Raspberries?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

I'm thinking these are raspberries. It's not a great picture as it wasn't taken for this purpose. I can get better ones tomorrow if needed.
We moved into this house the end of Sept. This picture was taken around then.
I have no idea how old these canes are. I do know nothing has been taken care of here in a long time.
I want to know what I should do with them? Do I cut them back and see what happens this year or just get rid of them?
This is my first growing experience with raspberries. I did find an old 2004 post from darius on how to plant raspberries.
I'd really like them somewhere else and probably in a raised bed as we live on the Oregon Coast with lots of rain.
My MIL has some Everbearing ones I would like to get and put in here on the property.
Thanks,
Karen~

Thumbnail by somermoone
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Most raspberries can be cut back in the spring and allowed to grow back. They sometimes bear on fresh canes. Depends on the cultivar. I can't really even tell for sure what they are from the picture. As for moving them, as soon as the soil permits do it. Remember that they have long roots that sometimes go down, usually go out sideways with no great depth. Breaking off the roots isn't much of a problem. They just grow new ones. In fact, root pruning is good for most plants.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

If you want to move them, now is a good time in our maritime climate where the ground never freezes. Dig up each larger cane with as much root mass as you can get. Prune the cane down to 4 inches and re-plant the whole thing in your new bed. You can plant them about a foot and a half apart, and they will fill in your row. New canes will sprout, and these will carry your crop. There can be different pruning methods for everbearing or single crop varieties, so notice when they fruit to try to determine this.

If you want to just leave them where they are to see if you like this variety (before going to all the trouble to make a new bed for them), prune each larger cane to about 4 feet (or look to see where the old dried flowers from last year's berries are and prune that part off) and prune out the smaller canes completely, leaving larger canes about 6 inches apart. If they are everbearing, they will probably give you a crop in mid to late June. If you choose to do this, give them some compost mulch to provide a little nourishment and keep down the weeds. If they are single crop berries, I think the canes will die and need to be taken out so the new canes can grow in. Prune out the smaller canes so the bigger ones will have space. (notice I am better at telling other people to keep up with their pruning than I am at doing it myself) I let my raspberries become a tangle, and it is taking me lots of effort to re-do.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Thanks.
I think I will just leave those where they are as you have suggested and see what they do.
I'm going over to DMIL's to get some everbearing. We had so many raspberries last year! I'm actually going to make up some jam here pretty soon.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

We just put in some rasberries. The advice was to plant Meeker because they resist root rot in our moist climate. Too bad they can't be reproduced by planting the pruned canes. I was told you have to get part of the root to divide them.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I do have Meeker, and they have a great flavor as well as doing pretty well with my heavy soil. The ones I have tend to be a fairly viney plant, so I put up supports for them that I could tie the vines to. I also have some everbearing varieties that do fine in heavier soil. Autumn Bliss has the best flavor of the ones I have grown.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Beth, have thought of trying to plant the end of a branch that you will be pruning in the future and seeing if they will root. Once a good root system has started you can cut the started branch off a couple of inches above the soil and move it. Remove the remainder of the old branch just like you would for pruning. These companies have to have a way of reproducing the plants. If they won't start roots once they are removed from the plant, and don't send out new shoots from the old roots, then either planting the berries which have lots of seeds in them, then rooting still connected branches must be the answer.

I'm going to experiment when they get bigger. I've seen Autumn Bliss in the store and I need to plant some of those, too!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have a couple each Apache & Arapaho and they are not spreading like I want them to and haven't started bearing yet. I'm going to the branch tip pinning in a few weeks to see if I can get more plants. I've also ordered new plants from Gurney's. I'm eager to get some berries from these plants. I got the first 2 from a fellow DGer who harvests bucketfuls from his every year.

I have old fashion thorny blackberries given to us years ago that have some Am. Indian name and are wonderful. He had a UPick patch so we knew they were good. But I want some thornless ones. I've heard that you lose flavor when you give up thorns. Time will tell.

Nashville, IN(Zone 5b)

I haven't noticed any flavor loss, but then again I am too busy stuffing the berries into my mouth to notice! An old thorny cultivar is Kiowa, very good, but very thorny.

I have tried to root bramble cuttings, and no luck. All the red raspberries are best as suckers, which is how the commercial companies do it. They have a bed that they fertilize the heck out of, and irrigate, and keep sprayed free of grass, and those suckers just pop up all over the 3 foot wide rows. Then they go though and dig out what to sell and start over the next year.

Blackberries and black raspberries are best propagated by the home gardener with tip rooted canes. Go ahead and tip your plants primocanes as you normally do (in June here in zone 5), but don't tip all of the laterals that develop. Leave some of those to reach a cleared space of ground, and the cane will take care of the rest. I literally can't keep up with my blackberry and black raspberry beds, they are always having too many new plants coming up, crowding out the primary's I am managing for fruit.
Some problem, eh?

Do you want to share some for postage? It will be a long time before my canes reach the ground!

Nashville, IN(Zone 5b)

BB,
I'd like to, but I run a registered nursery in our state, and I am on Oregon's list as a plant shipper to that state. Oregon has pretty strict regs on what I can and can't ship there. For good reasons, what with your state's agricultural business. I also can't send anything to Oregon without notifying your Plant Quarantine Department (or some sub dept. in the Dept. of Ag). But I bet you could post what you were looking for and find a west coast gardener with an overflow of bramble starts.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this is yet another instance where being both a professional and personal berry grower has me conflicted.
Best of luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.

I understand! No problem. I just planted a couple but I will only get primocanes this first year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.