Anyone growing a moro blood orange?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Outside? I'm thinking about give one a shot but I don't know if I can get the dark red color. I have enough heat to get the sweetness and I think they wil make it through one of my winters.

Just wondering if someone has experience growing one of these?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I had a wonderful moro blood orange when I lived in San Bernardino, CA - also 9a. Very productive. I found that allowing the fruit to "store" on the tree a couple of weeks beyond the time the rinds had full color helped insure the flesh would be red throughout. I'd like to have one here, but with tangerines, kumquats and Meyer lemons I'm about out of room. Yuska

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Tangerines are my favorite and grow well here. I have room for another two trees then I'm out of fruit tree room. I've had blood oranges before and like the flavor. Also it would just be an odd thing growing in my yard.

How many months of cold did you get in CA? Chill hour wise I'm around 600 hundred chill hours.

I was hoping to fine someone in FLA or southern GA where I know exactly what their climate is. Humid etc.

Last question, any pests etc that caused you a problem with the blood orange?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry - I don't remember the chill hours. The humidity level was lower than what we have here, and the soil was a sandy loam. Here it is a tough black clay, but the citrus flourishes anyway. IN CA, we had a freak winter with temps at 18 degrees two nights in a row and a neighbor's grapefruit tree really suffered - we thought it was a goner. But it revived and produced the following season. My moro was self-fertile and absolutely pest free.

You might try searching the University of Florida's web sites for info. I've found the research there to be quite helpful. Yuska

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you. I don't get below about 25 degrees and that's only for a few hours after mid night. Soon as the sun comes up we're headed back into the 40's. Temperature wise I think I'm fine. I grow other cold hardy critus without a problem. I read some where that blood oranges aren't grown in Texas because they don't really get the red color. What grows in Texas (southern part) seem to grow well for me.

As far as soil I have a sandy rich loam. The dirt is actually black, a little on the acidic side but very rich. Pretty much what ever I stick in the ground will grow as look as it can take the heat and humidity.

I've been looking around for a blood orange and my best shot seems to be a lady on Ebay who grows them in SC but she has never had one in the ground. She's colder then where I am and can't grow them year long outside. Looks like I'll just have to try one. She has a few moro blood oranges on flying dragon root stock.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.