Daffodils

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

King Alfreds are starting to open. Otherwise, I have lots of stems and buds but few flowers at this point.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Nicely done Steve--I love the large-cupped ones too! =)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

You're always the fist to post! Lucky you! And thanks for sharing. t.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Lucky you! Just starting a few sprouts here, otherwise nothing but grey (or is it gray, I never remember which) yucky skies.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Just lots of snow and ice here, nothing green will be showing for some time.

Thanks Steve, for the eye candy.

Maxine

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Jolly 'King Alfreds' Steve!
I got my two first narcis opening today. Don't know their name they came in a mix of botanical species.

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

This one got a visitor;

Thumbnail by bonitin
Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Narcissus 'Avalanche' --one of the tazettas

Chris

Thumbnail by chrisw99
Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

I think this is the Single Campernelle narcissus

Chris

Thumbnail by chrisw99
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks all - I am excited! Bonitin, your species are very pretty. I have about 8 or 9 varieties total of Narcissi but plan on expanding my collection next year.

Very pretty, Chris.

Maxine I was wondering if you went into hibernation!!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Tabasco, well you're responsible for starting the allium thread!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Probably should as all I can see is snow and ice!
With maybe a itty bitty patch of dirt in places.

Maxine

Love all the flowers as its so nice to see a touch of spring. Have never hated a winter so much as this one. Seems like it snows enough every other day just so the roads get slippery and this old lady don't like slippery roads.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes Maxine, you guys have gotten pounded this year....have been watching on the news. I was up in Illinois a couple of weeks ago and it was cold but not much snow....though it did snow the day we left a couple of inches. Unfortunately was not a pleasure visit.

I had some more open up today....

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

One more...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Love the last one Steve, just love those Large-cupped varieties--mine are a bit slow this year. I have most of mine under deciduous red oaks that did not bother to lose their leaves until January as opposed to the usual Thanksgiving (and its already budded out again) and we had a really dry fall and early winter. Not sure what's going on--I think they are just enjoying watching me wait. They are all up and growing well and many have buds. But I have a few when they finally get started blooming; and some oddballs as well as the more common ones. I think my 'February Gold' has decided to be March Gold here this year.

A 'Smattering" of blooms on 'Texas Star' (Narcissus x intermedius) and 'Golden Dawn'. The 'Sacred Chinese Lady' (Narcissus tazetta orientalis) and 'Erlicheer' have both bloomed and are finished.

There are buds on 'Butter and Eggs' (Narcissus x incomparibilis) and I think this one's called 'Double Campernelle' (Narcissus x odorus 'Plenus')--so both should bloom in a couple of days. I guess its just going to be mid-March here before they put on anything that resembles a good show here.
=)

Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Narcissus 'Grand Monarque' a tazetta just opened this week

Chris

Thumbnail by chrisw99
Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

My Narcisuss 'Erlicheer' are in full bloom. I have a couple of clumps and they never fail to please. Great for cutting, too.

Chris

Thumbnail by chrisw99

Nice job Chris! =)

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

The Erlicheers are beautiful....I love those and am going to plant some next year. I have planted them many times but neglected to order them this past year at the new house.

Debbie, I have Butter and Eggs planted as well and am looking forward to seeing it bloom. Sounds like you've done some shopping at Old House Gardens - is that where you and Chris are getting your heirloom bulbs? I buy from them each year. Some of the hyacinths and narcissi you are both mentioning I have not seen offered anywhere but there.

Mid-March for me too!

Actually Steve--I have never bought anything from them before, but I might buy some Hyacinth's this year from them. I guess I better order them soon, right? Do they sell out quick? I need more time to research what I want and figure out how much room I have for them. The reason I don't buy Narcissus from them is I know/am friends with 3 of their Texas growers and get them directly from them. I'll dmail you about that.

This is really a pitiful contribution here, but it is one I haven't seen yet on here yet so ya'll might want to see it. I'm thinking this one will fill in a bit more before its all said and done (it always has before anyway). It's in the back yard in an area which is pretty weedy right now due to the fact that we've got a major back fence destruction/construction subdivision job going on out back which has diverted my attention/work efforts. But I am hoping the weather holds and I can get 5 yards of mulch dumped on my driveway next Monday or Tuesday. So hopefully, the area will look a bit better at "peak" Narcissus time here anyway.

This is Narcissus x intermedius 'Texas Star'. And it's just starting up--the reason I have this in the back yard is the blooms are only the size of a quarter. Most of my daff's are out front for "curb appeal" but they are at least large enough to be seen from the street. I just like to grow a few of this one is because it is 'Texas Star' and I like the heirlooms too.

