find anything except a Jack in the Box burger joint a couple miles up.

:) I know where all the food is in town... I'm a growing boy.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, mm...love the screen name, btw! Seems I'm not the only one who can't sleep, lol!

I'll leave it to the rest of y'all to decide what and where.

Raleigh, NC

I have no preference.....someone with a preference step in....

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Harris Teeter sounds good if we can sit outside somewhere. They do have great sandwichs, soup or salad. Mulletman, do you know if there is a sitting area in the Park Road Plaza?

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

tggfisk...you have d-mail

Charlotte, NC

Flea, I don't believe you'll find anywhere to sit other than perhaps the bench at the bus stop :) You might be better off hitting up McCallisters or Jason's Deli, which are both in the same vicinity (just across the street) as Teeter.

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Good to know Mullettman. Thanks.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

a deli sounds awesome to me....

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

me too.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Ok so lets all just meet up in the parking lot of the Park Road Shopping Center....park by the soda shop so we have a general meeting area and then we'll see which deli has better pricing/??

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

What time?

I'm bringing the DH, so add one to the list if that's ok.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

We will be leaving from here soon. Sorry that we won't be meeting you for lunch. No one ever said what time we were going, so I didn't leave enough wiggle room for that. See y'all at the tour.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

sorry bev...I think the time just got lost in the posts..I had put noon on my post from the 15th...we will see you at EL's .

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

My bad, deanna:-) With the week I've had, it's easy for me to get lost, lol!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

hope you gals have a great time! wish I could be there....

lol...I'll be home if anyone wants to drive out of the way and help with planting...lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

OK, rednyr just called and asked to let everyone know they are eating at the Pizza Fuel cafe in the mall

have fun guys!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

wow - home and tired with so many thoughts racing thru my mind...who knew so much could be packed into one space...so many things to digest and take in...

It was awesome to meet all of you in person! Fanceyflea I am so glad you were able to make the trip prior to going to TX! Kara I missed you on this trip girl....thank you for posting for me where we ended up eating...I sincerely hope everyone had a great time, I truly think Ms. Wilson was happy to have so many knowledgable guests asking all sorts of questions....

Can't wait to see the group pic in front of that infamous gate!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

It was very cool, eh?! Glad we missed the storms, though. There were some kicking ones on the way home!

I sincerely had a great time. It was a beautiful garden with terrific people:-) Thanks Deanna for setting it up for us!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

well, I hate to sound like this when I coudn't go but, did anyone happen to take pictures?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

we did ....I bet Bev will post some soon - she even wore out her batteries and had to send DH to get more from the car so you know she was filling that memory card on the camera LOL but heres a preview....

Thumbnail by rednyr
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

sweet....yucca love....lol

Raleigh, NC

Thank you guys for making this possible (and just being such nice people, too!). I have wanted to see her garden for so long, and can't believe that Ms Wilson was so kind and giving as to show us her home!!!! The whole day just was such a great positive--wonderful people who care about preserving such an amazing legacy, an incredible garden that was such a labor of love, nature's beauty, just everything. Can't wait to see all the pics!

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey guys..taking a break from packing to say I really enjoyed the garden tour and meeting Lindie Wilson. She was so kind to let us into her home. I really love that house. It was full of neat stuff, photos, prints and plants. I will post some of my photos when I settle down home in Texas. It was so great meeting all of you...God bless, Elissa

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I swear to God I got goosebumps and felt a strange elation and teary eyed all at the same time when I Katelyn and I walked over to this while everyone was talking out front prior to starting the tour...Katelyn took all but two of the pics (the Yucca I took cause I knew miss kara would like it LOL)

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Fleurs - did you write down what Ms. Wilson said this was...I can't remember...

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

and this pic does not do justice...it was such a beautiful little guy standing out on his own...

Thumbnail by rednyr
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Buckeye, wasn't it?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

tried uploading this last nite and it didn't work...will try again...this is my favorite thing at the home...

Thumbnail by rednyr
Columbia, SC

I remember that as Buckeye (Aesculus). I agree with you rednyr about that quince (Cydonia oblonga, if my notes are right). I'd be glad to share my photos with everyone just as soon as I figure out how. (Suggestions very welcome!).

rednyr, thanks so much for organizing the fun outing. In rereading Emily Wilson's biography of Elizabeth Lawrence, I'm astonished at how EL's writings evoke the feeling of her Charlotte home and gardens. It was frustrating not being able to hear every single word Lindie Wilson said, but trying to snap photos and take notes kept me busy -- okay, and being transfixed by the gardens slowed me down some. Ha! I need at least half a day to study those amazing 3 x 5 cards in EL's handwriting and never even looked at Lindie Wilson's cards. I completely forgot to sign the book Ms. Wilson wanted us to sign, and I had meant to buy her book, too.

I realize the Garden Conservancy and Wing Haven will maintain the home and gardens, but hearing Lindie Wilson's explanations and walking in the garden are experiences of a lifetime. Thanks, rednyr!

PS Would have chimed in sooner about the tour, but I'm wrestling with newsletter deadlines for at least another day~

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

no problems Pat - I'm just glad you wrote down the names of so many things because I can't remember from one minute to the next LOL

Good luck with the newsletter!!!

Columbia, SC

I still need some direction for posting a photo in a thread -- or where to go to find out.

Meant to tell you, rednyr, that I love your gate photo (mine has all these folks in front of it, for some reason). Ha, ha. And I'm so glad you took a photo of the pitcher plant because I had to change my batteries when I tried to snap it.

Am I the only person considering a return trip? I mean, have to see it at different times, right?

Raleigh, NC

Interesting thing I noticed last night, rereading EL's biography. On her garden plan--the same one we saw hanging on the wall in the back room--she designated that the Aesculus was to be white. We were so intrigued with ID'ing it because its flowers were RED. Wonder why she ended up with that color, instead of the white she planned on her drawn garden design?

Columbia, SC

Seems likely that a great deal of the garden has had to be replaced since it was begun in the late '40's (if my memory serves, which it doesn't very often!). Lindie Wilson said the Camellia japonica hedge was original to the garden. I'm guessing the Cydonia oblonga and the Stewartia pseucamellia (I'm thinking that was the tree with special designation as the largest one in the State) are both from EL's original garden, too. Oh, and the 'Old Blush' climbing in the front came from a cutting she got from Mrs. Clarkson who owned the home that became Wing Haven.

Blast it, yotedog, now there's something else I'm frustrated about: I didn't study that plan of the garden nearly enough!

Thumbnail by Fleurs
Columbia, SC

Okay, now that I figured out the photo posting, here's us last Sunday with Lindie Wilson:

Thumbnail by Fleurs
Raleigh, NC

Fleurs, the plan is posted at the EL website, and is also in her biography. Problem is, its a little small in print in both spots, making it hard to truly appreciate...

Columbia, SC

Here are three hellebore photos, beginning with what I believe is Helleborus foetidus:

Thumbnail by Fleurs
Columbia, SC

Here is Helleborus orientalis (I think I've got the name correct):

Thumbnail by Fleurs
Columbia, SC

Lastly, here is a slatey-colored Helleborus orientalis with a variegated Arum just to the left:

Thumbnail by Fleurs
Columbia, SC

Can't stop without sharing what Lindie Wilson described as a plant she added to leave her mark on the gardens: a gorgeous azalea, possibly a flame azalea (but I'm not at all sure I have it identified correctly). I'm 5'7" tall and you'll see from the angle of the photos how extraordinarily tall the azalea is. The overcast lighting last Sunday was perfect for capturing the color.

Thumbnail by Fleurs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.