My "Lab"

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I just wanted to post a picture of my light setup and seedlings. I start the seeds on the top shelf and them move them to the bottom when they are bigger. I have a 10' fold out table with 3 cinderblocks and a board that make a shelf. I got some containers to keep everything organized (seeds, baggies, markers) in and put them under the shelf. I put all of my soils under the table.

Thumbnail by jlp222
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Wow! Looks great!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks! I have another table where I bottom heat my plants. I really like my set up. For a beginner, I think I did pertty good!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Very nice! You're off to a great start there!

If I could make one suggestion for a potential improvement--maybe it's there and I just can't see it in the picture, but you'd probably be better off if you got some lights down there on the lower level too. To keep seedlings from getting leggy, it's best to have them no more than a couple inches below the lights, and if the two lights over the top of your setup are your only lights, seedlings that get moved to the bottom aren't going to be close enough to the lights.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I try to keep them from getting leggy by putting those in the available area on the top shelf closest to the lamps. I have hyacinth vines and sweet peas on the bottom shelf right now and haven't had a problem with it.

Thanks for the tip though! This place is so helpful! Jennifer

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Being in zone 8b you probably don't have to start anything indoors, do you?
If you are like me, though, you probably just get bored with not being outdoors in the colder months. LOL

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

You're right Windy, but I like to get started as soon as I can. I can't wait to transplant everything outside! I am building a veggie garden (go look in my blog under "my veggie garden") and I am already nagging my hubby to help me construct the frame. I still have about 3 weeks before the last supposed frost, but I can't wait!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

jlp222, I absolutely loved finding your photo this morning. It reminds me of what I've done to my dining room (which we don't use.) Last night my husband hung two 48-inch florescent fixtures under a 40-yr. old table I don't use with chains to raise and lower the grow lights. I have my seedlings under it. My only cost was the bulbs. I'm also a beginner at growing seedlings and I also love this site--it has been SO helpful! This is all experimental for me, but I love the challenge of growing things from seeds. By the way, what kind of bulbs are you using in the lamps?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Regular old 60 watt bulbs.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm sort of a beginner with the lights and seedlings too. Love looking at your set-up.

So you have just regular 60 watt bulbs in your lamps and you can grow seedlings well that far away? Very interesting.

I also read somewhere that the seeds need heat such as in the mats for germinating, but that seedlings enjoy temps more like 60 or so degrees.... What do you do in that regard--or how does it work for you?

You're so lucky to be in zone 8--and be able to plant out early. I am wondering how I am going to keep these tender little things going until April 18 or later...

Keep us up to date on your progress! I love looking at the photos! t.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks tabasco, but with that name, you should be down here in Louisiana!

The lamps I have are from Lowe's. I think I paid about $12.00 each for them. The bulbs are regular 60 watt bulbs which is the highest wattage the lamps can take.

If you can see, I have a thermomester hanging on the wall behind my lamps. It doesn't give me the soil temperature of course, but the area stays between 75 and 80 degrees, except for yesterday when it got up to almost 90. It will probably get low tonight since it is supposed to get down to about 33. Yuck. It was 80 yesterday during the day and 73 at midnight last night. You've got to love this Louisiana weather!

I also bottom heat most of my seeds at first with another set up I came up with (pictured below). I have a Rubbermaid container with 2 strands of Christmas lights inside. I put an aluminum cookie sheet over the top (leaving an opening for the air to circulate, I don't cover the entire top of the container). I put my seedlings on top of the cookie tray and Viola! It works like a charm!

This message was edited Feb 26, 2008 10:10 PM

Thumbnail by jlp222
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Yep...necessity is the mother of invention! You did good, Girl! :)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Very creative. I'm going to have to get my Christmas lights out again!

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

What a great way to use up the ones that are no longer fit for the trees. I have several where only half the strand lights up. I wonder if those would work? Helen

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't see why not. I have 2 strands (I have no idea how long they are) inside this container. They stay about 4" from the bottom of the tray, so if you only had half the light working you may just want to move them up a little closer.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

You go, girl!!!

Winnetka, IL

jlp222- you are brilliant!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Well, like someone above said, "Necessity is the mother of invention". And being broke helps too : )

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Jennifer, great setup! Good thinking with the twinkle lights, aren't they the handiest things?!
Cathy

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is a picture of it today. The seedlings are all grown up and most are outside now. A few slow gerimators are still under lights (mainly passis).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.