For Gita- and ?- stealing slats from mini blinds

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hey Gita, and anyone else needing more slats to cut up for labels. If you haven't bothered to shorten your blinds when they were installed, here's how to get slats. First, let it all the way down. I have about ten extra slats here. The slats rest on string 'ladders' with the lifting string going up and down. These are narrow with only two lifting strings. Lifting string goes through a slot in each blind.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Cut the slat of plastic without cutting the string. That will let you get it out. Cut each slot open.

Thumbnail by sallyg

When you cut open each slot, you can take the slat out.

Thumbnail by sallyg

But since that was below the windowsill, when you bring up the blinds, you'll just have some extra 'ladder' string. Slats don't matter.
I have shortened blinds before, but I can't describe that too well. Well, maybe I could if somebody begs, do pictures of that too. If you just want a few slats out, this is easy.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Chantell, recognize that plumeria cutting? you gave me that. I was so excited after talking to you, I brought her up to my sunny bedroom and gave her a small drink.

Side item- Gita and Elf- this pot on the left is the plain terra cotta one I put on one coat on walnut color polyshades. That plant is Sempervivum arachnoides/deum? that is looking a little happier since I started watering it a ittle now. I guess it got too dry. Gita, the cutting you got at swap is the plant on the right.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sally, if you keep an eye out, I've seen mini blinds on sale at Walmart and Lowes for as little as $2. That would give you enough slats to last you a good while.

Sure would! depending on the length you like, and the size blinds, you get 4 long labels or up to say eight short per sla t most blinds come 64 inch so thats a couple hundredlabels.Also those places like Big Lots/ Ollies probably get them sometimes. I have had to replace miniblinds here, but saved the broken ones for this. These are vinyl. I used aluminum but they kink.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Hey, good idea!! Sallyg, that was a nice presentation, pictures and all. Now I can use those old white blinds again that I took down when we moved into this house...they're still in the closet.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally, I have been using mini blind slats for years. I like them for labels in my seed flats, and use a pencil to do the writing. They work better then any label system I tried. I think I still have quit a few in a blind box stored in the rafters in the basement, I saved them before I started my seed starting system. I guess it pays to hold on to things "just in case".

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The mini blinds work great. I had several in the garage I was using, and then a carpenter doing work on other things in the garage saw the cut-into mini blinds and assume they were trash, and so pitched them. I'm still sad!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sorry, Happy I think it's a man thing, toss before asking. Like the time my fence was put up, I planed to leave the posts long to put up bird houses, the guy that put up the fence usually calls me when he was coming out to work, when I got home all the posts were cut short. UGH!!! I even told my husband to tell him and he forgot.

PS: If you are going to Longwood gardens on the get-together I have some slats I can share.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 11:30 AM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally - yeah you to list the ABC's of doing this...esp. for folks like me that scratch head saying "huh?" LOL Ahhh glad to see your plumie is doing well...heat, sunlight, and drinks will get it going and ready to go outside once night temps are 50 and above...whaaa whooo!!! Also I'll be receiving seeds from Brad for anyone interested...I'll post that separately though.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

I just found this Thread!!!!!!
Talk about not paying attention and ONLY reading the "watched" Threads!!!!

Thanks, Sally! You are the bestest!

I got almost a whole mini blind at work (HD) that had fallen apart. Talked to the Supervisor and he said "As long as I can keep the top pare to mark down--you can have the rest".....

SO! I am now supplied for many moons to come------------AND! I have yet to shorten all my own mini-blinds I have in the house--on every window.

Still ashamed that I misse this Post......:o((

Gita

I just took a big one apart- the mechanism on the picture window one had broken. So I have a ton now too, like hundreds can be made from this.

Thats OK Gita- I had forgotten about it too!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And---now that I have transplanted most of my seedlings in their semi-permanent pots--I cut all the blind pieces even in half vertically. Much easier to insert in the cell packs.

BTW----Red permanent marker almost all faded on the blinds markers. I used black this time.....

Sally! WHAT is the "story" on your tall, white Nicociana" seedlings??????? Mine are holding at 1/4". WHEN and HOW will they shoot up to be 3' tall??????

I have a lot of Alpine Strawberry seeds coming up! Now about 1/4" tall. Will gladly share! I have NO beds to plant them in....:o( The one Jill gave me last Fall is in a 16", above ground pot. It made it through the Winter! Has new growth and seems OK. Of course, as usual, we really had NO Winter.....

Gita

I bet your Nicotiana are getting bigger tho- admit it, they are dust size when they sprout. They don't get tall first, they get bigger flat leaves for awhile.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

They have this marker co-op going for those that didn't know - ending tomorrow, though, I think: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/831710/

Gita - the Nicotianas piddle around for a bit and then all the sudden "take off" - gotta have some nice heat and sun for them though

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.