I would show you my 'Erlicheer' but they've bloomed and are nothin' but leaves now--just like my Hyacinths. I guess we are just blooming out of synch here this year.
=)

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Debbie, OHG sells out quickly in the fall. Their rarest stuff does sell out fast - you should be fine for a few months, but by August or September I'd have my order in.

Here are some returning from last year that are opening - don't remember the variety.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2008 11:46 PM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Some big ones and some small ones...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Debbie I have ordered from OHG and yes you do need to order early!! They are a good company though.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow steve I love that grouping. I think you two have me convinced I need more!!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2008 9:05 PM

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

One more.......

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

You should, marie....thanks!...daffodils are great, aren't they?? And so reliable...

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yep I am convinced!!

A couple more are starting to open up here--great variety there Steve. =)

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Lovely pics all!

bonitin yours looks like Tete-a-tete, mine have been flowering for some time now but are in full swing at the moment. They have a smaller flower and can very anything from 10cm tall to 30cmm at least if happy and established, they can take time to establish but when they do they increase well.

This is a happy group of mine on the 27th, they start more yellow.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Yesterday Jetfire was opening, the trumpet goes a deep orange and tepals recurve later. As soon as I go out with the camera the sun disappears!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I don't know what this one is called, it's similar to another which the name escapes me just.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I have a King Alfred looking one open too, a mixture of already-here daffs. This one is mid sized, haven't a clue to it's name.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Love the "Jetfire", Wallaby.....wonderful pictures!

Nice pictures Wallaby--Your Jetfire must have more "fire in its jets" than mine does--LOL
Mine not blooming yet--my Narcissus are sooo slow this year other than some of the tazetta's. I love those last two unknowns--nice gems left there for you!

=)

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Chris' Erlicheers have convinced me to order about 200 this fall. I planted lots of them at my old house and they just got better and better each year, and now I am having Erlicheer withdrawal as I neglected to order them this past fall.

I have seen them advertised in Van Bourgondien as a "summer daffodil" and you can buy them now....has anyone has any experience with this? I mean, I wouldn't expect them to perform well in our heat at that time of year so I think I'll pass, but I am surprised that someone would opffer a daffodil for spring planting....kind of weird. Mine always bloomed in early March here; nowhere near summertime.

There were bulb companies offering summer flowering ones here too last year, again this year. They are like the late offered seed potatoes, I guess kept in unnatural conditions to unforce then 'prime' them, lol, and they ask a lot of money for them. I have no desire to see them out of season either, they will just have to re-establish to a normal season afterwards..

Maybe your weather has been too warm Deb, they need a certian amount of cold.

I have some new species I got from miniaturebulbs which I am excited about, I put them in pots and dare any Narcissus fly to get them.

5 of N bulbucodium conspicuus which should flower better than the others I have, supposed to flower in March.
2 only of N. nobilis var nobilis , they are expensive but so unusual!
3 of N. tazetta var odoratus which are apricot scented, mmm, pretty too.

http://www.miniaturebulbs.co.uk/acatalog/narcissus_sp.html

I grow them Steve--'Erlicheer'--but they are long finished for the year (pic attached) came and went early this year. Mine is just a weird picture that shows the front, back, and buds all in one shot--I also think you can see my ugly lawn this time of year (that view's on the house). I got them from Texas growers, they are always blooming when Chinese Sacred Lady and Double Roman bloom. My earliest.

Janet they will be OK, they are just acting a little strange this year. My Narcissus have never failed me yet, but I am not a good photographer so I don't put everything up here I have blooming. My camera was a gift from my daughter and if I replace it with a newer/better one, her feelings will be very hurt. I also have Narcissus bulbocodium conspicuus--make sure you tell us how the other 2 do.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2008 11:23 AM

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Very pretty, Debbie - I knew you grow them but knew yours were finished. Thanks for posting your picture! Me love Erlicheers.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Alright would you all stop!! I feel like I need all of the ones posted!! I am going to have to ask Dh to dig up another patch of grass so I can plant these this fall!!
wallaby I love those pictures!!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pics everyone of your heart-warming daffs.

Wallaby I've been to that site of minature-bulbs, wow I wish I had discovered it earlier, I fell for many of them. I simply love minature-daffs.
I'll order from them for the next season. Hope they post also abroad.
I'm anxious to see yours in bloom.
Your tete à tete's are prettier than mine... Not sure though if mine are the same as the trumpets don't have an orange hue like in your pic. They are also single flowered.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.