Elizabeth Lawrence Garden Tour

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Hey all,

are any of you interested in a bunch of us meeting up and touring both Elizabeth Lawrences home and Wing Haven Sanctuary in Charlotte, NC? May 10 & 11 will be an open house in conjunction with one another, they will also set up private tours for up to 25 people at other times. The May tour is $5.00 donation at Wing Haven, I am unsure if they are charging for Elizabeths home that day.

Here is a link to both so you may learn a little more about each

http://www.elizabethlawrence.org/

http://www.winghavengardens.com/about_us.htm

Winghaven is currently in the process of purchasing EL's home from Lindie Wilson, the caretaker/gardener extrodinaire who purhcased EL's home and has worked so very hard and dilgently to bring the gardens back to original form and adding her own personal touches and favorites..However, Dia from Wing Haven was very nice to speak with and showed a willingness to put together a tour for those interested other then the May open house...

So...tell me your thoughts?!?!?!?

Deanna

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I would love to go, Charlotte is not far...but for me, a private tour sounds more appealing

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ty for your support!

Raleigh, NC

You know my feelings on this!! LOVE to!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I am going to post something on the round up page as yotedog had suggested we might try to tie it in with the May 3rd date...I just wanna goo.....noooww LOL

Raleigh, NC

Let me know if I can help organize rednyr. Thanks for taking the lead on this--great idea you had!!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

honestly, red, yote, if y'all wanted to go sooner I am cool with whenever, it's not far, really. And yote, my place is sorta on the way, you'd be more than welcome for a visit and plant-snatching...and you too red, even though it's out of your way :)

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Hey if no one shows interest I have no problem driving up there and checking it out...and of course pilfering your yard Trop. ha ha haha

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

No kidding...bring a load of mulch, will you? lol

Raleigh, NC

And bring one here first! And spread it..........don't forget spreading it.....

Raleigh, NC

Bumping this message up so everyone sees it!

Columbia, SC

I'm a couple of hours south of Charlotte, but I'd love to tour Elizabeth Lawrence's garden and Wing Haven. Are y'all still putting a group together or do you have an idea of when you'll go?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Fleurs - not sure yet - we were trying to see how many folks might be interested...they have an open house in May but both Yote and I suffer from lack of patience to wait that long LOL

I had sent several columbia dg'rs a dmail in hopes of garnering some interest...it would be nice to get about 15-20 folks together to go...will keep this thread updated

I'd be interested, if it's on a Sunday. :o)) Just keep us posted. :) Hope to even see Tropicana's yard. hehehhehehehehhhee as an "after mint" of touring the 'main course'

rebecca30

This message was edited Mar 5, 2008 7:58 PM

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

yay! I love it when I actually get to meet people here

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Thank you for your interest! Thats 5 so far...

Raleigh, NC

Ok, people...bumping this up again, because you don't know what you're about to miss!! C'mon Carolina gardeners--must I Dmail this to everyone in the state? This will be a great time!

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm would love to see the EL garden. I have read one of her books and live near Charlotte.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok, ok!! Too much temptation to resist....:-) I'd love to go. Can I hitch a ride from Raleigh with someone? Hint, hint....
Bev

Columbia, SC

I'm hoping my hubby will join us, too~

Winston Salem, NC

If you are going in late April or after the first week in May, I'd love to join the tour. I'm in Winston-Salem and would be glad to carpool. Sounds like a fabulous opportunity!

Beth

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Well?? What are we waiting for. I can only go within the next 5 weeks. I'll be moving to Texas end of April. I need a garden tour.......

*hoping for a Sunday* :o)))

r30

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

fancyflea! I thought you were moving to Raleigh?!

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Tggfisk....boy have things changed. Some health issues popped up so I will be needing my brother and large extended family in Houston.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry to hear that. It's nice though, that you have family to help you.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ok so let me see...we have

tggfsk - (raleigh area)
rednyr (columbia area)
fancyflea (mooresville area - sorry where is that?)
tropicana - (third rock from the sun - jk - Clemmons NC)
rebecca 30 - (preferably a sunday)Fuquay Varina, NC
bethw336 - Winston Salem, NC
fleurs (hey fleurs - got back late last nite - i will dmail you back shortly)columbia area
yotedog (raleigh area - you and tggfsk wana car pool?)

so bearing in mind everyones schedule mid April sounds the best...is that correct with all of you? if so I will call WingHaven and see if they can arrange a private tour and the def. cost of such during the second or third sunday in april - am trying to do it then so we can accomodate fancyflea before she has to leave us to go to tx - that would be a nice send off for her don't you think!) let me know if this sounds good to you all and I will make the call by Friday this week to check on those dates if it works for ya'll - my pastor will just have to miss me at church :o)

Deanna

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Deanna, that sounds great to me. Mooresville is about 30 miles north of Charlotte.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

works for me, thanks for gettting all of this organized. I know you just got back from vacation and came home to storm damage so if you need anything, let me know :)

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I need a load of mulch...and can you spread it too lol jk

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

there are better people than me that can answer that, but they better not tell

Raleigh, NC

I actually have conflicts with both dates, but not ones that are set in stone. Probably, the 20th works the best for me, not sure. Another plus for the 20th is its one week later in the season, so more things will be out. I still think we can get a few more folks once the date is settled, as I'm sure some are interested but don't know if the date works. Thanks! Anything I can do to help, at this point?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ahh yote I am sorry...I can surely get things in motion for the 20th if that helps at all....LMK..I still have to call and see if they will even do a sunday...so perhaps I should do taht first

any updates rednyr? :o)

rebecca30

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I have sent Dia an email, I sent another just now asking her to confirm if they can do a tour April 19 or 20th preferably the 20th.....thanks for kick Reb. I needed it to get myself in gear...will let you know asap when she replies...

Deanna

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I received a reply back from Dia stating the 20th will work fine with Lindie Wilson, the homes current owner! I will call her Monday to firm up a time in early afternoon, say 1-2pm ...tell me quick if anyone has a conflict with that time frame :o)

I am so jazzed!

Deanna

1-2pm sounds good for me.

rebecca30

Raleigh, NC

Yiippeeeeee!!!! Raleigh area people, I might be able to carpool---have to check and see if family are going to accompany me, as we have relatives in the area....more on that later!

For me, it will most likely be:

Me and 10 yr son

Raleigh Group:
If we all can carpool that would be fabulous, if not I can follow via car. :o) Either way is fine.

Raleigh, NC

Rebecca30---My eight-year-old son might have to go along, too, so your son will have a buddy. Not sure if my spouse is free all day that day to be with him. FYI......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.