About coleus...

(Zone 4a)

Can they be winter sown???

Macon, GA(Zone 8a)

Greetings --

I suppose you could, if you're in a zone with a long enough growing season, but I don't.

This will be my fourth year Winter Sowing in zone 5 and there are few things I start indoors, but coleus is one of them.

If you've got enough seed, consider trying a single container and see what happens. You might find that the timing works out well for you.

Good growing,

Liane

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I have wintersown coleus twice. This year I purchased some packs of seed that I plan to start indoors. It seems that coleus take a while to sprout, early sprouts get killed by frost and they take forever to get going. It seems that in both cases the plants just started looking decent about the time the first frosts of fall set in and turned them to mush.

- Brent

(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the info - I think I will pass on doing the winter sowing on coleus...

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I winter sowed 3 or 4 containers of them this year and they all have done fine. Of course, I live in Texas and our winter is not winter, so I would listen to the "northerners"
I thought they'd be hard to grow, but I swear, every little seed looks like it came up. I did plant some inside too and they are really doing good. Don't know why I thought coleus were hard to start

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.