hawaiin woodrose/merremia

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay..so high phosphorous....thanks.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

and that will work with all flowering plants
if you want seedling to grow then it 10-10-10 or 15-10-15 no higher

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I usually give the Beaumontia and Murtonni Grandifloras and the solandra maxima the bloom booster which is similar, however it's application time is important with those vines...the woodrose, regularly then? once a month?

twice have you figured out when it is suppose to bloom in your area start the fist feed two months and then one month then it will bloom for an extended period of time if it blooms all year then every month

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay..thanks for the advice, I bet it would bloom here in a couple of months as the humidity cranks up. In fact I think that is the factor of it's increased activity as we've been 15 degrees above normal and fairly humid until a cold front popped in today

by the way I would never allow any vine to get 40 feet I then to go clipping crazy sine most vines if you clip the end it will force more blooms that is what I do with my perennial vines I keep them trimmed and get 10 times more blooms than the one I see on other properties that are not trimed

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

agreed, it's been hacked every 6 months. In fact I wondered if this particular vine needed to be big to produce...sounds like it doesn't.

no they dont you can shape it anyway you want

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for all the info..It's definately going to get a haircut, if that Blue Jay isn't nesting inbetween the brugs and top layer of woodrose. Also a good fertilizing..we've had a 3 day deepwater soak after 3 months of no rain...it's going to go nuts

oh yes a good watering is always good and now it will probably start blooming in about three to four weeks

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I will post pictures and do a dance if it does!

add some compost to the soil around it that will help and if you want mega flowers use 15-52-15 fertilizer it works great
my passion fuit vine has about 50 buds and its not suppose to bloom till july lol
got a little exited and started to fertalize everything last month hahahhah

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

cool, sounds like your as crazy for vines as I am! my crazy collection
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/2950/

wow you are so much badder than me lol hahhahaha
I grow vines but I am restricted by my zone I grow all annual vines that I can get my hands on and I have a few tropicals passion and madagascar jasmine love the flowers also bougainvillia and monrovia those are outside in the summer and in for the winter
if I lived in your zone I would be dangerous hahahhaha outside I have a orange trumpet vine that I grew from seed wont bloom for while yet lol years and I have a wisteria that wont bloom for a few years either I moved to this house 18 months ago and had to start everything over again lol after working on the other place for over 10 years boy they got a nice property when they bought it lol it was perfect but I was told that they are not taking care of it and its turning into a jungle lol

checked out your vines you have an amazing collection
I saw that you have a canary vine how long does it take to go from seed to flower I started some last month for my daughter she loved the picture of it on the net so I bought some seeds.

I am also growing many different MGs and JMGs this year

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes it is dangerous...the canary vine was started by seed 2 years ago and has yet to bloom. Usually it takes an average of 3 years from seed for some of these to bloom. It also is not in an ideal location and is fighting a ton of other vines for sun. The lates vines I've added have stayed in pots so I can move them around. They have an amazing ability to live in small pots but vine in huge spaces and bloom.

it said on the package that they annuals lol so would bloom the first year but it say full sun
maybe yours is not blooming because of lack of sun and maybe you need to fertalize the little bugger

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

all of the vines need fertilizing, and it most likely is lack of sun..it's at the base of some huge vines. I just added few different Cucurbita batwing passion, which seem to like a bit more shade.
I'll be happy if I can get the woodrose to bloom...twice monthly it will get the fertilizer for at least 3 months...

I find that vines are heavy feeders and need lots of water to bloom since in there natural habitat they bloom during the wet season and are almost dormant during the dry season

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I'm finding the fine balance of wet and dry. I notice that alot of the vines I have prefer very arid dry conditions, then like you said when blooming comes along reverse course and wants lots of water and feeding.

plants usually are adapted to the environment they grow in as natives
I grow many plants that are native of my area so I dont have to spend my time watering all summer
I grow many different types of echinaecia and clematis and trumpet vines since they dont need watering in my zone now if they go in a pot on the deck I dont mind watering them everyday

I just hate dragging the hose bad back

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm pretty lucky here as it's sub-tropical and in ground plants don't require alot of watering..potted plants on the other hand are another story.
This is the first year the chalice vine bloomed, and the dry fall seemed to make it happy. I'm curious to see if our 3 day rain is going to add blooms to it. I did notice one by my bedroom doors growing today.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

that is one nice flower
nice picture

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.